Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along  Week 40  Blocks 79 & 80   Photo Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Week 40 Blocks 79 & 80 Photo Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Week 40 Blocks 79 & 80 Photo Page

Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 PM

The quilt is from material I bought about 5 years ago at a local LQS. It was on sale and I loved the colors. They reminded me of prairies. Heather green, a subdued gold and some brick red. Later I found out that most of the fabrics I picked out were Daiwabo prints!

I'm making a quilt that Janet Wickell designed on her about.com quilting site. It is alternating snowball blocks with economy blocks. It makes a beautiful lattice with the squares in the corners of each block. I saw the pattern about 2 years ago and knew immediately it was perfect for my "prairie" quilt.

I just made an audition Economy block to make sure the colors went together well. And ta-da! They did! Very exciting!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Sounds nice ... and I'll excitedly wait to see your results!
Oh I have fabric just like that .... that I buy because I like it and have no clue what to do with it! Sometimes I have the right amount when the time comes, and then sometimes I have to be innovative!

Have fun!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 AM

I am new to the Quilting Board. I am also beginning to make the FWS. I have found some of the rotary cutting instructions but not all. Is there an easier waymto navigate and find them?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Welcome DinahSchis ... the rotary cutting instructions were all developed by Honchey. Evie has a complete listing of all the FWS threads on her blog. So that's your easiest way to find all. A suggestion ... "subscribe" to all the threads, so that you see any posts that are made from here on. It takes a bit of time, but well worth it, as you can follow and post with us.

Be sure to post your blocks so we can all ooooh and aaaahhh and help you build your momentum!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

QE, oh I like the purple block! It will surely add some sparkle to you quilt. But the first block has some nice movement within the block and is an attractive block in its own right.

Welcome Dinahschis! I only have 25-30 blocks done so join right in. What I have been doing is getting the instructions (rotary cut) for 6 or 7 pairs of blocks, choose my fabrics and then get to sewing. It's so much less start and stopping and I can pull out my Civil War fabrics for a just a short time and then put them back. I find fabric selection to be the most time consuming for me especially since I'm using some layer cake pieces and have limited amounts of some fabrics. After I finish the next block I will have to go back and check out the RCut instructions and start the process again.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
QE, oh I like the purple block! It will surely add some sparkle to you quilt. But the first block has some nice movement within the block and is an attractive block in its own right.
Thanks OKSGlad! ... I am getting the sense that you like purple!!! I started adding splatterings of it in some of the blocks, after you mentioned to get some purples and oranges in the mix. Those group shots really helped me when you Ladies gave me feedback! Bless You!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 AM

Let me add my howdy-do to DinahSchis! I look forward to seeing your blocks!

If y'all wonder where I get all my "diverse" western lingo, let me just said that my DM used to always sing my DS and I cowboys from her DF's time. She learned them from old 78's--remember those? And they were all sad, where the hero dies at the end. The official comment now is "Mom didn't know a happy song"!
Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

ha! .... Country and Western songs are still often the truck ain't working, the wife run away with the ol' cow hand, etc.!

Hey .... For the Non-Canucks .... do you get Heartland on the TV? The modern cowboy/western show? I love it! Good story line and great scenery!!!
Hope my fellow Canucks are as enamoured by it, as I!