Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 09-19-2014, 01:12 AM

Hi, I have just completed my 4th block - Delaware. I joined you a long time after this thread started and so I am way behind. I am loving making the "stars" - and improving my paper piecing technique. All of your blocks are so inspiring and I enjoy watching all the new blocks as they added.
Attached Thumbnails delaware.-post.jpg  
Old 09-19-2014, 02:36 PM

Dotty--more great purples I look forward to seeing more blocks!
Old 09-21-2014, 03:28 PM

I just discovered this forum, and have been lurking and drooling over this project. I am swamped w/ completing 12 carpenter's square blocks, and can't do this right now. (Even knowing I can't do it, didn't stop me from raiding my stash and picking out perfect fabrics for this project ) (and figuring out a possible lay out option) Anyway just wanted to let you ladies know how much I have enjoyed looking at your blocks.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:31 PM

Oh and I signed up just to keep my place on this thread, well maybe not "just" but pretty close! lol lol lol
Old 09-22-2014, 07:27 AM

Love the way your colors pop, Dotty! Welcome Kassaundra! It has been a fun challenge making this quilt. It ends up huge! I have gone thru a seam ripping in mine. I made it in 12 inch squares, 7 rows by 7 rows with 2 inch sashing. King size, my first. After throwing it on my bed, I decided to make it queen size instead for my son's bed. Since I made the side sashing different, it meant ripping two rows of stitches. So now it will be 6 x 7 rows. The extra stars will be pillow shams. Here is my Pennsylvania.
Attached Thumbnails 38-pennsylvania.jpg  
Old 09-22-2014, 02:32 PM

Hi Everyone
Welcome Kassaundra this is a love quilt to make I have learnt a great deal doing it, like toverly I also did the 12" blocks and yes it is a large quiltby turning the block on the point and adding a triangle as your boarder it works out smaller 6 x5 messures 84" x72" (I think I haven't put it together to take the correct measurements, hopefully this weekend)

Here is my Pennsylvania block

Attached Thumbnails 38.pennsylvania.jpg  
Old 09-24-2014, 04:26 AM

I haven't gotten notification about new posts in this thread and I missed these great blocks. Well done as usual, ladies. I love having them on the same page so you can see how different fabrics make them look like different blocks. Very nice.

I have a question for yinz (Pittsburghese for plural you LOL): how are you quilting your blocks/quilt? I have all my blocks done, need to find a place to lay them all out and decide on a layout. I'm just not sure how to quilt them. There are a lot of seams in the blocks so I see a lot of broken needles in my future. I don't like heavy quilting but know I have to do some quilting on the actual star sections. Suggestions please!
Old 09-24-2014, 07:11 AM

I am puzzling over the quilting also, janRN. I sort of want to do each star in it's own unique way with an overall meandering over the background and sashing. Here's a photo of my layout with the star sashing. Since it is light batik scrappy like the background, the sashing will blend in. But the little stars? no idea. Sorry for the double photos, it's a problem with the site, I haven't figured out yet.
Attached Thumbnails securedownload.jpg  
Old 09-24-2014, 08:19 AM

VERY nice Toverly - just love your choice of colours !!
Old 09-24-2014, 08:34 AM

Love it Toverly--I like the white sashing against the white background of your blocks. It makes all your stars seem to float-awesome. I was thinking the same about the quilting, especially since I'm going to QAYG. Do something in the stars then just meander in the background after it's all joined together. Still haven't decided on sashing color; my blocks all have different backgrounds so I have to find something to pull them all together. I just love the white you using.