Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along  Wk 12  Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Discussion Page >

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Discussion Page

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Discussion Page

Old 03-29-2012, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by carriem View Post
WOW! That is amazing quilting!!! Is that all free motion?? And is that really a paper clip at the top? What is the measurement of the rectangle??

edited...

Ok now I see legs on the bottom of the picture...must just be a "quilt clip"
yes it is FMQ. The piece is about 26x20. The paper clip is holding the papers that showed us how she created the design layer by layer. She doesn't hold anything back!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 AM

I would NEVER have the patience to do something like that, even if I had the skill (which I don't)! You go girl! I have enough trouble just following a design in FMQ.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Power Poster

OMG .... what detail in the quilting.
And even a bigger OMG when I read the 20x26 size!
Incredible!!
That's exciting that you have someone of that talent in your midst, and so willing to share the tips and techniques that has created her success!!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 PM

Again, how do you type the sound of my breath being drawn in??? That was exactly my first reaction! Wow, ya did good girl! I could never be that good. I'm proud of you for taking those classes & learning so much!! Be sure & show us more pictures of what you learn this summer. Ok?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
Again, how do you type the sound of my breath being drawn in??? That was exactly my first reaction! Wow, ya did good girl! I could never be that good. I'm proud of you for taking those classes & learning so much!! Be sure & show us more pictures of what you learn this summer. Ok?
So you all understand...that was Mary's quilting, not mine. I doubt I will have the fortitude to practice as much as she does to get those results but I do want to get comfortable with the technique. Incidentally, she says the smaller the arch or s curve, the easier it is to do. Just a tip for any of you that do FMQ.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
So you all understand...that was Mary's quilting, not mine. I doubt I will have the fortitude to practice as much as she does to get those results but I do want to get comfortable with the technique. Incidentally, she says the smaller the arch or s curve, the easier it is to do. Just a tip for any of you that do FMQ.
Tip #1 .... keep 'em comin'!
THANKS!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:00 PM

GG - do keep giving us all of those tips, 'cause we want ta know! Also show us what you have accomplished so we can oooo & ahhh over your accomplishments. They may not be as good as Mary's but I bet they're great!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:44 AM

OK..I remembered another one. Say you're making a flower or a feather...she says that you should only consider one element or loop at a time, pause slightly at the end of it so there are 2 stitches and a sharp corner them begin the next element. That pause is almost instinctive so you probably do that without thinking about it. The pause also gives you the ability to see where you want to go with the next element. You can almost translate it the same way we put together a block. If we concentrate on the finished block when we're doing the first HS triangle, chances are that HS triangle will be wonky but it won't always be apparent until we sew everything together. It's then that we see how little bit off each section is and how it affects the final block. I'm not there, either for the FMQ or the piecing, but I know where the problem lies...I get in too big a hurry!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:13 AM

Tip # 2 is one step at a time? That's great! Keep 'em coming!