Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: January 1, 2013 - Whirling Star 2 direction's & discussion.

Thanks for explaining that, looking at the quiltcache pattern I thought I needed 4 or 8 prints and two solids.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
    you need to use four different fabrics for this block.
    i've put yellow in this example where you need the 4th fabric to go.
    Attachment 385241
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Whew, good thing I redid 4 of the spokes by picking them out then! I am much happier with it now, thanks so posted a new picture! And..... I promise not to be such a "pain" every month....
    i don't know why you thought you were being a pain.
    we are doing this to help ourselves and each other explore and grow as quilters.
    mistakes and questions are a big part of that.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: patricej@quiltingboard.com

How fun! Now to decide what fabrics I want to use on this. Stuff from my stash or possibly build up a stash of 30's reproductions and use those. Hmmm......
    Avatar is a quilt made by my great grandmother that I inherited.

Hello and Happy New Year to you all!
    I am new to this site and I am so exctied that I find myself on it all the time. I love this block !! However do you think it would look good made out of scraps. I am also looking for a fast and easy pattern that I can make out of many 5 inch squares. Anyone have any ideas ??? if so send them my way.
    thanks

dd
    I decided to do 30's too. I have a little stash but I'm having trouble matching solids to the prints.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by akaiser2 View Post
    I love this block !! However do you think it would look good made out of scraps?
    yes. this block would look great in scraps.
    just make sure you pick scraps from four color families.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: patricej@quiltingboard.com

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Whew, good thing I redid 4 of the spokes by picking them out then! I am much happier with it now, thanks so posted a new picture! And..... I promise not to be such a "pain" every month....
    I made 2 blocks/ 1 using traditional piecing & 1 pp. Quilters cache instructs to make 8 trap segments that are the same. Well I did & it about drove me crazy trying to figure out how to get my trap segments positioned correctly!
    Went back to computer & looked at pix in grayscale then I saw the problem/ 4 needed to be reversed. That block will stay as a simple star & pp block will be correct
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

There is a really good little maybe 3 minute tutorial on the jinny beyer site on Y seams. she shows how to do them by machine and how to do them by hand. I think it makes perfect sense when you watch it live if you can get away from checking out all her gorgeous fabric. If I won the lotto it would ALL be mine! I had never seen her stuff before but wow. still havent sat down to do this yet. lucky for me the month is still young.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

It wasn't the Y seams that drove me crazy, that's not a problem but the finished segments were all the same & actually you needed 4 segments and another 4 that were their mirror image.
    The block is still interesting and has a star, just not a whirling star.
    Thanks to Patrice showing the different ways to position them to get different blocks, I didn't feel bad leaving it the way it came out
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

I really like this block. I have been very intimidated by paper piecing but of course I want to try it. Can I use regular printer paper or do I need special paper? And here I was think I was going to play with my "Rose" tomorrow out in the studio..
    The day you stop learning is the they day you die..

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast