Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion >

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Question: Page 151 bottom triangle pic and diagram don't seem to match at all!!!!!! Does anyone have an answer to this? Are there anymore of these mistakes? I have been "studying" these pics/diagrams all morning and am trying to see the quickest/easiest way to do each one-if there is such a thing. Looking at some of these blocks, I wonder how in the world she constructed hers. Some look like she just sewed one piece of fabric to another hunk of fabric, then cut into some design and then sewed it to another piece........oh, well we will never know.......yesterday I did do 3 blocks (6 1/2") and there too wondered how she manages some of these in such a small space???? Don't you wonder what she was thinking when she did this quilt. I think as I do this-I may shelf it before it is finished-I am going to keep a journal of how I have done each of these...just for my own reference...certainly not for duplication...this is a one time "do".......
The printer erroneously printed the photo for the 12th tri on the Left Side twice [as the photo for LS 2 as well] There is no pic for the 2nd tri on the left. The drawing for the triangle is correct. To my knowledge the other sketches have the right photo with it. Brenda Papadakis is a mathematician by trade and therefore very knowledgeable when it comes to drafting patterns. She was given sole permission at one point to draft the patterns for Jane Stickle's original quilt. There are times that you will find her "patterns" are not exactly what the original block is like. For example, A1, the very first block is drafted very straight, but Jane's block has a sort of octagon in the middle instead of a perfect 4-halfsquare triangle 'pinwheel.' I am a little behind -- just completing triangle TR2 - on page 127. My "tree" will look more like Jane's. If you note the top - Brenda has a triangle with straight bottom edge. Jane's "tree trunk" goes to a slightly rounded point, still quite pointy though, and the top section slants down.

B-11, Melissa's Cross on page 30 is also slightly different. Jane has more background showing around the outside. The "melons" [I think they call them?? - pointed ovals] On A-7, Dad's plaids, are much more delicate in the original.

There are a few things to consider while making your own DJ - most importantly realize it is "yours" - so do what you are most comfortable with and what is most pleasing to you. Branda did the world a favor - as did those who gave her the permission - by drafting patterns for all of us to make our versions of this beautiful piece of art. She drafted the patterns without making the quilt at that point. I am sure as she continues to make each block, she may make some slight changes in design herself.

I don't know how Jane determined to construct hers - people think it was totally constructed by hand, but the sewing machine was designed in the 1840s. It certainly is possible she had access to one. I also envision she did just sew one hunk of fabric to another. Quiltmaking during the Civil War was not only a way women could make a little money or make something to give comfort to their loved ones, it was more than likely also a way of relieving stress while their loved ones were off fighting a horrible war. Fabric availability was rare - production down or non-existent and they used whatever leftovers they had. Just prior to the war - 1835-1860 - the development of beautiful rich dyes [some of which were poisonous!] was amazing. Therefore the quilts - like Janes - made during the War were actually very bright and sometimes even cheerful, even though it was the toughest of times.

Well... here I go bending your ears again!!! [I never was a history buff - in fact in grade school I failed history... interestingly back then the nuns made you write the correct answer 10-15 times each. I went through reams of paper, developed a photographic memory and now have total recollection!]

There have been a few places that I have posted tutes on the different ways of doing specific blocks. thatquilt.com will help - just know it is not the only way
Gus
Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 AM

So - went back thru posts and thought I would let Geri & other 'newcomers' know where to find a few tutes...

A1 - by Tyme post #229 and Gladys #795

A11 - post#523
B11 - post #804
B9 - posts # 752 & 804
C2 - post #1041-3
C4 - post # 1044
C5 - post #1014
C8 - post #1045
Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Thank you Cre8tvlwyr for all your help. Even though I am saving all these post, it is beginning to get out of hand. Thinking of buying a binder and printing these post as they come in.

Pauline
Old 05-11-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by memereof8 View Post
Thank you Cre8tvlwyr for all your help. Even though I am saving all these post, it is beginning to get out of hand. Thinking of buying a binder and printing these post as they come in.

Pauline
What a great idea!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 PM

a suggestion - If you go to the first page of this thread Nancy added the "attached file doc" link to the schedule that we are following and you can print out from there. As you see posts you like, you could simply write the post # on the line relating to the block. This way you won't have a binder full
Old 05-11-2012, 03:15 PM

I sincerely thank you for the insight you have provided on this "journey" I have decided to try to take. It will help me very much listing the comments on the various blocks that have been discussed previously and also "how" to print the info I want to without getting reams of printouts......copier ink is not cheap!!!!!!
I have been "studying" the blocks and seeing how I can "translate" them for myself........I think I will like this challenge, altho those triangles look a bit daunting, so I will save them until last!!!!
And as far as history in school and now as an adult....I agree, then it was just memorize and recite, now it is so relavent and informative......they did say we would need this in our future didn't they (teachers/nuns)...how true.....
Again thanks and so I go to try a few more blocks and eagerly wait for more postings on this board!!!!!!
bye now,
Old 05-11-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
a suggestion - If you go to the first page of this thread Nancy added the "attached file doc" link to the schedule that we are following and you can print out from there. As you see posts you like, you could simply write the post # on the line relating to the block. This way you won't have a binder full
First, I am not a computer know a lot, having said that I tried to do what you had directed and I just don't quite understand how..when I finally found the attached file doc/schedule....then do I write the post# on my hard copy of the schedule or somehow do it electronically.. I think a I am writing this, I am answering my own question....I am to note the post # on my hard copy for future reference...right?????That's what I'm going to do.......
Old 05-11-2012, 04:33 PM

ok.....I have tried to print some of the posts...but cannot......how did the ones who are printing things do it???????/
I have emailed for tech support from HP-my printer, but maybe there is a quick fix here I am missing???/
Old 05-11-2012, 04:34 PM

ok.....I have tried to print some of the posts...but cannot......how did the ones who are printing things do it???????/
I have emailed for tech support from HP-my printer, but maybe there is a quick fix here I am missing???/
Old 05-11-2012, 04:49 PM

Sorry for this double entry....and I figured out how to print from board......dummy me....time to shut down and have a cuppa......