Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along >

McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along

McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along

Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
Caroline- if the kids make you do it- it doesn't count What colors did you get ??????
Colors: peachy orange and yellow and greens. I will take some pics tomorrow and post. The name of the fabric is "A Fuji Afternoon Scene" and "A Fuji Afternoon Umbrellas" mfg by Springs Creative Products Group. It is a Japanese Geisha themed fabric. I was surprised that I found any fabric at Joanne's that appealed to me and had good quality.

I am still debating about going back and another Fabric C for my McCall's Mystery. The only fabric I could come up with to blend with my Fabric A was a solid bed sheet. And my Fabric B is sort of directional. I will also post pics tomorrow so you can give your opinion.

Yep, I have fallen off the wagon and it is pulling away from me fast.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
LOL I totally agree - although I went shopping last weekend and was really quiet restrained spent less than 50.00 I think that is great for me
Well, I did have a 20% off total price coupon and a 40% coupon for the Fuji Afternoon Scene fabric so I did SAVE $72.09. And I did buy some fabric and other goodies for my DD so it was not all for me.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Power Poster

WOO HOO nice shopping
Old 01-27-2012, 11:38 PM

i played the midnight raider tonight and went over to w/m. was able to get the mar/ april issue but still haven't found my jan/feb issue. hope i do soon! i don't want to be too far behind everyone! hopefully joann's still has the 1st issue! caroline, what post is your fabric? i'd love to see it! my daughter shows no interest- so you have a good news/ bad news sort of situation lol, lucky you! i'd be delighted, personally!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:46 PM

I'm skipping this one but I'm looking forward to seeing everyones finished blocks.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Well, I did have a 20% off total price coupon and a 40% coupon for the Fuji Afternoon Scene fabric so I did SAVE $72.09. And I did buy some fabric and other goodies for my DD so it was not all for me.
I went shopping last weekend and had my DH with me. He actually went into Joann's with me and not only watched me pick out fabric, he carried the bolts to the cutting counter. He stood there amazed as the cutting lady and I had our exchange about yardage and end of bolt discounts. He shook his head and said, 'can you really do that?" I said, "Yup, not only can I , but do on a regular basis".

We got to the register and he stood by my side, hadn't a clue as to how much I was spending and watched the total grow. I could feel the hair on the back of his neck going up. Then she took the discounts.. 50% for the end of bolt piece, 40% off all of the Keepsake fabric, and then I had a phone coupon for 20% off of the total price. When I told him that I just saved over $50 dollars, he let out a sigh of relief! LOL Was the best fabric shopping trip I have had in a long time. LOL

Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Don't you love when you can surprise them like that Love all the sales and coupons
Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 AM

If anyone decides late to do this and can't find the mags, I've got an extra of both the Dec/Jan and Feb/Mar.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 AM

Question My first (won't be the last) question! :) Thanks!

Wow!! Thanks for all the welcoming posts...and I am so glad you also welcome questions along the way because..well.. there will probably be a lot!! Ha!
Here's the first!! .. (Sorry for the pic quality..hopefully you can get the idea!)

Okay! So here's my best attempt picking!! (also may pick a different 2 tone brown/ and who knows find a different selection all together..lol) but anyway here is my question on these fabrics! I put them in order of how I understood the fabric selection directions feeling as the stripe was more of a "light" value?! My concern is that fabric B being so much yardage and being the brown will make the quilt dark but then again the other 3 are light so maybe it will balance? Other thing is I love the tone on tone green but such a large print figured it wouldn't go for C (since asking for small/medium print) so put it as D being the least yardage?! hmmm!?!

So I guess the other fabric selection option is:
A: Multi color stripe
B: Two tone green
C: Some sort of Brown
D: Blue

Thoughts?!
Any insight being more experienced with laying out a quilt and color selections?!

Thanks for your help!
I hope to go today!
Jeanette
Attached Thumbnails fabric.jpg  
Old 01-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by Jmncolts View Post
Wow!! Thanks for all the welcoming posts...and I am so glad you also welcome questions along the way because..well.. there will probably be a lot!! Ha!
Here's the first!! .. (Sorry for the pic quality..hopefully you can get the idea!)

Okay! So here's my best attempt picking!! (also may pick a different 2 tone brown/ and who knows find a different selection all together..lol) but anyway here is my question on these fabrics! I put them in order of how I understood the fabric selection directions feeling as the stripe was more of a "light" value?! My concern is that fabric B being so much yardage and being the brown will make the quilt dark but then again the other 3 are light so maybe it will balance? Other thing is I love the tone on tone green but such a large print figured it wouldn't go for C (since asking for small/medium print) so put it as D being the least yardage?! hmmm!?!

So I guess the other fabric selection option is:
A: Multi color stripe
B: Two tone green
C: Some sort of Brown
D: Blue

Thoughts?!
Any insight being more experienced with laying out a quilt and color selections?!

Thanks for your help!
I hope to go today!
Jeanette
Personally, I don't like stripes, but the colors that you have chosen to go with the strips, work very well together!