2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion >

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 PM

Great blocks as always, Cindy and Gus. Here's Week 67:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]409873[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dj-week67.jpg  
Old 04-25-2013, 05:43 AM

Hello, CindyA! Thanks a lot! A big hug for you!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:57 AM

CindyA ... katybob ... Gus ...
I love all your blocks! And I love the fabric choices too!! Congrats!!!
Unfortunately, life intervened on my way again.
We did reform in a room in our House as a "storage" here we call "barn", where we keep the stuff that are not in use normally, as tools, camping items, my old elements of handicraft, etc.
So we were order, arrangement and cleaning to leave everything in place!
We did it!
But today at night I can just return to sewing! I am starting with the row "F", and I believe that F-1 returned to cut it upside down as A-1! Lol! : Eek:
It will be my DJ upside down! Hahaha!
I hope to finish my 4 blocks for the weekend to share with you!
A big hug for everyone!

Last edited by GV09; 04-25-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 AM

Hi everyone - beautiful blocks girls - just had fun looking at them all. I have jet lag today !!! - we came back to the UK this morning - having spent the last two weeks in Texas - not far from Dallas Fort Worth airport ! We are six hours ahead and had a 9 hour flight --- Feeling a bit yucky at the moment ! Had a wonderful holiday - had intended to do some handwork on my DJ - but tooooo busy ! We stayed with some English friends - our last evening spent in The Cheesecake Factory on Southlake Blvd - yummy !!
Need to get unpacked - washing done and hoping to feel normal soon !!
DottyD.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:45 PM

Dotty, I've been missing you and your blocks here on the board, and to think you were so close!! Well . . . relatively speaking. Sounds like a great trip, glad you are home safe and sound. I like Cheesecake Factory also, glad I can't go too often (lots of calories!!).

Gladys, uh-oh, upside down? I'm sure we've all done that at least once.

Beautiful blocks, Katybob. Love the colors. I don't know if I ever let you know I've been using the freezer paper you recommended. It goes through my printer without any problems and I like it. Thanks!

Monica, I love your basket block! I'm not crazy about the wide base but would not have thought to do what you did. Nice choice! And, Happy Birthday! Sounds like the perfect day - doing what you want at the pace you want to.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 PM

Dotty - ohhhhhhh I've got to contact the EQ people who developed the DJ software and see how I can get that Sharon Mastbrook's design wall for DJ to work soon. It would be so cool if I could play with the pictures of the blocks to move them around a bit rather than lay them all out.... a project that takes up about 100" square because of all the seams. I know there are some I will be keeping in the original position - for example, my A7 & A8 are both red [I wanted the 'Florence Nightingale' block to look more like the 'red cross!'] and I don't really want B2 and B3 together because they are so similar and I put such contrasting fabrics together in each of those blocks it doesn't look that great with mine. I've seen many completed Jane's that look fine done that way, dont get me wrong. But after spending as long as we all have, I want to have each in a place that I like

On a totally different note....REMEMBER THOSE SIGGY BLOCKS???? we were talking way way waaaaay back when about exchanging them to incorporate into our backs. I will send some questions out to my original list.... unless Nancy can suggest something easier??? I will PM everyone. Meanwhile - any of you who come regularly interested?? I would provide you with my home address in a PM and have you all send either a SASE or postage .... along with your completed siggy blocks of course! and take care of sorting and sending back those that come in after an allowance of time. Let me know...
Monica
Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 PM

Still working on catching up. Here is F-1, Big Top.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]410233[/ATTACH]

Signature blocks - I am definitely still up for that!!
Attached Thumbnails f-1-big-top.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 PM

Great block, Cindy. And I'm up for the signature blocks, too. And, Dotty, I'm so glad you had a good trip. Did you make it to some of the quilt shops while you were there? There are several good ones around Dallas.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 PM

I missed all Dallas area shops.... in Dec '07 we celebrated Christmas with my DIL's family in Denton, near Dallas. Her Mom took me to a "quilt store" the only one in town - and it had gone out of business ..... oh well. i keep hearing about wonderful TX quilt shops
Gus
Old 04-26-2013, 08:31 PM

I'm not ready to do net week's yet, but I thought I would mention something I noticed - neither K1 or K3 had background borders in Jane's original quilt. The picture of K1 makes this clear as does pictures showing the entire quilt - it is the sashing you see. If you look at the picture of the entire quilt, K2 is the only block in the row that actually has an extra border.

For K3 - there are 36 x 1/8" in 4 1/2" [a finished block]; 7x5 = 35...~very close to 36 so if you cut your pieces based on this factor... or 13 background squares and 4 print squares at 5/8 + 4/8[representing the seams]" or 1 1/8" and take a very scant 1/4" seam [shy of 1/4"] - you should end up with a 5" square that will finish 4.5". Just make sure the seams are slightly less that 1/4" - if that's hard - cut pieces slightly over 1 1/8".... havent figured out other pieces yet - very quickly - the first row around the 9patch center would then be cut 1 1/8" x 2 3/8" [3x5/8 + 4/8]; last round is cut 1 1/8" x 3 5/8" [5x5/8 + 4/8]

For K-1 -divide 4.5 by 5 equal parts and you need to have each section finish slightly over 7/8" [7/8 x 5 = 35/8 which is 4 3/8.... not quite 4.5] So do the same thing - either cut slightly larger or take slightly less than 1/4" seams - be sure to add your seam allowance first. Squares of solid background or print are cut at 7/8 + 4/8 or 1 3/8".... the two rectangles around the center span 3 widths or [3x7/8] +4/8 ...= 3 1/8" x 1 3/8" rectangles. for the 4 HST [half square triangles] cut them 7/8 + 7/8 or 1 3/4" squares right sides facing of background and print and sew a sem just shy of 1/4" on either side of a diagonal mark.[make two]

K4 - got my fabric picked out - excited about it - should say fabrics I have a reddish brown that I will sew on a heavy toile-like print.

Hope to have something to show soon!

Love your F1, Cindy - I havent made mine yet either