Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 5 Blocks "Best of All & Best Friend" DISCUSSION Page >

FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 5 Blocks "Best of All & Best Friend" DISCUSSION Page

FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 5 Blocks "Best of All & Best Friend" DISCUSSION Page

Old 02-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
HeeHaw, cowgirls & cowboys...PM me QuiltE with your email and I will send you the mouth-watering minestrone recipe that will freeze or store in the refrigerator for a week. You can publish it here if you want too. My dh demands my chili soup on winter days. But with the temps running in the 50s and up to 70s,

Good Morning Ladies and Gent .... I'm sauntering back on in y'here!
It's been a busy and hectic week ... lots happening here ... and now I'm unwinding for the weekend and trying to get back in the proverbial quilting and cowboy loop!

QNSue ... I'd love the recipe and can PM you, but why don't you post it on here?
I'm sure that there's lots of others who would appreciate it!
sure make us envious of that HOT weather! Heck, I could eat soup even with the temp in the 90s!
mmmmmmmmmm soup ...

OKSGlad ... Diagonals are very cowboy'ish! And Taco Salad ... do tell me more?
Good for you on the scrappy look!!! .... remember I used 144 fabrics in the FWS!

DublB ... so sorry you had to survive Alzheimers. My Mom had that, so I know what you went thru. You're a Saint, for providing the care she needed til you could find a good place. And DH must be a Saint too ... cooking!

JanRN ... I'm glad you are lovin' the learnin'! And you've been finding some great recipes along the way too! mmmmm Potato Soup (yes, I know you didn't like it, but your DH does ... and a frieend and I did too!) The CrockPot has been a friend of mine ever since I was married. And would you believe it, I now own 4, yes 4 .... a tiny/small, medium and large ... and just recently at the thrift store, bought the 4th, a rectangular one with a teflon lined metal pan and a heating element I can keep my tea warm, when not using as a crock! Silly me ... but all 4 have their purposes!

MiraBelle ... glad you got home safely! Good plan ... stay the storm by hiding out in your sewing room and finding some sunlight in them there PC blocks! Stay safe!!!

Anael ... Keep Warm! Your temps aren't much lower than what we have right now. It's been milder here than normal ... and cooler than norm for you! As the weather man pointed out the other day ... we usually see more snow and winter these last six weeks of winter than the first .... so who knows what will blow in for me!

Me? ... my blocks for this week WILL get done before nightfall tomorrow night. And then onwards to catch up on the others .... along with a lineup of other sewing projects!

And now I'll just trot on out and check on all the other threads/posts that I've missed this week ......... then off to the sewing room!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:25 AM

Ok Ya'll I wanted to brag on DH again th'smorning. I wake up at 8:00 am & the bacon is cooked & DH is getting ready ta leave ta go buy groceries! Another thing leftover from when he did everything. He says that it will keep me from stressing out so much! He does this every other Sat. I think that he is the best!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:57 PM

Bev, does he have a twin brother?? If so, can I have him?? Just kidding!!! My DH has never cooked (other than his toast in the am) but our dog has been sick so Patches has been getting 1/4 can of soft dog food on his regular chunks. Have to keep the opened can in fridge; DH has been heating Patches's food in microwave for him twice a day. In 42 years he's never even made me a cup of tea!!!! What's wrong with this picture? Gotta love 'em!!
Old 02-04-2012, 05:17 PM

Here is my friend's recipe that I have tested and loved it. She is retired, but works in a private elementary school in Corpus Christi, Tx., widowed several years and cancer survivor of 18 years. She received a quilt from me and loved it. We have traded several recipes in the last seven years and she has made a stop-over here as she travelled through. Distance has not really affected our friendship.

Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 6:51 AM
Subject: Oven-Baked Minestrone Soup

1 1/2 pounds stew beef, cut into small pieces
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced ( found that there is a jar of chopped up garlic in olive oil, that keeps best in my frig.)
2 Tablesp. olive oil
1 teasp. salt
1 teasp. ground black pepper
3 cans (14.5 ounces each)beef broth (I use Swanson's)
2 3/4 cups water
1can (16 ounce) kidney beans
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced stewed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
1 can (6 ounces) whole pitted ripe olives (undrained)
2 cups sliced zucchini
1 cup uncooked small elbow macaroni
1/2 teasp. dried basil leaves
1/4 teasp. dried thyme leaves
1/4 teasp. dried oregano leaves
1/4 teasp. dried rosemary leaves
1/4 teasp. ground savory
Freshly shredded Parmesan cheese to serve

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large oveproof Dutch oven, combine beef, onion, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper. Stirring occasionally, bake uncovered 45 minutes. (I stir it with a wooden spoon, about every 15 minutes.) Leave soup in oven. Combine beef broth and water in a 2-quart microwave-safe container. Microwave on high power (100%) 10 minutes or until broth mixture begins to boil; add to beef mixture. (I just add the beef broth and water, room temperature, without micro-waving it--I figure that it will get hot enough in the oven quick enough). Stir in undrained beans, undrained tomatoes, carrots, and undrained olives. Cover and bake about 2 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in zucchini, macaroni, and herbs; cover and bake 30 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. To serve, sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Yield: about 15 cups soup
I made this last weekend, and it lasted me all week. I just fixed some garlic bread, and that was my meal. It has meat, vegetetables, and pasta in it. I use a large oval enamel roasting pan with a lid for this. I did notice that for my pan, I can't add extra vegetables, as carrots, or zucchini, or the soup will cook over the side of the pan. If you have a larger pan, though, you probably could add extra veg. or maybe corn, or whatever else you want. Maybe you could make the recipe as is, the first time, then, at another time, make it adding other veggies, if you want.
I also found that the second day, the flavor of the spices goes through the soup, and it tastes to me better, that second day. It is so good to dome home from school, and heat a bowl of this in the micro-wave for dinner.
I would bet that it makes more than 15 cups of soup. Oh, I usually use one whole onion, even if it is more than a cup--why scrimp on the onion. I peel the zucchini, even though the picture shows it unpealed. I peal the carrots too.Added note--I use the black olives.
[HR][/HR]
Old 02-04-2012, 05:19 PM

I have cooked this recipe in a slow cooker, and in the oven, so you can cook it either way. It makes enough to last a single person a whole week. It will freeze also or make ahead of planned usage.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
I have cooked this recipe in a slow cooker, and in the oven, so you can cook it either way. It makes enough to last a single person a whole week. It will freeze also or make ahead of planned usage.
I printed this up & showed it ta DH he said that we'll try it sometime. If he doesn't I'll do it soon.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
Bev, does he have a twin brother?? If so, can I have him?? Just kidding!!! My DH has never cooked (other than his toast in the am) but our dog has been sick so Patches has been getting 1/4 can of soft dog food on his regular chunks. Have to keep the opened can in fridge; DH has been heating Patches's food in microwave for him twice a day. In 42 years he's never even made me a cup of tea!!!! What's wrong with this picture? Gotta love 'em!!
No, he's an only child. So sorry. He does like it, or he wouldn't do it. He has never liked to be waited on! I used to think I was showing him love when I would do things for him. He would tell me that he was a "big boy & could do it all by myself." After a while we figured out that I was the one who wanted things done for me. He wants me to listen to him, to be close by when he does things, to go dove hunting with him. We garden together. I guess what I'm saying is that we found out what worked for us. I think that everybody has ta find out what works for them.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Power Poster

QNSue ... Looks delicious and I'll be trying it soon. I was even happier when I saw that you have made it in the crockpot!

DublB ... Yes Indeed ... you are spoiled!!!

JanRN ... I was waiting for you to say that your DH ate Patches canned dog food!!! OOPS!!!!
Hope Patches continues to improve. Maybe time to make him some more Chicken Soup!

Moi? ... I so envy those of you who have a DH that cooks for you. There are so many times I just wish I had someone who could whip something up for supper! (or lunch ... or breakfast!) This cooking for one sucks! ... so when I do have someone here, I tend to make extra, and that feeds me for a couple of meals. Or a night like tonight I cooked a turkey breast and lots of veggies ... food for a few days, and broth for a small batch of soup!

Update ... I got Best of All done tonight. The PP sections for Best Friend are all done ... and will join them up tomorrow!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:08 PM

Oh yeah! I'm spoiled!