Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 PM

Jan, Your quilt is so cute...It is soooo 70's!!! I love it...
Old 12-13-2012, 08:12 PM

Anael Huggs again. My heart goes out ta ya & your DDIL & DSon. Nothin' is harder on a parent than ta loose a child. Huggs again. I had a miscarriage in 1991. So very hard. Huggs again.

Hooray DD is back!!!!

Jan it is awesome. Keep it out & cuddle under it. It doesn't matter how big your stitches are, nor what fabric you used. It is very nice. I looked at the pillows that I first hand quilted for my DM & wow, were those stitches big. She loves 'em anyway.

Last edited by dublb; 12-13-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 PM

Hi DD, so glad to hear from you! You have been missed!!!

Jan, I think that quilt is so bright and colorful. Who cares about the size of the stitches, it hold the quilt together, that is all that matters!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 PM

DD, glad you're back and thank you! Hugs for you too.

Jan, great quilt! Like Honchey said, it's so 70s, brings back memories!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 PM

OK I have been gone for 2 days and there has been so much chatter that after reading all of it I can't remember what has been said
Let's see
Glad to have you back DDamsel, don't stay away so long again

Anael there are no words that can be said for what you and your family are going through but know that I am thinking of you

Grey hair who said grey hair, I started going grey in 1978 at the tender age of 23 (now see who does the maths first) and the funniest part is that was the year I was married. I used to dye my hair but got so tired of the regrowth that I just let it go grey. DH has been know to call me the "old grey mare" but he can't talk.

QNS will definitely try out my new cookie recipes they sound delicious.

Carriem I love your block

If I have missed anybody please forgive, I still haven't unpacked the car so best do that now
Old 12-14-2012, 03:50 AM

Carriem, I love your block and it will remind us of you and this ride. What kind of pen are you using to sign your blocks? I bought 5 different ones and tried them on scraps and don't have one I'm happy with. Open to suggestions.
Off to work-damn, work gets in the way of things I want to do!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 AM

Hi Jan, I generally use the pigma pen that is sold in Joanns and all the quilt shops...Sharpie has an extra fine pointed pen...I haven't tried it on fabric yet.. I did a swap when I first joined here and used the pigma pen..I find that when writing on fabric the pen should be at an angle..if you use the pen head on the point kinda gets into the fabric and it will bleed...the angle lets the ink flow onto the fabric. keeping the fabric taut also helps...
Old 12-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Good Morning All!

QNSue ... thanks for the cookie recipes and the variations! I'm much the same as you .... follow a recipe? it's only a guide to me! Then when someone asks for the recipe, I sometimes don't know what to tell them!!! I have the Pampered Chef scoops for easy cookie making and consistent sizing. Works great ... and doubles as ice cream scoops too. A few years ago, I got sold on the merits of using parchment paper too. So sorry for DH raining on your BB ... maybe you should challenge him to make a set for us all too!!! For those "pitch" blocks ... don't! I keep them and re-vamp them into Mug Rugs ... then when I need to practice FMQ, they're ready and waiting.

CarrieM ... thanks for the links. I'll have to look for both here. Haven't heard of them, but of course, could be and just didn't know what I was looking for!! Great BB ... it's nice to know the story behind it. I hope everyone will share their BB stories too.

OKSGlad ... and now let Christmas @ the OK Ranch begin!!! My Dad was born on the 13th, and we never had any Christmas decorations or events til after.

MiraB ... math? who's doing math? I've never coloured my hair, despite many the hairdressers nudges. I've always been worried it'd go green or purple or orange or dear knows what! Besides then I don't have to deal with the root issue. And probably #1, I'm just too darned cheap!

JanRN ... have FUN at work!! Just think of it as paying for the things you want to do. How was the shopping escapade yesterday with MrJanRN? Your GFG is incredible. Look at all that double quilting around the blocks. Outstanding!!! Hours of stitching to make the GFGs and then to put together and then to quilt. My goodness!!! How did you finish off the outside edges?

Honchey ... thanks for the extra hints for the pigma pens.

Sharpie Pens ... I have a set of the extra fine markers. Use them and then heat set with an iron. Tried it on some mug rugs that I made to use. So keep giving them wash tests!!! So far so good. I am "scared" to sign the blocks, as when I do a label, I usually do a bunch before I am totally happy. I really do not find it "comfortable" or "natural" writing on the fabric.

BTW ... because the fabric shifts around so much when writing on it, many iron it to freezer paper. I found that it didn't stick all that well, so now I spray the back of the fabric with 505 and attach it to paper. Then write on it. I leave the paper on, and cut it to size ...... and just like paper piecing, leave it on right thru any additional fabric being added.

Anael ... your DGS is so cute! and right into the snow!! I bet at this time you are ever-so-glad that you live near your DS/DDIL. And that they are too. I'm sure you will be wonderful support to her ... help her rest and know that her DS and DH are cared for too ... along with making curtains!! A difficult time for all, and I know you will help make a difference for them.

GGal ... have fun on your Wisconsin trip. Forget? is this to one of your kids? Good plan to use the LQS' en route for the stretch breaks you need while driving! What I really like seeing at new shops are all their store samples for inspiration. There's been patterns I have not liked ... and then when it was in a different fabric combo, can change of heart towards it! Travel safely!!

DDamsel ... Hip Hip Hooray! Glad to see you back, and no, no horror stories here. It's all for fun ... and I've got the tea kettle on to share a spot with you. And HHH too, for time at your parents' and finished projects! So sorry that this time of the year is difficult for you. In a lot of ways, it isn't the best for me either ... thanks to a couple of good friends IRL ... and all these wonderful PC Ladies, I manage. Though, as I told one friend the other day ... be ready, you know there will be a meltdown. And I know they will be there to help me pull it together when it happens.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Last Night was our local parade ... you might want to take a look at this link ...
http://www.rockwoodfarmersparade.org/

While the pictures are not the current year's parade, it'll give you an idea as to what it is. All the floats are farm implements decorated. The lights and decorations are now far beyond what many of these pics show! OUr little village comes alive .... from a population of about 3000 to over 15,000 lining the streets and country roads. The Parade starts at a farm, out the back lane, around thru the village, up the next line and in the front lane of the farm.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:32 AM

Jan--your quilt is fun...not funny! Great job. I don't remember 1978 too well...I wasn't born til 79! No grey yet. I dyed my hair once in high school and it turned green! Thankfully it was just a "2-week" dye so didn't last too long! I did get hi-lights/low-lights a couple years back just for something to do, but otherwise I just let it go.

The pen I used on my BB was given to my dd by another quilter for tracing/using prismacolor pencils at the 4-H quilt club. It is a Pentel Gel Roller for Fabric (1.0mm Ball). I want to get something a little finer tipped, but all and all this one writes easily since it "rolls".

Good to hear from you DD...as well as Mirabelle and Honchey too

QNS--thanks again for the box of goodies!! We got into the special gift last night. Oh so yummy! That is one of my favorites and I have never made it.

QE--the Thread Heaven is a little 1x1 blue box....it would be easy to miss!