Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 04-07-2016, 08:15 PM

Yeah! JuneBillie has joined the FW 30's! How cool is that?
Sewbizgirl & JuneBillie, I will say that even though I haven't finished my PC I will say that I have learned soooo much from jumping head first in the deep end of the pool. LOL Well that was what I thought when I first started. I was only gonna template piece all of the blocks but soon I was paper piecing w/the best of 'em. (I had never template pieced before either. )This group has taken me from a confident beginner to am intermediate quilter.
Hmmmm I am getting the bug to do some PC blocks. I do have some of my PC stuff here in Brady. We will see what tomarrow might bring!
Old 04-07-2016, 09:58 PM

sewbizgirl, The cheapest place I found the book was on Amazon. I got a new one, and was surprised I'd bought it from the author and she had signed it! But, then, you have to pay shipping, so maybe looking at quilt week may be the way to go for you. :-)

There was a learning curve for the author in making the CDs, because the FWS 30's CD was a great deal better than the PC CD. I really like having the ability to print out the templates from the CD. (Most of the time I use the templates.) It's so handy! When I look at Jinny Beyer's Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns book, and want to make one of the patterns from it, even with her notes, explanations, clear plastic aids, etc., it seems so arduous of a task.

I think that any quilter who likes making small blocks would enjoy Laurie's books and CDs. Out of a couple of hundred blocks, there ought to be something a person would like to sew. :-)

Last edited by givio; 04-07-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by givio View Post
I think that any quilter who likes making small blocks would enjoy Laurie's books and CDs. Out of a couple of hundred blocks, there ought to be something a person would like to sew. :-)
Thanks givio, that's true... I looked at the books on Amazon but decided I'd rather see them in person before deciding which to get first. Can't wait to see them.

I have Barbara Brackman's Civil War Sampler book, and tho I drool over the pages, I just haven't had time to get into it. Too much other stuff ahead of it! Those are fairly simple-- mostly it's the fabrics that make them gorgeous. I was thinking perhaps the fourth FW book might be Civil War blocks?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:38 AM

Sewbiz, You have done the pping bitty blocks? am I right? just think of these bitty blocks with added sections!

HI Guys, I worked the last 2 days and my knee acted up 1/2 way into the day yesterday..I am finding that when I sit too long with my knee bent when I get up I can't put my weight on my leg..It hurts like hell..so I hobbled around..It doesn't bother me when I drive tho...??? I'm working the next 3 days..I just hope it won't act up again..

I've been cutting Teddy's for our sewing group that donates them to a hospital in NC for the kiddies...I'm just cutting not stuffing..will probably sned them to the girls that stuff 'em..The two ladies that do that are in their 90"s and so cute and so active..just love 'em...
I'm definitely doing a 30's block today, one more cup of coffee then to the sewing machine...later H.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

No... haven't done any bitty blocks. I am not great at paper piecing. I guess I just haven't done enough of it yet. I'm really slow because I don't do it often enough to really remember how it works, so I'm stopping and double checking, etc. It's not my favorite method.

I do have a paper pieced quilt in the works, but it's very simple. Just four diagonal strips per block and it comes out looking a lot like a tube quilt. It's good for learning on!
Old 04-08-2016, 01:15 PM

Sorry, I think it's kaybob that has done the bitty blocks....PPing isn't really hard,,it's like anything else..There's a formula for everything and once you come to understand the technique , it's rather easy...

I have the rotary cutting #'s for the first book as they weren't included..so if you would like me to, I could email them to you if you get the first book..H.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:27 PM

I hate to whine but we're under a Winter Storm Watch until 5pm tomorrow!! 4" of bleeping snow predicted with high winds. I'm about ready to go hunt down that damn groundhog!!! Oh well, it will be a good week-end to watch baseball and attach the binding to the mini Pineapple quilt I did.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

We have had a lot of wind for here, and some rain. I am glad for the little bit of rain due to fire season right now. A bit chilly today so I am going to do some more sewing.

Honchey, I hope your knee quits acting up.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:35 PM

Jan, How about you just coming down here. Today it is "only" 72*. So much better'n your snow! San Angelo is the closest air port. Just tell me when to pick ya up. Actually it is a open invitation to all of my PC DF's!
Old 04-08-2016, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
I have the rotary cutting #'s for the first book as they weren't included..so if you would like me to, I could email them to you if you get the first book..H.
Thanks for that offer... I'll remember that Honchey!

It was a bit chilly here today too, but beautiful. Very low humidity which is so rare in this part of the country! I hope the weather holds through tomorrow. I have an outdoor craft show to do. Another pretty day would be a blessing.