Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 >

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Old 02-23-2011, 07:34 PM

Finally! Here is my Advanced Liberty Star... It isn't perfect, but I like it. I finally invested in some tiny needles and fine thread made just for doing applique and it made a world of difference in my stitches. Even though I do a lot of hand sewing (bindings, etc.) without using a thimble, I learned early on that a thimble is an absolute necessity when using those tiny little needles. Ouch!

Advanced Liberty Star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]120788[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-120783.jpe  
Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 PM

Great fabric choices Lara, your star really shines.

I am using ordinary Mettler thread. Assuming your applique thread would be thinner than this, could you give me the brand name?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:22 PM

Beautiful, Lara. I am always impressed by good hand stitching. Personally, I get too impatient to sew with a needle and thread. .. or maybe I needed someone to show me the right way. I tried it once...

I had never done applique of any kind. So of course I set out to make a king size quilt with 5" hand applique squares. A week and 5 squares later, I stitched them into a wall hanging and swore I'd never do handwork again! lol But I am fairly good with machine applique....

I really need to get this week's blocks done before it turns into next week!

hugs, Jup
Old 02-24-2011, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Deecee
Great fabric choices Lara, your star really shines.

I am using ordinary Mettler thread. Assuming your applique thread would be thinner than this, could you give me the brand name?
Thanks Deecee!

I am using YLI silk thread that I got from ConnectingThreads.com. According to the website it is the thinnest thread available (100 wt). I know some don't like to use silk thread because it degrades faster than cotton, but I figure that my stitches are going to be hidden in the piece, on the wall, inside my house and not sitting on top of the piece in the sun. :wink: The quilt police can just keep on walking by! For the darker colors (red, dark green and brown) I'm just using 100% polyester thread that I have left over from my garment sewing days. It is thinner than the 100% cotton thread that I've been using to piece and quilt my quilts.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter
Beautiful, Lara. I am always impressed by good hand stitching. Personally, I get too impatient to sew with a needle and thread. .. or maybe I needed someone to show me the right way. I tried it once...

I had never done applique of any kind. So of course I set out to make a king size quilt with 5" hand applique squares. A week and 5 squares later, I stitched them into a wall hanging and swore I'd never do handwork again! lol But I am fairly good with machine applique....

I really need to get this week's blocks done before it turns into next week!

hugs, Jup
Thanks Jupiter!

I just took a look at your blog - you do really beautiful work! I am so impressed! I paint, and what you are doing with fabric totally rivals anything I have done with paint. WOW! Thank you for posting that link, I feel like I know you so much better now!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:01 AM

I checked out your blog also Jupiter - I also say - WOW - great stuff.

I am a painter also and I wholeheartedly agree with Lara's comment and I appreciate your ability to capture the substance and the essence of a subject in fabrics.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:05 AM

Obsessed - thanks for the info. regarding thread. Next time I'm at the LQS I will check if they stock YLI and have a look at it.

P.S. What type of painting do you do?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Finally! Here is my Advanced Liberty Star... It isn't perfect, but I like it. I finally invested in some tiny needles and fine thread made just for doing applique and it made a world of difference in my stitches. Even though I do a lot of hand sewing (bindings, etc.) without using a thimble, I learned early on that a thimble is an absolute necessity when using those tiny little needles. Ouch!
Your block is beautiful and looks perfect to me. I had some difficulties with mine as well :)
Old 02-24-2011, 10:02 AM

Lara, your block is very pretty! I agree that fine thread and needles help. I'm using YLI Silk thread, too. And I got some short needles for applique that are working well.

Judy
Old 02-24-2011, 10:28 AM

I use YLI 100 silk for machine applique. It practically disappears, compared to cotton which sits up and says "hi" to everyone it meets! I also use Sulky 40 Rayon when I want the stitching to show up.