Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion >

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Old 02-06-2013, 05:02 PM

I have decided to do one of these little jewels but have a few questions. Is it better to start a BOM with this quilt or just buy the book and dive in. I have actually ordered the book and can't wait to get my hands on it. I am pretty sure I read its addictive and already I feel it.
How do decide which procedure you will do on the blocks. How do youdecide on the colorways.
I am enjoying reading the comments you guys have posted and any advice will be appreciative.
Vickie
Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 PM

Hi, Vickie -- welcome from Louisiana! I don't think anyone in this group is doing the BOM. Gus (our group leader) came up with a schedule that mixes easy, moderate, and difficult blocks. The schedule is in the first post of this thread. I've thought about making the blue and white BOM with Stitchin' Heaven, but it seems awfully expensive. On the other hand, by the time you purchase the background fabric and the rest of the fabric, you've probably come close to spending that much and the fabric's chosen for you. You'll find dozens of finished DJ's in the quilt qallery on this form and if you google Dear Jane quilt you'll find loads of them. That'll help you decide if you want to go with the traditional Civil War fabrics, or batiks, or retro, or lots of other choices. As far as deciding on the procedure for making the blocks, I recommend that you get the computer software so you can print out the patterns. The software is an Electric Quilt product, but you don't need Electric Quilt to use it. There are also a number of tutorials on the internet that show the techniques used on the blocks. Take a look at this one: http://www.thatquilt.blogspot.com/
Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM

Hey Vickie, So glad you are going to do this quilt. Here is another site that has good info and tutorials: http://auntreensquilts.blogspot.com/ Hope you enjoy the journey.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 AM

Katy, you mentioned the software, is it just patterns or doesnt the book have the patterns in it? I checked out the blogs and am glad you mentioned them, they seem to have lots of tutorials
Vickie
Old 02-07-2013, 07:02 AM

Here are the first two blocks from the book and the paperpiecing patterns from the software. There are no instructions in the book, just the "outline" of the block. I'm not sure I could figure out how to make all the blocks without the software, but you may be fine with just the book.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]393662[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]393663[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]393664[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img003.jpg   img004.jpg   img005.jpg  

Last edited by katybob; 02-07-2013 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Got the pictures in the right order
Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 PM

Ok, I do see why the software would be valuable, because I too would not know how to piece together. My next question is where do I find it? Would anyone on here have one they aren't using?
Vickie
Old 02-07-2013, 12:15 PM

I'm pretty sure I purchased mine from Amazon. If you google Dear Jane software, you'll probably find a lot of places where you can compare prices.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM

Hi Vickiec, I'm using just the book. It's 'doable' but I bet it's easier with the software. If I can't figure out a pattern from the book I look here for tips as well as http://thatquilt.blogspot.com/ I use a mixture of paper piecing and applique as well as occassionally measuring and cutting with a ruler. I had been looking at BOMs for a couple of years and thought they looked expensive. I'm using my stash, but mine is not as planned as some of the others are doing (i.e. Civil War fabrics, only blue and white, etc.). Yes, it's addictive. So dive right in!!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:47 AM

hi Vickiec,
i bought the soft ware and to be totally honest... i don't use it!! it doesn't tell you how to put the blocks together, just gives you the patterns for 'pp' or foundation piecing.
the best thing about it is you can enlarge or reduce the size of the blocks you're wanting to make. the programme confuses me every time i go to use it, as i can never even remember how to even print off a block!!!!
soooo...
i would recommend using the book and the 2 sites everyone mentions on here... and have fun!!!
http://thatquilt.blogspot.co.uk/
http://auntreensquilts.blogspot.co.u...ique-demo.html
Old 02-10-2013, 03:08 PM

I'm back! It felt good to work on this block. Now if I can find a block to applique while I watch Downton Abbey tonight.

I-11 Coyote Chase

[ATTACH=CONFIG]394411[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails i-11-coyote-chase.jpg