Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along Completed Quilt/Top  Photo/Discussion Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Completed Quilt/Top Photo/Discussion Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Completed Quilt/Top Photo/Discussion Page

Old 11-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Hello RWQuilts ... I'm one of the latecomers and have admired your work in the block threads. So here's a nudge to encourage you, along with Evie and BeachComber to trundle on and get back in the FWS mode!

Typically, the Farmer's Wife didn't do so much of the handiwork during the summer/fall, as there was so much more work to do, to tend the garden and store up the produce for the winter. I think the three of you were just keeping in her spirit!

Good Luck, Ladies!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 PM

Thanks, Jeanie! I'll be back often to say, "Howdy". I was planning to buy the Pony Club book, so I could at least read it ... plus I like to have all the block variety info. handy. However, I decided not to spend the money now as I'm pinching pennies so I can get a good machine to use strictly for quilting. I have lots of machines, but think I need one more to put on my corner table and dedicated to quilting only.

I can't remember if I ever told you how much I like your gorgeous quilts. They are mighty nice. I particularly like the Christmas fabrics one.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:08 PM

This is one talented group of quilters. congrats to you all for the beautiful work!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Hello RWQuilts ... I'm one of the latecomers and have admired your work in the block threads. So here's a nudge to encourage you, along with Evie and BeachComber to trundle on and get back in the FWS mode!

Typically, the Farmer's Wife didn't do so much of the handiwork during the summer/fall, as there was so much more work to do, to tend the garden and store up the produce for the winter. I think the three of you were just keeping in her spirit!
Good Luck, Ladies!
Thank you so much! Your words are very kind. My problem is that my space is much too small to lay out my quilt. What I need to do is to take it somewhere that I can pin my blocks onto a sheet so I can then bring it back home and lay it on my bed as I work on it and repin as I go. I am not quitting, I am just having to wait a bit for the right opportunity to pin my quilt, then I will finish the top.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
Thank you so much! Your words are very kind. My problem is that my space is much too small to lay out my quilt. What I need to do is to take it somewhere that I can pin my blocks onto a sheet so I can then bring it back home and lay it on my bed as I work on it and repin as I go. I am not quitting, I am just having to wait a bit for the right opportunity to pin my quilt, then I will finish the top.
Good Plan ... find a friend, or a church hall/floor, or?? and lay them out. I remember reading that someone took them outside on a nice day and worked with them on the ground. (was that JanRN? or??) Good LUck!! We'll all be here to see it when you get it laid out (photo time!!) before you start the next stage!
Old 11-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by weezie View Post
Thanks, Jeanie! I'll be back often to say, "Howdy". I was planning to buy the Pony Club book, so I could at least read it ... plus I like to have all the block variety info. handy. However, I decided not to spend the money now as I'm pinching pennies so I can get a good machine to use strictly for quilting. I have lots of machines, but think I need one more to put on my corner table and dedicated to quilting only.

I can't remember if I ever told you how much I like your gorgeous quilts. They are mighty nice. I particularly like the Christmas fabrics one.
Yeaaa for you and your new machine plans!!
And boo for us, that you won't be doing the PCQ!!!
Yeaaa again, that you'll be here in spirit, and to keep us inspired. With your FWS experience, you'll be a great advisor!

New machine .... I bought the Janome 6600 in September, at the time thinking I was being somewhat frivolous. I'm SO loving it!!!!! And to think I haven't even started to do any FMQ or SITD. Imagine how wonderful I'll think it is then? It's been such a dream!! Do you know what machine you are going to buy? Have fun with your shopping!
Old 11-29-2011, 05:38 AM

Yeaaa for you and your new machine plans!!
And boo for us, that you won't be doing the PCQ!!!
Yeaaa again, that you'll be here in spirit, and to keep us inspired. With your FWS experience, you'll be a great advisor!

New machine .... I bought the Janome 6600 in September, at the time thinking I was being somewhat frivolous. I'm SO loving it!!!!! And to think I haven't even started to do any FMQ or SITD. Imagine how wonderful I'll think it is then? It's been such a dream!! Do you know what machine you are going to buy? Have fun with your shopping!
Good morning, QuiltE! I am FWS browsing again this a.m. I just love all your blocks. I bet you have a marvelous fabric stash. The machine that I'm having trouble with is basically brand new. It is a Janome 1600DPX & was bought for my Grace frame; I had it all set up and everything working fine when my son lost his job and needed to move back home. Now the frame is dismantled and the machine is set up on a table and it's not so user friendly there. However, I'm going to try some more to get it to cooperate with me; the problems probably are due to operator error. If I try & try & still fail miserably, a Janome 6600 is exactly the machine I have my eye on. Supposedly, the dealer who lives just a 10-minute drive from my house is keeping "his eye out" for a good deal for me on a previously owned machine. Perhaps someone will upgrade to a Horizon or the new 12000 for Christmas and trade in a 6600 or a Viking Sapphire. (Dream on, Weezie!!!)
Old 11-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

Sorry for the way things have been working out for you. When I bought my 6600 and was in picking it up, I spoke with a lady who has several machines and she was telling that the 1600 is her favourite "workhorse", though the limitations for the straight stitch only. She has the 6600 and loves it almost as much, and went on about how much I'd love it as the all-purpose part made more sense for my usage. She's a professional seamstress, and the 1600 is where she does most of the wedding gown sewing where she gets bulk and layers all together. So if you love your 1600, you'll love the 6600. And yes, bet with with the new model out, there'll be trades coming in with your name written all over them!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:32 PM

Sorry for the way things have been working out for you. When I bought my 6600 and was in picking it up, I spoke with a lady who has several machines and she was telling that the 1600 is her favourite "workhorse", though the limitations for the straight stitch only. She has the 6600 and loves it almost as much, and went on about how much I'd love it as the all-purpose part made more sense for my usage. She's a professional seamstress, and the 1600 is where she does most of the wedding gown sewing where she gets bulk and layers all together. So if you love your 1600, you'll love the 6600. And yes, bet with with the new model out, there'll be trades coming in with your name written all over them!
Thank you. I can pretty much roll with the punches (so far!). I was really glad to have the son living here throughout the past year when DH had surgeries and serious complications and spent much time in hosp. & rehab. & recovering. We don't know how we would have managed without the son here. As for the 1600, it is a good machine and I'm feeling more optimistic about learning how to do acceptable FMQ on it (I have the cover plate/darning foot combo. for that). I don't know exactly when I'll sit down to practice again; winter weather is breathing down our necks, so to speak, and I'm struggling to finish a lap quilt for me ASAP (the first quilt I've made just for me). Is it cold yet where you are?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Hurrahhhh for your very own quilt! Sadly too often, we forget about ourselves and make these things for others all too often. Generous ♥s we are, though we do need to take care of our own too.
Yes, winter weather is breathing down our necks too .... somedays more than others!!!! We've had the odd dusting of snow, though it has not lasted. Then last week it was 10-12C. Lovely!! Today we've had LOTS of rain, and it's been a COLD one! Tending towards zero again, with the weekend threats of the S word again! Who knows? I'm OK if we get the snow ... besides it puts one more in the Christmas spirit!!

I'm sure you'll figure out the 1600 for FMQ when you get the chance .... like most things, it's the practice that lets us get comfortable with a technique. I just hate the practice part .... I want instant gratification and amazing results, right out of the starting gate!!!! (can you tell I am not ye of patience?)