Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 04-03-2016, 07:22 PM

Happy B-day Jeanie! I spent your b-day packing the trailer & the back of the truck! Gosh I am tired tonight! We leave for Brady tomarrow. Am I ever gonna get moved?
Old 04-04-2016, 07:33 AM

Bev, I hope so! :-)
My son and daughter-in-law have been shopping for their first house. They have only lived in one rented house, but have been there about 7 years. I thought they didn't have much to move, but the last time I was there visiting I noticed all the end tables in their house were gone. "What happened to your tables?" I asked. My son said they were getting rid of everything they didn't absolutely want so they would have less to move when the time came.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:24 AM

Good luck, Bev. I don't plan to ever move, I'll let my son deal with all this stuff after I pass on to that quilting studio in the sky LOL.

Well, I think I figured out why people have a lot of UFOs. Personally, my least favorite part is the actual quilting because I suck at it. But what really got to me was sashings. Ugh! I just finished sashing and putting together a quilt top with 72 4" blocks with 1" sashing. It took forever--well, 4 days but that's forever when you're ADHD like me. Since the blocks are very busy I didn't use cornerstones--that would have added even more days. I kept taking breaks and walking downstairs, straight to the fridge and "rewarded" myself with a piece of cheese. I think I've eaten over a pound of cheese in the last 4 days LOL!!! Now I'm dreading sashing the FWS 1930s blocks. Is there an easy or fast way to do them? They will need cornerstones. Guess I better stock up on cheese unless someone has a suggestion to make doing them less tedious & boring.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:11 AM

Jan, Aren't these blocks set on point?? That's easy peasy!!! I make the side triangles a little bigger so there's no chance of losing the points..if you have the background fabric you could start setting the triangles on the blocks as you make them..
Old 04-04-2016, 11:01 AM

Nor going to sent my blocks on point...I will sew the sashings on one side of the blocks and chain sew them on per row., then set the rows together with a long strip...no cornerstones. The blocks are all 'too busy'. Mollie is gving me so much trouble...I increased the size of the little triangle and I think it is going to help... may not post for several days...its really giving me hard time.

Our next move will be when we cannot move around here and keep up with everything or when we go out the door feet first. Then its someone else's problem.

Happy belated birthday, Jeanie. Good luck with your move Dublb.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:23 PM

I'm not setting FWS 30s on point; I want it to look like my other FWS quilts. I'll use cornerstones on them with black sashing. Just whining I guess because when I get all the blocks for a quilt done I'm ready to start a new project LOL.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:19 PM

Sounds like a plan, JanRN. I think I will use a light green and a darker green. One on the bottom/top and one on the sides but still thinking about that. No sweet sixteen long arm here, so no decisions on the quilting of it.

I left a clue or hint on the next FW set I did (Just my 2 cents worth), on how to do the 24 one inch squares without driving myself crazy. You'all may have discovered a better way.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:28 PM

Hey Ya'll, we are in Brady tonight. I love to work outside while it is cool. I thought that it would still be a nice temp but when we got here it was 87*! In the house that would have been good enough (as we opened the windows & the breeze off of the lake was nice) but I got started watering all my plants as soon as we got here. Everything was real dry! It was supposed to rain once between this trip & the last, but it didn't. DH unloaded the truck while I wandered around watering everything. By the time I was through, I was HOT! We made a run to the store room & then picked up some salad from the store. Once we were home I took a cold shower! Ahhh I feel so much better. DH cooked a steak & a butternut squash on the grill! Yummy! After supper I unpacked DMIL's china & put it in her buffet. Well that is 2 more boxes empty!
Old 04-04-2016, 07:40 PM

I'm trying not to leave the background all to the end. I've put together some of the blocks, but unfortunately, I'm thinking I need to seam rip and do over one side of 3 rows, as I can't buy the same color fabric anymore. I think I might lose interest at the end of the block making... and make the UFO instead of the quilt... so that's why I'm starting to sew the background now-- while you girls are still here and I can get encouragement to continue each week with the project. You girls are a big help. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:34 AM

Bev, it snowed again here last night!

I think it's a good idea to start sewing on the sashing strips before assembling the entire quilt; but I move things around so much. Maybe I'll just do one side of each block. I say this as I'm already cutting out fabric for a table runner and copying pp patterns for my next 2 projects so you know I probably won't work on the sashings LOL.