Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 52 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2 42 51 52 53 62 102 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 1338

Thread: Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

  1. #511
    Senior Member Obsessed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Probably not where I should be...
    Posts
    691
    Finally! Here is my Advanced Liberty Star... It isn't perfect, but I like it. I finally invested in some tiny needles and fine thread made just for doing applique and it made a world of difference in my stitches. Even though I do a lot of hand sewing (bindings, etc.) without using a thimble, I learned early on that a thimble is an absolute necessity when using those tiny little needles. Ouch!

    Advanced Liberty Star
    Name:  Attachment-120783.jpe
Views: 25
Size:  56.5 KB

  2. #512
    Super Member Deecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    3,506
    Great fabric choices Lara, your star really shines.

    I am using ordinary Mettler thread. Assuming your applique thread would be thinner than this, could you give me the brand name?

  3. #513
    Senior Member Jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    in my studio up to my chin in fabric
    Posts
    856
    Beautiful, Lara. I am always impressed by good hand stitching. Personally, I get too impatient to sew with a needle and thread. .. or maybe I needed someone to show me the right way. I tried it once...

    I had never done applique of any kind. So of course I set out to make a king size quilt with 5" hand applique squares. A week and 5 squares later, I stitched them into a wall hanging and swore I'd never do handwork again! lol But I am fairly good with machine applique....

    I really need to get this week's blocks done before it turns into next week!

    hugs, Jup

  4. #514
    Senior Member Obsessed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Probably not where I should be...
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by Deecee
    Great fabric choices Lara, your star really shines.

    I am using ordinary Mettler thread. Assuming your applique thread would be thinner than this, could you give me the brand name?
    Thanks Deecee!

    I am using YLI silk thread that I got from ConnectingThreads.com. According to the website it is the thinnest thread available (100 wt). I know some don't like to use silk thread because it degrades faster than cotton, but I figure that my stitches are going to be hidden in the piece, on the wall, inside my house and not sitting on top of the piece in the sun. :wink: The quilt police can just keep on walking by! For the darker colors (red, dark green and brown) I'm just using 100% polyester thread that I have left over from my garment sewing days. It is thinner than the 100% cotton thread that I've been using to piece and quilt my quilts.

  5. #515
    Senior Member Obsessed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Probably not where I should be...
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter
    Beautiful, Lara. I am always impressed by good hand stitching. Personally, I get too impatient to sew with a needle and thread. .. or maybe I needed someone to show me the right way. I tried it once...

    I had never done applique of any kind. So of course I set out to make a king size quilt with 5" hand applique squares. A week and 5 squares later, I stitched them into a wall hanging and swore I'd never do handwork again! lol But I am fairly good with machine applique....

    I really need to get this week's blocks done before it turns into next week!

    hugs, Jup
    Thanks Jupiter!

    I just took a look at your blog - you do really beautiful work! I am so impressed! I paint, and what you are doing with fabric totally rivals anything I have done with paint. WOW! Thank you for posting that link, I feel like I know you so much better now!

  6. #516
    Super Member Deecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    3,506
    I checked out your blog also Jupiter - I also say - WOW - great stuff.

    I am a painter also and I wholeheartedly agree with Lara's comment and I appreciate your ability to capture the substance and the essence of a subject in fabrics.

  7. #517
    Super Member Deecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    3,506
    Obsessed - thanks for the info. regarding thread. Next time I'm at the LQS I will check if they stock YLI and have a look at it.

    P.S. What type of painting do you do?

  8. #518
    Junior Member Irene V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed
    Finally! Here is my Advanced Liberty Star... It isn't perfect, but I like it. I finally invested in some tiny needles and fine thread made just for doing applique and it made a world of difference in my stitches. Even though I do a lot of hand sewing (bindings, etc.) without using a thimble, I learned early on that a thimble is an absolute necessity when using those tiny little needles. Ouch!
    Your block is beautiful and looks perfect to me. I had some difficulties with mine as well :)

  9. #519
    Member keelybird57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Posts
    77
    Lara, your block is very pretty! I agree that fine thread and needles help. I'm using YLI Silk thread, too. And I got some short needles for applique that are working well.

    Judy

  10. #520
    Senior Member Jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    in my studio up to my chin in fabric
    Posts
    856
    I use YLI 100 silk for machine applique. It practically disappears, compared to cotton which sits up and says "hi" to everyone it meets! I also use Sulky 40 Rayon when I want the stitching to show up.

Page 52 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2 42 51 52 53 62 102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.