Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along  week 13 Photo  Page -Blocks 25 & 26 >

The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along week 13 Photo Page -Blocks 25 & 26

The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along week 13 Photo Page -Blocks 25 & 26

Old 01-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Chele is coordinator of the DQ Swap. She randomly picks your partner. Sign up is usually the third week of the previous month and sometime near the eom she lists everyone's partners. There are swappers from all over. Once in while there is an optional theme--this month is show us where you're from. My Iowa quilt is going to Oklahoma this month. And no HQ is not required. It's a great place to practice a new technique if you want. I've been doing it for some time and have enjoyed every quilt I've gotten.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM

Well, my goodness gracious! I go off to quilt at a friend's house and look what happens...a big gab session starts. I'm a little late joining in, but I'm a great gabber. ;-D

And now Miss Jillnjo, you have really come up with a surprise. What wonderful blocks. I love all the colors you've chosen. You've done a terrific job, congratulations.

And oksewglad and jillnjo, doll quilts every month! I am in awe. I love the idea of doll quilts, but omigosh, ONE a month????

Oksewglad, loved your blocks too. So nice and pretty. You do really nice work.

Jillnjo, I echo what QuiltE & Ok said about sashing and cornerstones. I am doing brown sashing. I bought the brown a few months in to the FWS. I may have chosen something different, now that I've seen all the different ones people have done. Have you looked at the borders and sashing thread, plus the finished quilt threads for FWS? You can get good ideas from there.

Alright, since we're all so buddy-buddy, do you think we could reveal our real names? And why we chose our "handle" for the QB?

QuiltE, I feel like I'm going through withdrawals because I'm not actively making blocks. We had such wonderful conversations.

I'll belly up to the bar first. My name is Terri. I'm a quiltaholic. I haven't been "sober" from quiltaholism for eight years, it's a serious case! My "handle" Quilting Nonnie refers to the name my grandchildren call me. I'm Nonnie and BTW, my husband is Bear.

Who's next?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

*hands over ears*
or perhaps to be more seasonal that'd be .... **with ear muffs on**

lalalalalalalalalala .... I can't hear you!!

Quit tempting me J&J and OKSGlad!!
gggrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Someday you'll lure me!

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-04-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

QNonnie ... so good to see you here with us! Maybe we'll lure you back to the fold sooner than you anticipated. You'll have a laugh when you read my post with my first PC block done!

Re names ... I prefer to keep my IRL name off the Boards! No not paranoid, just .... well, ummmmm ...................
Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 PM

Mysteriouser and Myseriouser. Try and figure that word out!!!

Speaking of words...one of my students, an 8-yr-old boy who is blind (and incredibly intelligent and athletic) got on a discussion of the longest word in English. I told him I thought it was antidisestablishmentarianism. When I was a kid, we say, Do you know what antidisestablishmentarianism means? It means people in glass houses should not throw stones.

I looked up the word for my student, found out it meant is a political position that originated in 19th-century Britain in opposition to proposals for the disestablishment of the Church of England, that is, to remove the Anglican Church's status as the state church of England, Ireland, and Wales.

The establishment was maintained in England, but in Ireland the Church of Ireland (Anglican) was destroyed in 1871. In Wales, four Church of England dioceses were disestablished in 1920, subsequently becoming the Church in Wales.

How do you like those beans?

There's quite a dispute about what is the longest word in the English language. One contender has 189,819 letters, but it is not in a major dictionary, is a coined term and disputed whether it really is a word.

The not-so-close contender is a word with 1,909 letters, followed by one with 184 letters and others with 87, 45, 30 & 29 letters. Now we're talking about manageable. A word that doesn't take you an hour to write! These are all disputed for one picky-oony reason or other.

So the antidisestablishment..... is the longest. And BTW, if you wanted to know, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is 34 letters and is a coined term.

It's late...and I just got distracted by words and off I went...

Here's the link if you want to read all about the longest words: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_word_in_English

Oh, and in case you don't want to quilt for awhile, you can also google longest words in Spanish, French, etc. etc.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

You're too funny .... and you beat me to .... Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
And I typed that without looking at yours ... wonder if we spelled it the same?

Mary Poppins is playing in Toronto til Sunday and I oh so wanted to go. It seems that no one else wanted to go with me. Where's there child-side? So I sufficed with the original movie played on TV for the weekend!

So are you an English teacher? Or one who likes to torment kids with English?? I can just imagine mow he curve their lessons will take when you go back. First day back, kids, let's talk about long words .................!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 AM

Very funny QE. And I would have gone to see Mary Poppins with you in a heartbeat! I remember, and this will age me, seeing it when it first (originally) came out at the theater. I was 9.

Thanks for that torture comment! And many of my students think that's what I do, but only because I get weird and silly at times. I teach blind and visually impaired students. I'm itinerant teacher and go to each child's school and pull them out to teach them appropriate skills (like braille, accessing audio books, specialized computer programs and access). I had a braille student a decade or so ago and I always came up with a song for things we were learning. She thought it was funny, but she's the only one who has appreciated my great ability to find songs for different lessons, plus my great vocal talent! Everyone else has cringed and told me to stop! stop! stop! This younger generation! If it doesn't come out of an iPod it's not music! *hee hee*
Old 01-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

You're a Saint!
And wow, I could have used your expertise a few years back. You see, 10-1/2 years ago, I was legally blind for four months. Talk about a frustrating and lonely time! After two operations I am blessed to have good vision now, and cherish every minute of vision I have. There was a time after that I never went near the sewing machine as I convinced myself it was not possible. I still have to manage things, and do what needs to be done. After what I went through, I have no problems in doing that! I am ever so thankful to two wonderful Opthamologists!

Because of this, someday I want to do more for the visually impaired and the CNIB than mere donations. Yes, $$ are needed for the work they do, though I know they need people power too.

As for the aging thing ... not sure when MP came out, but I think that puts us in the same vintage!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:52 AM

Wow! What a story. That must have been heartbreaking and disheartening to have your vision just go like that! I would have been glad to have helped you then. So many things have changed ever since the computer became an accessible medium for everyone.

I am happy that you were able to have such wonderful ophthalmologists to know what to do. Bless their hearts.

When the time comes, if you want to volunteer, there's always a need. Teachers, like myself, always need help. We have a full-time assistant who does all sorts of work, like making tactile diagrams and the such, for us. Having someone volunteer would be a god-send. There are the elderly blind who could always use help. In college, visually impaired students can use help. If you're good at math, high school students usually need a tutor to help them through their math classes.

I don't know if you have foundations for the blind in Canada. We have Lighthouse for the Blind, Braille Institute of America, etc. You could call them and ask what you could do. On a broader basis, if you are good at reading outloud, you could record books for the blind, either locally or at a national depository that distributes audio books for the blind.

Just some ideas.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

I was caught in the middle .... too old for the children/student programs, too young for the aged .... and luckily, had the hope that all would turn out positive. After my surgeries and we knew all was good, I remember saying to the Opth, "oh I wasn't worried, I had confidence in you." (Honestly, I was scared sh.... less!) His comment back was "I didn't have faith your eyes would allow me to give you such good vision". It was then that it struck me .... OMG, all those disclaimers before the surgery were not CYA'ers ... he was totally serious. I praise that man, many times over!

CNIB = Canadian National Institute for the Blind is the common ground for blind issues in Canada. They do have area offices but are not too visible (pun, not intended, it's the truth!) in the community. At one of the public events I worked this winter, a Mother brought her son to our display, telling me of his blindness, and asking he be allowed to touch the objects, differently of course, than we normally allowed. It was a joy to work with him (and his Mom), helping him to touch, experience and explain to him, so he could learn what the other children were to accomplish that day, when visiting our display. All in a different manner.

I had looked into reading books, though the centre I would have to work thru is too far and inconvenient for the pick up and drop offs that would be my responsibility.

I am thankful and know I am blessed ... I only had four months. I just pray that there are no recurrences. In the meantime ... I'm living life to the fullest. Part of that is my re-found sewing passion, via quilting!