Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Another MYSTERY QUILT Train Ride - our 5th trip! >

Another MYSTERY QUILT Train Ride - our 5th trip!

Another MYSTERY QUILT Train Ride - our 5th trip!

Old 01-12-2014, 05:14 PM

End of the month works for me...I should be home by then. Judy, getting to know your machine is better when you're not pressured so it's good you're giving yourself a little time. Oh, but how fun to have a new baby to play with!
I should have brought my mysterytrain #3 with me to work on here... It's the only one I haven't finished yet...it's for granddaughter's graduation in 18 months.

Last edited by VickiM; 01-12-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:32 PM

Thanks for posting Judy can't wait to start. My last two mysteries are pinned waiting to be quilted. They are very patient. lol.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 AM

M-fay, if you like chili, you'll enjoy the taco soup. Hadn't thought of substituting chicken or shrimp as Caroline S. suggested. Think one of those while be in my next go around.

Jenniky, I love blues and those blocks are gorgeous!! I still have to layer, quilt and bind that third mystery. Trying to get up enough nerve to attempt it on my own.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
Ok, to all of you who were expecting a new mystery in Janury, I do apologize for not posting a message. My sewing machine died, poor baby only had 35 million stitches on it since I bought it 4-1/2 years ago, LOL, yes, I sew a lot, and the embroidery wasn't working anymore with my new Windows 8, so I decided to buy a new one. Then began the process of deciding what to do, and am trying to wrap my brain around all the new features. I think I have my project picked out, just need to start making my demo and taking pictures. Please be patient a little longer but hope to have mystery #6 up and running at the end of the month.
Thanks so much Judy. Even though I shouldn't join in #6 I can't help myself. You do such a great job & I love the ones I've actually finished. Oh, just realized I finished one last week so it's no longer a UFO! Yeah! I'll have to post the picture if I can find the thread again.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
Oh, sure Jenniky and mom-6, I'll share the taco soup recipe. Great any time you need a quick meal. I usually put mine in the crockpot the day before to get the flavors to meld, but it's good even without the extra time. Here goes:

TACO SOUP
1/2 c chopped onion
2 cans tomato sauce *
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 can black beans
2 cans petite diced tomatoes (okay to use ones with celery, onion, etc added0
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 lb. browned hamburger
1 can of water

*buy all cans the same size
Mix together in a large pot or a crockpot. Simmer 30 minutes. Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheese, olives, taco chips, onion...whatever you have on hand. ENJOY!

Oh, once in awhile, I throw in a can of corn, too. Just for the added color.

Now my mouth is truly watering... Taco Soup for dinner.. OH YEAH!!!!!
Thank you Coopah

Thank you Judy for the update I am so looking forward to the fun and friendship you always provide us in your train mysteries.

Mfay yes I love the blues. So far though as I have been rearranging the blocks on the design wall it NO longer looks anything like the mystery's outcome. Once I get these blues all connected I am going to pick other fabrics and make the Third Mystery Train the way it is suppose to be.

Last edited by Jenniky; 01-13-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 AM

Jenniky: Love your blue quilt. I think the diagonal squares calm it down a lot, but then I love scrappy.

Judy: So glad to hear from you. This is my first train ride and I can hardly wait. We were a little concerned just because because we hadn't heard from you but now we can all relax. One of us brought a three story, must be its so roomy, motor home so we are all cozy and busy while we wait.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
Ok, to all of you who were expecting a new mystery in Janury, I do apologize for not posting a message. My sewing machine died, poor baby only had 35 million stitches on it since I bought it 4-1/2 years ago, LOL, yes, I sew a lot, and the embroidery wasn't working anymore with my new Windows 8, so I decided to buy a new one. Then began the process of deciding what to do, and am trying to wrap my brain around all the new features. I think I have my project picked out, just need to start making my demo and taking pictures. Please be patient a little longer but hope to have mystery #6 up and running at the end of the month.
thanks for letting us know judy. we can't wait. I know they are lots of hard work for you, but they are so much fun. I was looking thru some advertising magazines from different material shops, and BOM's from them make the cost of the quilts up to $300 just for the top. such a waste, when we ALL have so much 'stash' to work with already.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 AM

Thank you Emma.. alright from half of the 6.5" blocks from the third mystery quilt...With lots of rearranging and turning around this way and that... This is what I made. Now to put together the other colored blocks. Im thinking if it works out I will make both tops into a two sided quilt. Now remember those who might not of seen previous post.. THIS is not what Mystery 3 is suppose to look like... I have rearranged my 6.5 blocks because I did not like the way my color choices went together. I plan to make the third mystery quilt using others better matching and contrasting colors.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]456379[/ATTACH]

So I got this from rearranging these squares.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456381[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]456382[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bluebonnet2.jpg   dsc02616.jpg   dsc02614.jpg  

Last edited by Jenniky; 01-13-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:44 PM

It is nice to see that there are others who have not finished the Mystery Train #3. I also did not finish with mine because the contrasting blocks did not play well with each other. I like your re-work Jenniky. I guess I need to get mine out of the box and re-think it.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:24 PM

Jenniky I love the way you.ve rearranged them too. Here is the "half size one" I gave my daughter. She breeds chocolate Labradors, so I enlarged a photo to A3 size , copied & coloured it onto fabric & appliqued it onto the Quilt. I chose the colours because they're her favourites[ATTACH=CONFIG]456457[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4175.jpg