Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars >

50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
I think we're in the same star boat! I'll find mine if you find yours!!
How's about after Christmas, we do some digging to find our fabrics and blocks and kick ourselves in the ( ) and get going again?????
Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM

Here are two that I missed this summer. New Jersey and New York.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]378887[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]378888[/ATTACH]
NJ: I guess could be anything Bruce Springteen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSFSX-Qh54
NY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-BOya8iwmI
Attached Thumbnails new-jersey-reduced.jpg   new-york-reduced.jpg  
Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
Here are two that I missed this summer. New Jersey and New York.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]378887[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]378888[/ATTACH]
NJ: I guess could be anything Bruce Springteen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSFSX-Qh54
NY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-BOya8iwmI
Sue, very pretty! I can't wait to see your quilt.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
The CD that comes with the book is only instructional for learning how to PP. You have to order the CD with the blocks separately but you can do what most of us did and take your book to Staples or Office Depot and have the spine taken off and put it in a 3 ring binder. Makes it easier to take copies. Hope that helps.

I am a geek, so I also downloaded the Foundation Factory module to accompany the book. It is not expensive and allows you to print the patterns with seam allowances, numbering, etc. You could even change the size of the blocks if you liked, with this.

It is available at www.quiltpro.com, in download or CD version.

Celine, to answer your earlier question, the book does not discuss assembly of the quilt. You can see how I did mine in sections on my blog, www.nickersmarie.blogspot.com. There are a number of posts showing the sections and close ups of the free motion quilting.

Have fun!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Nicky- your quilt turned out so GREAT!!! i love it. I am so excited to get mine put together- it's not going to be until January- but i have a plan & everything ready- i have to finish my 2 wool quilts first though & my daughter would really really like a tree skirt for christmas- so, i'm not even thinking about the stars for now- but when my sewing group meets in January we decided we would get together & work on what ever project we want to finish up- i was going to start a bargello- but decided to do my star quilt first...that gives me a few weeks to look at all of yours as they get posted & enjoy the show.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:02 AM

Nicky, I've had a look on your blog, your work is beautiful! You really improved on FMQ! Does Angela Walter's book Free Motion Quilting add something to the FMQ quilt along from Leah Day?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
Nicky, I've had a look on your blog, your work is beautiful! You really improved on FMQ! Does Angela Walter's book Free Motion Quilting add something to the FMQ quilt along from Leah Day?
Hi Anael, thank you for your kind words. It is just a different perspective. Leah explains and shows you how to do the designs in a video and Angela explains it in writing with photos and diagrams with little arrows and dots showing you where to start and stop. This works very well for me when I use my small dry erase board or sketch pad and pencil to draw the design before testing it on fabric. Drawing helps form the muscle memory so to when I try it on fabric it comes almost automatically. It is quite magical.

I also have two of Leah's books with photos and they are great to use as catalogs to select a design.

Finally, I have enrolled in both Leah's and Angela's classes on Craftsy.com. It is a great platform for learning.

Take care,
Nicky
Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 AM

Thanks Nicky! I'm taking Leah's class on Craftsy too. I watched her video's but I never understood how to do those designs on a large quilt. After taking Leah's class on Craftsy it is easier to 'see'. I've seen your dry erase board on your blog, I might buy one too. I sometimes draw designs on paper but most of the time I just try to sew them on a piece of fabric.
I'm off to Craftsy now to see what classes Angela is teaching!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
How's about after Christmas, we do some digging to find our fabrics and blocks and kick ourselves in the ( ) and get going again?????
I would be new to this but I would LOVE to join in after the holidays and begin!! I ordered the book two days ago and I am sure I have plenty of fabrics in my stash to work with.

I plan to take the book to Staples and have it spiral bound as some here have done.

Last edited by nygal; 11-28-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf View Post
Yes, Harleys. I have two and my husband has about five, at last count. Here is me on one of mine. This is off topic, but I will delete it after you see it.

I am going thru old posts. My dh rides a Harley Road King the Anniversary Edition. He loves it.