Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: January 1, 2013 - Whirling Star 2 direction's & discussion.

dd
    Mine didn't print the seam allowance either. That didn't bother me so much. But without the 1" test square, I'm not sure they are printed to the correct size. Haven't tried making it yet.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Quote Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor View Post
    Sus, if you're PP there shouldn't be a problem. If you're doing the traditional just remember to make 4 segments like instructed & then 4 segments reversed (if you're using a specific fab for your star points)
    you can do it!
    I would like clarification on the info about 4 segments and 4 reversed. I am using one material for the star points and when I look at the picture I don't see that any are reversed. Is it when you sew them together?
    Enjoying life to the fullest is learning to quilt and riding my motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling Lake View Post
    I would like clarification on the info about 4 segments and 4 reversed. I am using one material for the star points and when I look at the picture I don't see that any are reversed. Is it when you sew them together?
    Yes, when I did one trad.way when sewing I realized that since they were all constructed the same my blue (which was to be all the star points ) would wind up with 4 more to outside edge. The inst state to "make 4 more segments in the same way". But take it from one who messed up-- reverse 4.
    When doing the PP its not a problem.
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

Quote Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor View Post
    Yes, when I did one trad.way when sewing I realized that since they were all constructed the same my blue (which was to be all the star points ) would wind up with 4 more to outside edge. The inst state to "make 4 more segments in the same way". But take it from one who messed up-- reverse 4.
    When doing the PP its not a problem.
    Thanks Joyce. I will keep trying. I haven't tried PP yet but that is on my list. I only started quilting a few months ago. I have made 15 or so sample blocks but this one is definitely a new challenge! I have another problem that I need help on. When I try to sew the 1/4 area. where the three come together, I get a tuck in the one that I sew the other side of the triangle to. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Blog Entries
    Patrice: This looks exciting!Printed off the PP templates from your post, thanks for doing that by the way! Question: Pg. 3 has 1/4 inch added to the templates, do I need to add the 1/4 inch to pages 1-2-4 to end up with the correct size block? Thanks for your help!
    Tulip

"Takeyour needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose byand by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    do I need to add the 1/4 inch to pages 1-2-4 to end up with the correct size block? Thanks for your help!
    all of the foundation patterns should have printed with the 1/4" seam allowance.
    when you print them again, click on the "Advanced" button in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
    select the option to "Print as Image".
    that should cause them to all print properly.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: patricej@quiltingboard.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks Patrice, they printed just right!
    Tulip

"Takeyour needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose byand by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I have been trying to make the pattern and can't seem to get rid of the tuck when I sew the other side of the triangle to finish the piece. Can someone give me any ideas? I am new at this and haven't put 3 pieces together like this.

I wish I could help you, Sparkling Lake, but I did it paper pieced and it sounds like you are having trouble with the Y seams which I've never done. You might google Y seam tutorial and I'm sure something will pop up. I've got to finish mine tomorrow. Good luck.
    Andii

Jinny Beyer's website has a tutorial. She says to start sewing from the inside out toward the outside of the block.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast