Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 11-03-2009, 05:06 PM

Does the original jane use one material for all the sashings, background ? I am trying to decide if I should buy a large amount of a off white or cream for this
Old 11-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by STAR
Does the original jane use one material for all the sashings, background ? I am trying to decide if I should buy a large amount of a off white or cream for this
yes, the original jane used one color for the background fabric.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

What did she use for the backing?

I haven't seen any pictures of it.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Janstar
Thanks Kelly! Are there many more mirror designs? I marked I9 as being mirror. I'll probably drive you nutty asking about that software.
right now i only know of A1, G2, I9, K1 K10, and M9 - but i don't believe thats all of them. i've only made around 75 different jane blocks and a handful of triangles.

i will be working at least 2 weeks ahead (i'm hoping to work 1 month ahead of everyone) and when i put up the tutes and piecing order for that weeks blocks i'll mention which ones must be printed as a mirror image.

i'm going to put up the paper piecing number order for the people who will be using the book to make their blocks because the book doesn't give any guidance in that area.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bearisgray
What did she use for the backing?

I haven't seen any pictures of it.
i've never seen the backing either i can only assume it muslin.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 PM

ok Klue some more questions because I am dunb and not sure i got it right. the original she used the same for the background but then different for the sashing and outside border and scallops?? or is this all the same fabric. I see in the listing that is can be different, if I want it to, but I am just trying ti igure what I want to get and how much. thanx again
Old 11-03-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Janstar
Thanks Patti. I'm just using stuff from my stash. It takes such a small amount of fabric so it should work out fine. I'm buying a full bolt of muslin though because you can always use that.
I'm doing something similar. I'm using batiks from my stash, and I'll buy more as we go along if I find I'm running low on a certain colour, and I'm buying 15 yards of muslin for the background. I haven't decided what I want for the backing yet, but I figure I've got plenty of time to think about it!

Jan
Old 11-03-2009, 06:38 PM

Klue - in the schedule I noticed that RS2 is on the 2nd and 23rd of august is this correct?
Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 PM

I'm in and will try to keep up. I've bought some of the DJ fabric and may use up some of my stash since I'm having trouble finding all the different DJ fabric that is in the orginal quilt. I had bought the DJ book back in September and have since gotten the software. I know this is going to be a fun project.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by STAR
ok Klue some more questions because I am dunb and not sure i got it right. the original she used the same for the background but then different for the sashing and outside border and scallops?? or is this all the same fabric. I see in the listing that is can be different, if I want it to, but I am just trying ti igure what I want to get and how much. thanx again
the original jane doesn't have total sashing. some blocks have sashing and then other blocks are just right next to each other.

the best any one can come up with is she made do with what she had and then put sashing around some of the smaller blocks to try and bring them more in line with each other.

even with doing that the block sizes vary from 3.5 inches up to about 5 inches.

when people started to make their own janes it was decided to make all the blocks a uniform size and 4.5 inches was the size that was used in the book.

the 4.5 size block along with the 5x8 triangle looks really nice with 0.5 inch sashing so when EQ came out with the software they put in the ability to do sashing all over instead of the random way used in the original jane.

there are basically 2 types of "janiacs" the purest - who does everything just like jane did or tries really hard to stay on that jane purist line and then there's people who make their own way - these people make a jane but change it to suit their style and artistic desires.

so if you're trying to make something as close as possible to the original you really wouldn't use complete sashing all around the quilt - just some of the smaller blocks have sashing.

if you want to have sashing every where most people have used their background fabric as the sashing too.

i have seen sashing with different colored cornerstones which is what i'll be doing - so my sashing is indigo and then depending on the striped colored sections my cornerstones will either be red or white - but i'm not trying to make my quilt like the original.