Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Pictures. >

1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Pictures.

1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Pictures.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by GladGrams
I am looking forward to trying a BOM for the first time. It appears I may actually be home for most of the year in 2011 :thumbup: If none of my children in the states have another crisis.

Question: Should I choose a palette for the whole project now and purchase enough fabric to complete it?
It all depends on what you like if you like a coordinated look then go out and purchase enough fabrics to make 12 blocks. If you like scrappy then use up your stash ;-). I went and purchased fabrics all from the same line. I also bought fabric for the backing I purchased 5 yds for that just in case. I purchased 3 fabrics for the roofs 1/2 yard each. I purchased 1 fabric for the sky - 1 1/2 yrds. Then I have 3 or 4 other fabrics for the houses themselves I think I purchased 1 yard each.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 PM

I have been working on my church block this evening, however am very, very frustrated. I stitched the door paper piece and the first window that was on template A. It turned out really good. My question is, did you have to adjust the last two templates to make them fit? I adjusted my printer to measure the first "test 1" block" at an inch and can not get template B and C to measure correctly. I am so frustrated that I am almost ready to give up on this block of the month. I really want to do this, but maybe need to go to another project. Please help!!

Happy Quilting!
Debbie
Old 01-09-2011, 06:29 PM

Here we go. My first attempt at paper piecing. Boy, is it ever different, felt like I was doing everything backwards to any other type of sewing I've done! After a few bad starts, it turned out not too badly, although I can see a couple places that aren't perfect by any means. I did do the door section twice, as I finished the first one and decided I didn't like the door colour, so this is the second set. Still not sure whether to do a cross or something else over the door, it still looks a little plain to me.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156960.jpe   attachment-156961.jpe  
Old 01-09-2011, 06:31 PM

I am looking forward to trying a BOM for the first time. It appears I may actually be home for most of the year in 2011 :thumbup: If none of my children in the states have another crisis.

Question: Should I choose a palette for the whole project now and purchase enough fabric to complete it?
I just bought the sky fabric, since I have very little blue, and will use my stash for the remainder. Will decide on backing and maybe sashing later once I see all the blocks.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:41 PM

quilts4fun, amazing windows! Really like your block.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:44 PM

I'm also using my small stash but I will most likely hit JoAnns and try to match up a few yards of this and that...if I can find them! And thank you for all the kind words I'm so happy I found you ladies and gents(if any) and this board. I love seeing everyones treasures.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 PM

I chose from my stash for the sky and one other print, these two will be in every block and the other parts will be what ever moves me.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 PM

I think the Church blocks just keep getting better & better!! :thumbup: Keep up the good work everyone.
:D :D :D :D
Old 01-09-2011, 08:19 PM

Ha! This is the best & only "Block" party I've ever been too! All of them are very impressive and very well done! :XD:
Old 01-09-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by sew_it_up
Here is my block. As we are in Arizona, there is a Palo Verde Tree (sort of maybe), left, Ocotillo plant, center, Saguaro Cactus, right. The Palo Verde is the State Tree, the blossom of the Saguaro is the State Flower.
that is so great, love the cacti...