Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
THE FW PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Week 6 Broken Heart & Boy's Playmate Photo Page >

THE FW PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Week 6 Broken Heart & Boy's Playmate Photo Page

THE FW PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Week 6 Broken Heart & Boy's Playmate Photo Page

Old 05-09-2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by carriem View Post
I don't know that I will be ready to do another sampler quilt either. I do like the PPing, so maybe will be looking for one of those to do...I did but this pattern to make "someday" called Raindrops http://www.quiltworx.com/?cat=45

I had never pp'd when I bought this, just like the way it looked.

Carrie
Wow...that is beautiful! I've never done a Mariner's Compass but have always admired them.

QuiltE...so keep throwing out ideas. Maybe we should have another thread for that like was suggested.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
QuiltE...so keep throwing out ideas. Maybe we should have another thread for that like was suggested.
I reeeeeeeeeally like the group and love the pacing we have to help us get it done. I know I wouldn't be so far on the PC nor would I likely have ever gotten the FWS done if it were not for all you wonderful cheerleaders. I know I would miss working together in this group, so I'll probably be with you, no matter what!!!

As for ideas ... I really don't have any right now that I think could be feasable when we are doing it virtually.

OK ... here's an idea ... which right now does not seem feasable, but maybe there is a way? Gather round and listen a spell!!!! ...........I love the RR concept, though shipping it around the world to me just doesn't make sense, nor for the slower pace it creates. Mystery Quilts are so much fun. Could we combine the two? ........ each week a different person decides what we should add to the quilt.

Eg. Week one .... directions given to make a 15" Star. Week two, next person gives instructions to make eight 4" stars. Week three, next person tells you to border the week one star with a 4" border with four of the week 2 stars on the corners. Some would use fabric strips for the borders, some might do piano keys, some would do more stars. The remaining 4 stars from week 2 may not get used to Week 9 or whenever. And so on for each week.

Get the idea? Dumb? Do-able? (with lots of tweeks to make it work, for sure)

Old 05-09-2012, 05:24 AM

QuiltE...that would be a hoot to do and bring out everyone's creativity. I too like Mystery Quilts and I did think about a RR but the shipping and time lag put me off. This would be a great modification of the process. There are books that are just all about borders and we could have the order we participate in and be able to think about what we would select for our border week. It might have to be more than a week at a time though since the border gets bigger each time and some might be a little complicated. Maybe the first block could even be a panel that we like and could built around.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 AM

The Mystery RR idea sounds like it could be a lot of fun! Maybe on the week before it is someone's turn they can give fabric requirements for their border, that way if we need to go shopping we'll be able to have the fabric needed before the directions are given? I know some will use their stash, but I don't have a very big one (yet) so might need more fabric.

I will be looking for a "borders" book in the mean time....I do think a new thread would be a good idea too...if someone starts one, please post the link here.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by carriem View Post
I don't know that I will be ready to do another sampler quilt either. I do like the PPing, so maybe will be looking for one of those to do...I did but this pattern to make "someday" called Raindrops http://www.quiltworx.com/?cat=45

I had never pp'd when I bought this, just like the way it looked.

Carrie
I agree carriem, a quilt with some paper piecing in it would be nice. When I saw the boat blocks everyone did I thought they would look cute in a quilt. Doesn't have to be a boat though. Your Raindrops pattern looks difficult but is beautiful.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

It'd be hard to give requirements in advance ........ Eg. Week 2 person gives instructions. Meanwhile #3 person might have some ideas brewing, but could not finalize them, til they knew what #2 assigned. #3's idea might work, yet their idea might be thrown in the trash and they might come up with a totally different one. Clear as Mud?

I remember one that was posted on here .... it'd been a Guild project. EAch person started with a middle, then each month were given the assigned work: add 4" all around; add 6" to the top/bottom; use 3 fabrics and ... ; etc.. Often times they were given a technique that had to be done: include PPing (some might do the whole border, some might choose one focal item); include a flange; add some applique work; etc.

I wish I knew where it was to look at it again ... I remember it being a winter scene with snowmen, primarily blue. I seem to recall the applique were some mittems with a dummy string joining them.

GGal ... you think some weeks it'd be more difficult? Could it be anymore challenging than some of these blocks we've been doing!!!

CarrieM ... ITA with GGal, there's some good border books. I saw one last summer during a Shop Hop then didn't purchase it and yes, have kicked myself since!

I haven't used any of these ... yet! There's some really nice unique quilt border ideas here .........
http://www.quilterscache.com/B/Borders.html
Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

It's been mentioned about a new thread being started ... I think that should be left to Honchey's decision ... and for now, I think she has enough going in her life, so maybe we'd be best to keep the chatter on the PC threads.

~~~~~
waves to
Termi ... you snuck thru while I was posting!
~~~~~
Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 AM

QuiltE...you are right about ideas changing from week to the next.

I found a book at the library that I put on hold. It's called "60 Pieced Quilt Borders" http://www.amazon.com/60-Pieced-Quil.../dp/1604600128

I was surprised to find lots of other ones on amazon too. I will keep an eye out at Market next week for new stuff too!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 AM

I agree, PC should not gallop ahead with plans of a new thread when this one has a way to go..before we can rest our 'needles'. Life has its own way of saying 'slow down', particularly when one reaches 70 years...the mind is still going strong, but the body is not as strong. Or to say it another way in PC language, the old grey mare ain't what she used too be. Blind in one eye, I like to see the 'whole' picture before I plan anything, but I can cheer the younger set onward to their goals.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Well Said QNSue ... we aren't even 1/2 way thru PC yet!

Maybe what I will do is issue a challenge .... to see how many PUPs we can all complete between now and the end of the PC project? How would that be?? .... and then whatever we get ourselves into then, we can go with a cleaner conscience for those hidden PUPpies .... and a reduced stash.

Anyone interested? ..... give me some feedback on this, and if you're interested, I'll formally issue it as a challenge in next week's Discussion Thread

hhmmmmmm twist my arm .......... I'll even toss in a prize!!

.................and for those that are saying what the heck is she talking about re PUPs and PUPpies??? .... it was on another thread today. PUPs = Poor Unfinished Projects. I think it's my new favourite acronym!!!