Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 02-25-2013, 01:33 PM

I'm calling it a day. Tomorrow hospital visit again. Bram doesn't get his food because he was throwing up a lot today, otherwise he settled down and is resting. Isa is ok, she has been sleeping a lot today.

I'm almost finished with my Sylvia blocks. I made 1 tonight, 3 to go and I'm redoing one because I don't like the colours I used. So I hope by the end of this week I'm done with the 140 blocks!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:10 PM

Oh so sorry to hear of Bram's tummy upset. Hope he returns to normal tomorrow.

You have been so busy with those Sylvia blocks, as with all quilts, it is such a great feeling to finally have all the blocks done. Congratulations!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:30 PM

Anyone wanting to do the Farmers Scraps with me and help me through the pattern? I emailed the www.quiltwoman.com and they referred me back to the lady who designed the pattern who said essentially: "read the directions!" It is published by www.quiltingstardesgins. com. by Cynthia Stary Drajna who has her own blog, and has judged the Iowa State Fair Quilts... She starts on the outside row...on Step 1 and on step 6 she does the center of the quilt...the Iowa Star. Backwards to the way I think, and if I get a size wrong, it will not go together right!! She also uses the 'scant 1/4' inch' seam which can rip out when being machine quilted. Her blocks are 2 3/4 inches and triangles are cut by sewing two blocks together at the center mark, then trimming off the excess on the under side. Why cannot she make the triangle large enough to sew on each side of the center mark and come up with two triangles for the quilt??? Her Iowa Star pp does not yield a nine inch finished block unless you add on the seam allowance! Scant does not do it. Constant waste of material.....Grrrrrrrr. I need someone with more knowledge than I to straighten out the math this out, or toss it out. How can someone who has the knowledge not admit her math is not right? Or is it just me and the way I am reading the pattern, and wanting to do it a better more efficient way?? Thanks all for letting me sound off and complain.

Nor did she know anything about FWSQ or FWPC. Nope, I am not impressed with her. Youall have impressed me with your knowledge and skills.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:39 PM

Huggs Sue! That can be so very frustratin'.
I can't git your second link ta come up. I'm no help a'tall.

Last edited by dublb; 02-25-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

I'd love to make it with you QNS, but just can't start another project. Sorry for the frustrations.
Oma how exciting for you!!
Lovely BB's gals!
Anyone heard from JanRN, maybe she's getting ready for that house closing!
Just got an email from DD. They need an overnight sitter while she and DSIL are at their annual meeting. End of March is a major quilt retreat for me! The WI Grands are 8 and 10 so just get them off in the morning and fix supper at night and tuck them into bed. Easy peasy.
Before I went to my aunt's sale I quick sewed this little thing for my cousin.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t214782.html
Old 02-25-2013, 03:18 PM

Because I mistyped it, Dublb. www.iowastardesigns.com I have a big headache today with the storm Rocky coming in tonight. Rocky is in the Texas Panhandle with winds whipping up to 70 miles per hour, putting a lot of people out of any power. Its edge is now hitting Kansas City, the East and South edges are going to be hit the worst, which means we may luck out with just one to three inches of snow...weathermen are not sure of the path Rocky is taking...so we hope for the best. I am not sewing today.

Cynthia Stary Drajna is amazed that I am having a problem with her pattern. She wrote the pattern so you work from the outside inward, so you do one step at a time. again, she says "Follow the directions!" I plead left brain, cannot picture how this can work out.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

So here I was going all chronological and reading the posts since I was last here ......... and then .......... I see that over 24 hrs ago MiraB made her BIG announcement!!!! Yippppppeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! (and to think I do not have a picture taken of mine to show yet ... will read and post first, then off to the photo op, as they are all on my design wall and a-waiting!!!)

MiraB ... you should have offered a better bribe!! Now, wasn't the wait, well worth it? And such a pretty assortment you have. Now do tell, how did you manage to get the mirror image of the blocks?

Honchey ... and Belated 45th Anniversary greetings to you and your DH!! Priceless picture of all your BBs before they were dispatched to our trusting care!!

OKSGlad ... what a great showcase of your outgoing BBs. So nice to see your whole group together!

DublB and JeanieG ... I zoomed in and can see it is signed. I knew I had missed it on mine at first, as it did not show well on the dark blue.

I'm really looking forward to seeing all the unique settings and finished for each of your BB collections!
Stay tuned ... I'll post a photo of my collection tonight, and more explanations regarding the BBs I sent to each of you!!!

QNSue and OKSGlad and All Others with weather induced "hurts" or any other types of hurting ... hope you are feeling a little more comfortable. Remember, drugs can be good in times such as this! My head and eyes have been bothering me too, some re weather, and some because of my back. Wish it would all settle down for me.

Anael ... What a precious picture of Isa all dressed up. Such a fashionista! Both are growing so well. So cute that Bram and Isa sent greetings to Mick! Shows how much good care the SewGrands are getting that they extend their care to Mick too. And wheeeeeeeeee you got to touch Isa ... Bram's restlessness was probably just a fit of jealousy, that he wanted the same attention from his Oma! And with Sylvia almost complete ... Wonder Woman you are!

DublB ... what a pretty 10 minute fuax cathedral window block. Think of how pretty a whole quilt would be ... perhaps a baby quilt?

QNSue ... I'll skip the bread and go straight for the apricot pie ... coming with me DDamsel for a midnight raid? Would love to join you with the Farmers Scraps quilt as it is lovely, though I have vowed, I just cannot go into something else ... too many PhDs that I really do want to finish, including a BB quilt now. Of course, if it should become THE group project, different story and I'll be there with y'all!

OKSGlad
... how kind of you to do the NICU covers! You and JanieW are two of a kind when it comes to hospital preemie donations. hurrah for the Major Quilt Retreat disguised as Grand Sitting! Your DD is SEW thoughtful!!!

CarrieM ... Belated Birthday greetings to your DD ... now that's some serious cake! I bet the kids plan all year as to what their dream cake of the year is going to be. Looks like the frosting coodinates with your Rosie quilt!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM

I found it!!!! Ya did sign it Jeanie. Sorry.
We are gittin' the very tailend o' that storm. Winds up ta 45 MPH. Very cold winds. But did we git any moisture? No. If we have ta have the wind, can't we git some precipitation?
Here is the celtic knot that I'm gonna hand quilt w/white thread.
PS I just heard that the winds reached 60 mph gusts!
Attached Thumbnails pc-swap-block-celtic-knot.jpg  

Last edited by dublb; 02-25-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:49 PM

Bev, oooh pretty picture! I was planning on reworking the pattern for my block and doing a pieced border, celtic knots style

QNinaSue, that is so incredibly frustrating!!! I have trouble with motor control of my hands, there is NO WAY I would feel comfortable following directions that require cutting AFTER sewing, I know I would just make a mess out of it!
I do end up drawing out patterns on paper and then making templates. I know its "old fashioned" but it works for me
Old 02-25-2013, 05:08 PM

Here is top that I did a few years ago. It is still waitin' for the borders & ta be quilted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]398007[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails missys-quilt-front.jpg