Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 >

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Old 08-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Thanks ladies! I may have a few more pictures for you tonight... I've been busy! I may also have a few choice words to share about Bill's Bright Hopes. I think his hopes have dimmed thanks to my experience with that block!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:21 PM

I've been a busy bee this weekend - here are two more blocks...

First is Blazing Star - not much to say about that. It turned out OK. I hadn't planned to use the green originally, but I'm thinking that my quilt is going to need more green so I used that for the "background" applique. I think I like it.

But then - Bill's Bright Hopes. Yikes. I had fits trying to figure out the colors on this one. I spent more time last night just staring at my fabrics than I did sewing. And it still turned out icky. I glued and ripped apart and re-glued three times trying different combinations. My fabrics don't really lend themselves to fussy cutting and I feel like the center of this block could use a little punch of something - I actually cut out a couple of applique templates I thought about using, but I didn't really like any of them. I just need to remember that this is just one small part of my quilt and it doesn't need to be a stand-alone piece of art! In the end, I decided that simple with a little contrast was better than anything else I tried, and I stuck with just three colors.

Not only was *I* giving myself fits with this block - I swear the pattern from the book is backwards. If you fold under where the stars are on the pattern pieces for the big rectangle appliques, you would have to put them on the background in the other direction and the smaller appliques wouldn't make sense. Maybe I got myself turned around somehow, but it worked for me to follow the photos and not to follow the pattern. I'm glad that one is over.

So here are my blocks... thanks for looking and be ready for more! Seven more to go...

Blazing Star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244980[/ATTACH]

Bill's Bright Hopes (or dim future - as the case may be)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244981[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-244974.jpe   attachment-244975.jpe  
Old 08-21-2011, 05:23 PM

I seem to only be able to post my blocks in size extra large or extra small. You would think I would have this figured out by now!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:48 PM

I so agree with your comment about your remembering that any given block is just part of the whole and doesn't need to be a star on its own. It helps to remember that perspective when working on these blocks, especially!

Having said all of that I do like the two blocks you just pictured. I need to go back and look at the other blocks from the past and see how your other colors on your blocks look, too. But then, I like Batiks.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 PM

Lara something clicked when you mentioned Bill's Bright Hopes and I went back and checked my book.

I have made a note in my book - "Template A marked incorrectly".

If I had been more awake I would have posted a comment about this when I posted my block, but I had slightly altered another block to make better use of my fabrics and didn't remember which one it was at the time.

Shame on me :oops:

For those still coming up to this one -

'BEWARE BILL'S BRIGHT HOPES'.

Lara, your blocks look lovely by the way.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 AM

Lara, you're coming right along with your blocks and they are absolutely beautiful.

Deecee, your finished blocks are gorgeous. I know what you mean about having trouble taking a photo of all of them. I finally spread them on the bed over a black sheet and stood on the headboard (no small feat) to take my photo. Here are my finished blocks. Now to decide what to do next...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-245209.jpe  
Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 AM
np3
Power Poster

Stunning!!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 AM

I knew I would love all of your blocks set out together! Not only do they look different from one another, they look so different put together than when we saw them one at a time. I am getting so excited to see mine farther along, too. But, I am getting ready for two sets of company and don't know when I will get back to the blocks.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:19 AM

Oh Irene! Your blocks are so beautiful together! What a warm and cozy quilt they are going to make! Thank you for posting them - and I'm glad you didn't have any mishaps during the photography session! Sounds dangerous....
Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 PM

Your blocks look fabulous Irene. Having them against the dark background sets them off nicely.

You are braver than me (or maybe just more agile) - my feet stay firmly on the ground for pic taking. Glad you stayed upright though.

Mine are pinned down one side of my design wall because of my House BOM on the other side which made it hard to get them all in the pic. I was too lazy to take them all down and arrange on the bed for a pic. :oops:

I have basically decided what I am doing with sashing, borders etc. but what starts out in my head often morphs into something else as it hits the sewing machine. I am not good at sticking to patterns.

I will be watching with interest to see what comes next with your blocks Irene.

Judith - we shall be here waiting for your show and tell when you have time.

Lara - you are on a roll. It won't take you long to catch up.