Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along week 31  blocks 61 & 62  Discussion Page: Notice >

The FWS Quilt-Along week 31 blocks 61 & 62 Discussion Page: Notice

The FWS Quilt-Along week 31 blocks 61 & 62 Discussion Page: Notice

Old 03-09-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
I am going to cut long 1/1/2" wide strips from my sashing fabric and chain sew all my blocks onto the strips, leaving a bit of sashing strip between each block. Thought you might be interested in doing this also, rather than cutting out all those 6-1/2" lengths first.
I was thinking of doing this too. We must be on the same "wave length"! :lol:
Old 03-10-2011, 09:04 AM

My opinion...I've done that before and find it a pain --the blocks turn and you have too much to deal with on the side.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 AM

What color sashing and cornerstones did you all decide on? I'm still not 100% sure what color I'm going to use. I'm going to a quilt expo at the end of the month so will have a lot to look at and hopefully decide then. I've never done scrappy so I'm not sure if I should use light or dark sashing. I'd appreciate any suggestions and if you'd share what colors you chose.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
What color sashing and cornerstones did you all decide on? I'm still not 100% sure what color I'm going to use. I'm going to a quilt expo at the end of the month so will have a lot to look at and hopefully decide then. I've never done scrappy so I'm not sure if I should use light or dark sashing. I'd appreciate any suggestions and if you'd share what colors you chose.
I'm using the dark beige fabric in some of my blocks, plus the navy blue/black (really dark color) cornerstones. That is what you all recommended when I posted different options. so I went with that. Thanks all for the suggestions!
Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
My opinion...I've done that before and find it a pain --the blocks turn and you have too much to deal with on the side.
I have done it this way and dont care for it much either! its harder to get a accurate seam, and then I have to cut it apart with scissors.
I much prefer to slice the pieces up individualy and sew them one at a time.

that said! I am planning on sewing the entire top by hand, so I will have to cut the strips up to size. I have never done this before, it has been quite an experiance! I hope I dont get to bored with the sashing, that is why Im trying to get a head start on it all.
:D :D :D
Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 PM

Jeanie thanks. I have another question (sorry). I should have asked this at the beginning. Some of my blocks have beige backgrounds and some have white. Should I have been consistant? If so, I can re-do some of the blocks to make them all the same. I don't mind re-doing some if this is what scrappy is supposed to be like. Thank you again!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
Jeanie thanks. I have another question (sorry). I should have asked this at the beginning. Some of my blocks have beige backgrounds and some have white. Should I have been consistant? If so, I can re-do some of the blocks to make them all the same. I don't mind re-doing some if this is what scrappy is supposed to be like. Thank you again!
I made more than enough blocks, so the ones that have the same background as my sashing I am not using, except for one. I also should have been more thoughtful of the sashing earlier, but once I did decide on the sashing color, I stopped using that fabric on any outside block pieces.

This is the first time I have done a quilt like this, so will be more aware of picking the sashing fabric early on the next time around.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:24 AM

I haven't picked my sashing or cornerstone blocks fabrics yet. Can't deside. My blocks are all scrappy and not one color for the backgrounds. I am thinking picking fabrics not used in the blocks. My husband likes the dark brown like the picture in the book.