Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 06-09-2012, 03:09 PM

Great going Losie.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

LOL.... I know that I need to do some more of the n/t before I forget how! Yes, get your camera fixed Losie! We wanna see!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
Hi! I am mostly a lurker here.......stumbled across this thread, and I did a happy dance! I have had this book in my collection for YEARS! And now I have the time and desire to tackle this quilt. I have done some needleturn applique in the past, but never on this scale, so wish me luck!

I can't seem to find a good method of transferring the pattern to dark background fabrics. Anyone wish to share their favorite method? I plan on doing mostly needle-turn, and for the pointy pieces will use freezer paper on top of the piece for a guide. I have a lightbox-will that work with black background fabric?

Thank you all for posting your pix-soooo much gogeous inspiration!

Welcome jillmc. I have a light box and it works fine on my black background. I also use the window at time. I find a washable white wax pencil shows up the best and it washes out easily. I can't wait to see your blocks. Are you making them the same size as the book or are you enlarging the blocks?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:43 AM

DeeCee - I hope you'll be able to get back to your AOTH quickly. I had to take 3 months off to make quilts for my grand daughter's wedding and a quilt for my youngest great grand daughter who turned 1 years old. I hope to post pictures of those quilts also when I can post pictures again. Miss seeing your work.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Look forward to seeing pics of your quilts Losie.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

I used a dark background as well and used the window and a chalk pencil. I just went back over the chalk line if it wore off prior to me getting to that piece. It wasn't hard to deal with at all.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 AM

I've been working on so many other projects, my AOTH unfortunately is on hiatus... I did finally catch up on DJ which I should since I started the thread!! have a knee in dire need of surgery and the pain has been putting a damper on evrything

what I did want to mention since I see there are a few newbies and jillmc was asking about transferring pattern. I am doing my AOTH on a dark purple background [as you can see in my avatar - favorite AOTH block of mine] My friend, Marilyn - who co-owns our LQS with her husband and was one of the featured stores in the QUILT SAMPLER shop special issue [her quilt is on the cover!!]... at any rate as I try to complete this very runon sentence... one of Marilyn's valuable hints was to use a plastic project box and place a tap light inside. It makes a wonderful inexpensive lightbox!
Gus
Old 06-13-2012, 03:44 PM

jillmc, I realize that my first answer to you was misleading. My "light box" consists of an empty desk drawer, a shop light from my husband's garage, and the glass top from an old coffee table. I use this if I want to trace something at night. I use my window during the day. I don't have room to store an official light box. I would have to get rid of some of my fabric to make room; heaven forbid!
Old 06-13-2012, 03:48 PM

I finished Block #34 today and I traced block #35 and I have the pieces cut out. I may get to work on it tonight. We are going to watch a Poirot murder mystery from Netflix. I have a DR. appt in Orlando tomorrow so I won't have much time to work on it but I hope to have it finished by this weekend. Then I will have just 1 block to go.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

LOL...my "light box" consists of either a desk lamp sitting on the floor underneath a folding luggage rack which has my big square ruler on top....or my big square ruler balanced between the seats of 2 of my kitchen chairs with the lamp underneath. I know that if I used the project box with the lamp in it, I would steal the project box and fill it with other stuff when I was finished using it. Then it would be another box full of stuff!