Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete >

Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete

Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete

Old 10-07-2015, 10:07 AM

I have a big question. When I started I thought I would do all the applique by hand. Now I am thinking that this is going on my bed and I think I should machine applique to make sure it is sturdy. How do you feel about this? I know that means I can get a lot more done quicker
Old 10-07-2015, 01:54 PM

I started mine with the same thought. Then, I thought as you did and that I wasn't really enjoying the hand work at all. SOOOOOOO, I changed my plan and have been happier since.

Last Saturday I saw a lady at the LQS who brought her finished top..ALL HAND PIECED! UGH! it was beautiful! But, I just don't think I'm up to that
Old 10-07-2015, 02:40 PM

I admire people who do it all by hand but I have too much more that I want to do to spend that time. Just to finish this quilt will be an accomplishment.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:44 AM

Well I said I was going to get back at my Dear Jane and I did and of course, the first block I have to do is the hardest one on the whole quilt. Wow sixteen melons on one five inch block is enough to exhaust anyone. It took me forever to do but it is done and I finished my "J" row. Row "K" looks like fun and looking forward to the challenge.
Attached Thumbnails img_2011.jpg  
Old 10-23-2015, 04:40 PM

I updated my Dear Jane chart and I thought I would share it with all of you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dear Jane Block Charta.pdf (493.9 KB, 163 views)
Old 10-23-2015, 04:58 PM

Go, go, GO! Keep it up.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:13 PM

Wow, Kmeyer, way to get back to it. They are beautiful!!
Old 10-24-2015, 03:59 AM

Thank you Fraew and CindyA, I tried a new technique with the applique. I put just a minute dab of Rosanne's glue on the curves and it helps give it stability. I wish I would of used this in the beginning. Row "K" looks a little easier. That Row "J" was a dillie.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kmeyer View Post
Thank you Fraew and CindyA, I tried a new technique with the applique. I put just a minute dab of Rosanne's glue on the curves and it helps give it stability. I wish I would of used this in the beginning. Row "K" looks a little easier. That Row "J" was a dillie.
Nice tip, I'll try it the next time I'm working with curves. Have to finish up my two Potato Head costumes before I can get back to DJ.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:39 PM

popping in to see what's been happening here!
WOW you are coming along Fraew and Kmeyer from what I see yes, donac - so many quilt possibilities, so little time! I love to work on a quilting project as I relax in front of the tv, so often when working on Jane over the past few years I would complete an applique block at night after cutting all pieces during the day. I have a couple of friends in my guild that are making the entire jane by hand, to include the pieced blocks For me there would be too many other things to do, although there have been times I have pieced sections by hand, particularly when I've had a hard time matching points or find a block particularly frustrating. You gotta love doing the stuff by hand to continue it though. Life has been a bit insane for many months now - all relatively well, but a couple sick animals,etc...

If any of you do want to contact me for a piece of advice on a block or whatever, do send me a PM

Unfortunately, I don't pop in very much any more. I did meet a lady who will help me rearrange my Jane layout so the colors don't clash - I didn't use the around the world pattern, I sort of picked fabrics I liked for each particular block and need to work on the layout now I did find my mom's dress that reminded me so much of block L-10 which I sketched more like the original block and made. All blocks are now officially finished. I will post a picture as soon as I get it laid out!

Dotty's quilt is truly beautiful!! aw... to be finished!
Gus