Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club Quit-Alone Wk 33 North Star & New York Discussion Page >

The FWS Pony Club Quit-Alone Wk 33 North Star & New York Discussion Page

The FWS Pony Club Quit-Alone Wk 33 North Star & New York Discussion Page

Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
When I did the first sides I made the borders a bit larger and measured them to fit like I would s strip of fabric that wasn't quilted. The last borders were more tricky. The cornerstone was quilted so I could trim it down and I joined it to a strip of quilted border that again was longer than needed. After I got these two joined, I carefully measured the center of the quilt from joining strip to joining strip, added 1/4 inch seam allowance, took a deep breath and cut the border strip. I then joined the last cornerstone to the border, sewed the joining strips to the quilt body and fitted the two pieces together. All the while I was making sure that one edge of the border was even for sewing to the quilt body. My first cornerstone I made was a star but the points would have been cut off so I changed to simple squares and if I look close, the outer squares are a bit smaller because they were trimmed to square up the quilt.

Short story, I made all of the border strips longer and measured them after quilting like I would if I were assembling in a traditional way.
Great info! Thanks for lettin' us know!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 AM

Hello Everybody! It's been a long time. Can't say I'm back on the trail though, I'll never catch up. Haven't had time to devote to the sewing room but I have missed it and missed being part of this trail ride. I have been peeking in on all your blocks and as usual they're all so beautiful!! Can't wait to get back to it. My little horse has been diagnosed with a condition similar to diabetes and the vets aren't up on what's the best treatment so of course I've been studying everything I can find on the internet. It's mind boggling! Getting into the sewing room is always in the back of my mind but I have to prioritize. HOpefully I'll get in there soon. Keep up the good work ladies, I know you will.
Gardnergal that's a gorgeous quilt, just love the colors!!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Termi View Post
Hello Everybody! It's been a long time. Can't say I'm back on the trail though, I'll never catch up. Haven't had time to devote to the sewing room but I have missed it and missed being part of this trail ride. I have been peeking in on all your blocks and as usual they're all so beautiful!! Can't wait to get back to it. My little horse has been diagnosed with a condition similar to diabetes and the vets aren't up on what's the best treatment so of course I've been studying everything I can find on the internet. It's mind boggling! Getting into the sewing room is always in the back of my mind but I have to prioritize. HOpefully I'll get in there soon. Keep up the good work ladies, I know you will.
Gardnergal that's a gorgeous quilt, just love the colors!!
We have missed ya! I'm not gonna git caught up for a long while. Don't worry about bein' behind, 'cause I'm right there w/ya!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:34 PM

Ggal, thanks. I basically did mine the same way except I didn't use cornerstones. Next time I will; I think they give you a little more "fudging" room.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Termi--thanks for stopping by--yes we have missed you and your brown/aqua + blocks!
I have lots of blocks to catch up on, but once in a while try to get a current one finished. There are several of us who have not been riding all the time and will not be done when the trail is over. So stay connected and finish the rid with us, okay?