Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Wow...aren't we the busy group! Go Jan!! Have you done the 2 kites for week 57 (I think it is)...can you post a thread for them? I've done only 1 kite for each kite week as I picked what I thought would be the easier ones first. I'd love to see yours and know any tips you might have..I haven't done BLC or BRC.

Elle. you definetly need to lay the whole thing out to look at it. You might want to move a few around and it'll help you decide what to do with your "redos" too. And...I'm leaning towards doing the trapunto...LOL!

Blinky..looking forward to seeing your block..Luv, so glad you'll be able to get on board again with your quilt!

I haven't really decided on a final for the design..I might do one trapunto, then hand quilt it to see...may as well...right??
Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Wow...aren't we the busy group! Go Jan!! Have you done the 2 kites for week 57 (I think it is)...can you post a thread for them? I've done only 1 kite for each kite week as I picked what I thought would be the easier ones first. I'd love to see yours and know any tips you might have..I haven't done BLC or BRC.

Elle. you definetly need to lay the whole thing out to look at it. You might want to move a few around and it'll help you decide what to do with your "redos" too. And...I'm leaning towards doing the trapunto...LOL!

Blinky..looking forward to seeing your block..Luv, so glad you'll be able to get on board again with your quilt!

I haven't really decided on a final for the design..I might do one trapunto, then hand quilt it to see...may as well...right??
I don't suppose you have the expression 'In for a penny, in for a pound' do you? Makes me smile that you get so close to the end, and then invent something that will take you longer to finish it Patti, LOL.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:57 AM

Ok here are 3 of my finished blocks...they are done a little different than what the pattern is for each. I just finished the pink one on the bottom right and promised I would post a picture of it. Thank you all for making me feel welcome even though I am just starting out :-)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156005.jpe  
Old 01-08-2011, 01:01 PM

Blinky, lovely blocks. Just a tip, make sure that when you are doing the same rows you donīt do as I did and make two blocks the same colour. I have had to stitch two of mine and thats only on the firt row.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:11 PM

Thanks Butterflyspain! You know I was thinking the same thing...especially an end block and a triangle border block the same color...yikes!! This could get tricky! Would I probably should do is row by row and not go according to the schedule sheet...but is seems more fun going by the schedule ;) I am thinking there is some type of spread sheet on the DJ site that may let you place your blocks on it as you go to see at a glance where they are located. Will check it out. I would put them on my design board when it is clear of my latest project but I don't want to tie up my design board for a long project like the DJ. I won't be able to use it for any projects in between.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 PM

Here is the link to the dj design wall. Looks a little tricky...not sure if I can do it. But it sure would be organized and you could make sure you didn't have the same colors in one area.

http://www.smastbrook.net/dj/djvdwall.htm

Any tips would be welcomed :-(
Old 01-08-2011, 02:10 PM

Blinky, your blocks look great! I need to get back to mine!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:39 PM

Yes! Please join us, Sharon! I am really getting into it now. It took me awhile to get back into it. I just learned how to paper piece so that has been handy. I have maybe 20 blocks done from the past. And I have never done one of the triangular border blocks yet! :?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

I don't know where I got it, but somewhere early on, I printed out a block pattern - really just a grid, and I coloured in the squares with felt tip pens. Not necessarily the colours of my fabrics, just to use as a reminder, because I was aiming to make a trip round the world format. I assigned a particular print to each of my coloured blocks and that's how I kept track.

If you can't find a print out, perhaps a sheet of graph paper would help, just draw out a grid of 13 x 13 squares that you can colour in. I never thought about the tris for a few weeks, so I had to rearrange a few at the end, to avoid same fabrics being next to one another.

I also crossed off the completed ones on this grid too - I know I have the software, but a visual reminder was useful, I didn't always want to fire up the notebook just to see what colour I was supposed to be using.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

Blinky...great looking blocks! I wouldn't worry about changing them up..it makes it more interesting!

I used that design board in the software for about the 1st 6 weeks or so. I abandoned it because it is so cumbersome to use. I recolored the quilt and tried to use similar fabrics to those colors on the blocks...then later..even gave up on that! At the end, I just laid it out, moved what I didn't like and vowed that "its MY quilt"..so I can put any block anywhere I want to. I'll lay out all the tris when I am ready to sew them and move them around too if I need to.

Haha!! Lesley...yup, thats exactly what I was thinking. Here I am, fairly close, but then adding an element that will take longer...it wouldn't take much longer though...I'll machine the extra batting with "wash away", then the only time consuming part will be trimming around the design. I'll try one before I totally commit to it though. I'm thinking it might look really good though. (Besides, Elle just wants to catch up with me:D:)