Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
A New Mystery Quilt Train Ride! Hop on-board anytime >

A New Mystery Quilt Train Ride! Hop on-board anytime

A New Mystery Quilt Train Ride! Hop on-board anytime

Old 05-26-2012, 06:52 AM

But I love the excitement!!!! Better than Black Friday because I know I will get the clue.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:54 AM

I am going to give this a go. I wish it would be time already! I have never done anything like this, so let's see what happens!
Old 05-26-2012, 07:04 AM

Default Step # 2 of the Mystery Quilt

<DIR><DIR>Are we ready to begin? Yes, I am sure you are, so … here we go. I will give the 5-color-quilt cutting first, then the scrappy quilt.

You will cut WOF (width of fabric) unless otherwise indicated. Anything not cut today, as well as any leftovers from the strips, will be set aside and used later. (Colors D and E are not cut today) I have used the traditional half-square triangle method using 4-78“ blocksand made a small drawing if you need a reference on how to do it. There are plenty of places on the internet that give better pictures, for instance Fons and Porter magazine. (But you can use your favorite method -- specialty triangles, Thangles, Laundry Basket to name a few. Cut the strips as directions for your method calls for. I will not be giving any cutting instruction for these other methods to avoid confusion).
Gather the three 1-¼ yard pieces of fabric and determine which of the three 1-¼ yard pieces of fabric you want to use for the background. This will be color C. The others, naturally, will be colors A and B.

From Color A cut 2 WOF strip 4-7/8” wide, and then cut into 16 squares that will measure 4-7/8” square.

From Color B cut 2 WOF strip 4-7/8” wide, and then cut into 16 squares that will measure 4-7/8” square.

From Color C cut 2 WOF strip 4-7/8” wide, and then cut into 16 squares that will measure 4-7/8” square.

To make a half-square triangle
1) place an A and a B right sides together. Match edges.
2) Using a pencil or a disappearing fabric marker, draw a diagonal line from corner to corner, then add lines ¼” from the center line. Sew just to the inside (away from the center line) alone these two lines.
3) Cut on the original diagonal line. Press to the dark. Trim to 4-½” if needed.
4) You now have 2 identical half-square A-B half-square triangle blocks measuring 4-½”. Using an additional 7 A and 7 B squares, repeat this step. You will end up with a total a total of 16 A-B half-square triangles.

Using 8 A and 8 C, repeat the above to make 16 A-C combination blocks.

Using 8 B and 8 C, repeat to make 16 B-C combination blocks.

You will have 16 each of the A-B, A-C and B-C combinations of half square triangle blocks, a total of 48 4-½“ blocks.

SCRAPPY
(NOTE: if you are using 5” charm squares, cut 4 WOF color C at 5” wide, make 32 of these Color C blocks. Make your half-square triangles as explained below about assembling the colors, and then trim to 4-½“ squares after cutting on the diagonal. This will be much easier than trying to cut the charm squares into 4-7/8“ squares.)

Note: if you are have trouble making half-square triangles come out to proper size, you may want to make all your blocks 5” square then trim to 4-½” after the diagonal sewing.

Traditional method of half-square triangle blocks:
From your color C, the background fabric, cut 4 WOF strips 4-7/8” wide, and cut into 32 pieces that will measure 4-7/8” square. From your selection of scraps, cut 48 pieces that measure 4-7/8” square.

Pick a light and a dark from your 4-7/8” scrappy blocks. Make half-square triangles from these two blocks, giving you 2 identical 4-½“ blocks. Using different combinations of light and dark, light and medium, and medium and dark, put together 15 more of the combination half square triangles, when cut and pressed you will have a total of you will have 16 of the 2- color combinations.

The last picture below gives you an idea of how I mixed up the colors on the A-B combination blocks. I took the picture and then assembled my sample - it was at that point I realized I should have made more of a contrast on the blocks with the background and scrappy fabrics, but didn't re-do them. My bad!

Pick 16 of the scrappy and put with 16 of the color C. If your background C is very light, try not to use too many light light scrappy colors with the C. Same goes if C is medium or dark - you want a contrast. Make half-square triangles - you will have 32 of the scrappy/color C half-square triangle blocks.

I know this is a big lesson, but next week’s will be a bit less time-consuming if you need to catch up. Please, don’t feel under pressure to complete all this by next week if it is too much for you to do in one week -- it is just that many of the gals Pmed me asking for more to do in one lesson than I had done on the other mystery.
Next posting will be June 2[SUP]nd[/SUP].
</DIR></DIR>
Attached Thumbnails 005-copy-2-.jpg   005-copy.jpg   005.jpg   001.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
half square triangle block.pdf (315.7 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by paintmejudy; 05-26-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:05 AM

Pictures came out really strange - they didn't all post in a line like normal. Oh well. And looks like you need to click on the blue words to get the little diagram to open. Sorry, don't know what went wrong.

Last edited by paintmejudy; 05-26-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:11 AM

thank you Judy.....now get well, ok, we want you feeling better fast !!!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 07:16 AM

Nancia, I'm up in the observation car watching the scenry too. The last mystery quilt was so much fun, and I keep thinking about this one, but there is too much to do outside now. So, maybe the train will run again.

PokerDiva, except for the snow, the view from your porch, looking out at the valley, is so beautiful. I'm sure if you decide to leave it will be really hard.

PaintmeJudy, I hope you're feeling better. The down side of traveling these days seems to be that you can count on being sick afterward. At least the bug waited until you got home so you could enjoy the cruise. Get well.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Judy! Take care of yourself and get well. My clue is saved, now time to get ready for the day.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:31 AM

i'm sure i'll be making this quilt later. sadiemae--can you tell me how you saved it? tia!

whitepine-- nice to have someone to sit with. this looks like it will be an interesting trip! and a really nice group to travel with!!

feel better real soon, judy. sounds like you had a wonderful trip. i hope when you're better you'll have some pictures to share!

Last edited by nancia; 05-26-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy60545 View Post
my studio is calling! I need to wind a bobbin for Queenie to finish the quilt on her, then on to the train! Just waiting anxiously for our clue!
LOL Cindy, you need to invest in a laptop! Bring it into you...sew a little..stretch a little..read the board a little
!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 AM

Oooooohhhhhh, the day has started great. Judy, hope you feel better soon. A nice hot bath with 1 cup apple cider vinegar, really helps the body ache.

I have printed the clues and will start putting fabrics together. I already made a trip to the grocery store so that I could get the frozen lemonade for rhubarb lemonade. So next will be a fire in the fireplace and put the feet up with a good book.

Have a great weekend.