Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 05-25-2013, 01:54 PM

What a beautiful photo Anael, I don't think there is a dry eye in the PC group
Old 05-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

QE--how about this Ferris Wheel block for Cowbells and Carousels and put in some cows in the center or do you have some of that black/red graphic dairy themed fabric like the FQ you sent me?

http://lcscottage.wordpress.com/2012...l-quilt-block/

Then for the 4-H block something with the earth I see green land and blue seas. 4-H a world wide experience. Did you have an IFYE program in Canada?

Just brainstorming here, QE.

QNS what a striking two color block! Jeanie is right to be delighted!

Anael--I saw the clothesline!! GS was born in Sept '02 and when Dutch family came in November they brought along a wooden stork (maybe 1 1/2 to 2 m tall) with clothesline and clothes to hang from each side of it. DD and DSIL used the stork and line when baby #2 was born in '04, too. Such a neat tradition--if I remember it means Mom and baby (babies) are ready for company.

Our Memorial Day stems from several communities who honored our Civil War (1862-1865) dead. In springtime, mourners tended the gravesites--originally May 29th. Now celebrated last full weekend of May for a 3 day holiday. Cemeteries are covered with floral remembrances and flags. Monday GS #1 (11) is going to the Veterans service to help with the flag raising--he learned how to fold the Stars and Stripes properly. The Wisconsin GC (10 & 8) along with their 4-H club members put small flags on the Veterans graves at a local cemetery as a Citizenship project. Often times it's a cool blustery weekend--this year is no exception!

On 11-11 we celebrate Veterans Day. It is not a moveable holiday. The local VFW auxiliary sells poppies made by wounded veterans to help support their citizenship programs. "In Flanders Fields" was a part of our Literature curriculum in HS, but did not realize author was a Countryman QE and Janie.

http://www.flandersfieldsmusic.com/thepoem.html

Oh yeah PO was open this morning so MB got mailed in time Phew!! dublb look for your replacement as well! Should be Tuesday. I followed Carrie's mailing recommendations on your package, Bev.

DH and I may take a road trip west for the day tomorrow. It's an hour to his parents gravesite and another 2 hours to mine and since we won't be working in the field we just may go for the day. I don't go to my parents' very often because of the distance.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

I just remembered someone asked about the Hera marker. Yes it's a durable plastic marker to fit nicely in your hand. By running it across the fabric with a minimal amount of pressure it makes a small crease on your fabric that will iron out if necessary. That crease is visible to sew on top of. I first used it to mark darts in clothing construction many years ago.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 PM

Anael--Great pictures of the twins *at home*!!

QNS--Good block choice for Jeanie. It is so much fun seeing how everyone's MBs are coming together.

QE--No ideas right off on the challenge blocks...maybe tomorrow when I am not so tired.

It was pretty slow most of the day at the shop with a few rushes here and there and then about 30-45 minutes before closing about 10 people came in and things got busy! Everyone needed help and fabric cut.

During the slow time Connie (the owner) and I worked on picking fabrics for a new shop sample/kit to have for the All Iowa Shop Hop starting June 1st. Is anyone here a "Maxine" fan? The main fabric is this patriotic one: http://www.robertkaufman.com/fabrics/maxine_3/ Working with these bright colors is harder for me, but I think we came up with a pattern and fabrics to use.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

June MB is done!

The 4-H's are explained in the 4-H Pledge ....
I pledge
My Head to clearer thinking,
My Heart to greater loyalty,
My Hands to larger service,
My Health to better living,
For my club, my community, and my country.

The 4-H Motto is ... Learn To Do By Doing
So as you can see ... 4-H'ers get in there and do things!

Clubs can be formed for "any" subject ... so long as there are at least six members and two leaders. There's the traditional calf clubs, and crop clubs, sewing and cooking. Though the possibilities are endless. Just a few here in our area are .... photography, square dancing, dark light theatre, giant vegetable growing, veterinarian, marketing, environmental, electrical, tractor, maple syrup and on and on! Members ages are 9 thru 21.

Here's a little about 4-H history ... it started in the USA in 1901, and Canada followed in 1913
http://www.4-hontario.ca/about-4h/what-is-4h/history.aspx

OkSGlad ... Thanks for the start of ideas for that fabric. It's nice ... but a difficult one to work with for blocks. And thanks too, for the hera info. Will have to look for it. Does it work good once you have a sandwich made? Or more so for when piecing?

No, we never had IFYE here. Similar though is our Junior Farmers Association which will celebrate its 100 years next year. Interesting you mentioned IFYE, as my sister went to Indiana for an IFYE (or was it RYUSA?) conference, representing JF. And then a few years later, I went to Indiana, representing JF as well, but to the Hoosier Recreation Workshop. (any bells ringing GGal?) Thanks for the explanation of your Memorial and Veterans Days as I did not realize you had both.

Is your Memorial Day focused to the war dead, or anyone? We do not have a specific date for Memorial Services at the cemeteries and it is something that each cemetery does on their own. The one that most of my family are buried in is a small country cemetery and has a special service alternate years, the 1st Sunday of June. Some never have a dedicated service. Some every year. Many people make special efforts to visit and decorate their loved ones grave sites for Mother's and Father's Days. Some just do it "sometime". Some never go.

Not only was In Flanders Fields written by a countryman ... he was born and raised right here in Guelph (next city from me!). There's a museum dedicated to him in the home where he was born. A lovely little cottage sort of a house, with immaculate gardens. Thanks for the link ... I've never heard the poem put to music and what a wonderful song. We always had to recite it when we were in school. Wonder? if the kids do now?

Have a good trip tomorrow. It'll be a tiring trip ... a lot of driving and a time of rembrances. Take care, OKSGlad

Last edited by QuiltE; 05-25-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

CarrieM ... Oh yes, please ... ideas are definitely wanted! Maxine is always fun and I wish I could read all the sayings! I would think that it will be a big seller in the Shop Hop, as everyone will have a good laugh with it and want one of their own. Are your kids in 4-H ... they're at a perfect age for it!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:29 PM

Beautiful block JeanieG, well done QNS..

I just saw the other photos Anael and how wonderful, Isa looks like she is smiling at you, their nursery looks so bright and cheerful. I hope Mick is adjusting.

QuiltE I love that red, black and white fabric, does it have a name on the selvedge, my DD collects fabric in that colour range, sorry no idea as to what to do with it.

Sammy was feeling the cold yesterday so DH sat him on my lounge chair and made him comfortable.. We are talking to the vet tomorrow about him, he is not improving.
Attached Thumbnails dscf0274.jpg  
Old 05-25-2013, 11:30 PM

Time for a new lounge suite I think
Old 05-26-2013, 12:59 AM

Karen, I'm sorry Sammy isn't feeling any better. He looks quite comfy with his quilt!

Thanks everyone for explaining 4-H. I still don't have any ideas what block to make though!

Here's my latest wall hanging in progress. I need 2 more borders, 1 very narrow one and one broader. But I need to take a shower first It's 11 am already and I started sewing at about 7 am
Tell me what you think!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]415524[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]415525[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails atticwindow2-373-x-340-.jpg   atticwindow1.jpg  
Old 05-26-2013, 03:43 AM

Anael that is beautiful, I love the attic window setting and your feature fabric is gorgeous