Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion >

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 AM

Yep Tyme - love the way you did your A-1 and also perfect circles!!

Are you using Karen Kay Buckley's "perfect circles" as well??

TymeTo Shine, how did you get your circles so perfect? I have tried, but have't accomplished yet. I have really enjoyed looking at everyones blocks. They are all so beautiful.

Thanks...I just followed the instructions on That Quilt. I have never appliqued by hand and the instructions for reverse applique really looked hard, but once I got going it was fun. I will have to check out the perfect circle thing, sounds interesting. I am really enjoying this DJ quilt as I am learning lots of stuff with it!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 AM

Nancy! WOW! That turned out great. I love your colors too! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
First set of three are for a Dear Jane using muslins and fabrics as close to her's as I can get. The second set of three are just using fabrics from my stash for a "Chocolate Dear Jane" made by Sandpat.
Judy, love the colors and prints in your blocks - they are Great!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by urgodschild2 View Post
I am getting confused with the talke about the signature block and this DJ quilt. Are you going to start a separate thread for those who want to do the signature block and the triangle or square thing?
I'm sorry urgodschild, I totally forgot to address this question yesterday...
Since our thread will go on well over a year [til September of 2013 is it??] I am keeping an interest list. In fact I am thinking of sending personal PMs to all to explain in a few days or so - that way I'm sure to touch base with everyone and if we get a new member I can PM them as well. Since the DJ will go on for a long time, I do not think it would be a good idea to exchange blocks until we are closer to the end, sometime in 2013. But I can keep everyone posted as to the number interested in the exchange so you can plan whether you want to cut rectangles to put your information on or create an actual block. Because of the great number of persons involved, creating a block for each could become both time consuming and costly. My suggestion was that every person who wanted to be included would be expected to send a rectangle for everyone in the exchange group. When I send out my PM I will also take a count of those who would like to make a complete block. I expect the number will be much smaller, but I will let all of those know so that you will all have a choice. This way all participants will prepare at least a rectangle for everyone [those who only want to do rectangles will only be asked to submit a rectangle for those wanting a whole block and those wanting a whole block will only make blocks for others who will submit a block, but small rectangles for those not making blocks]

I hope this makes sense??

I just think it would be nice for us to have signature 'fabrics' from everyone by the time this is done, without requiring so much time and money investment. At the same time, those who want the entire blocks can get the blocks from a few others and complete blocks around the signature rectangles they receive.

By the triangle or square thing - I assume you mean block A6?? did I answer the question ....or continue to confuse???
Gus

and...no it will not be on a different thread
Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 AM

I have not tried this yet, but watching the video, it looks like a great technique to possibly use on our week 4 blocks

http://www.hgtv.com/video/easy-circl...deo/index.html

It is for sewing curves without pins. I really liked the part at the end where depending on the direction you press the seam, the end result either looks pieced or appliqued!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:11 AM

OMG!!! brain freeze.......
don't try to 'wing it' by making a block and assume too much an hour after after flying from L.A. to Sacramento late one night and driving back the next day....

Yes, B-1 is reverse applique! duh....... so last night I thought I would rather do some handwork than stitch on the machine and had better get going quick [since I felt obligated to 'catch up' being I started this thread...]

Well.... using a template of the circle I made 4 and appliqued them on top !! I have done reverse applique many many times and actually like it. The circles on top give it a totally different look. Hmmmm.. since I needleturned right on the edge, do you think I can slit the background in middle of the circle and flip it?? I will give this a shot and report back!

Thanks, Nan for the A1 tute!!! I will give that one a try too...walk the dog first - maybe I will think more clearly......

Enjoy the day

Last edited by Cre8tvlwyr; 01-30-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 AM

Gus: add me to that interest list. I think the rectangle is the best idea for me.
Thanks
Jeanine
Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
when i made my blocks i machine basted the name and # of each block on a lower corner.
Did you see the corner block on Jane's quilt where she signed it?
I can try to find it if you want me to.

Bettia
Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 AM

hi all, I've been lurking and drooling over the lovely blocks.
lol, I gotta say that I am relieved to find out I am not crazy. I had also noticed a few blocks in the Dear Jane book I borrowed from the library seemed different than the pattern, like A1. I was thinking, am I the only one to notice this? if so, am I really that obsessed with perfection?
anyway, gorgeous work, I look forward to some more lurking and beautiful blocks...love all the different colors everyone is using.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by TymeToShine View Post
I have not tried this yet, but watching the video, it looks like a great technique to possibly use on our week 4 blocks

http://www.hgtv.com/video/easy-circl...deo/index.html

It is for sewing curves without pins. I really liked the part at the end where depending on the direction you press the seam, the end result either looks pieced or appliqued!
Thank you so much for sharing this link! I was going to applique my 4 circles, but now I think I will be doing this. Thanks again!!