Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 >

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Old 03-11-2011, 06:36 PM

Since we are still in our catch up week, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on my week 1 block. As I mentioned previously, I was disappointed that there was so little contrast in the values between the red and the brown fabrics - they seem to almost blend together. I really liked the colors that I had chosen, but they weren't working. Here are three different options... My original block is on the left in these pictures and the options on the right. I haven't glued anything down yet - so please tell me what you think - or if you have any other ideas I should try. Or if I'm crazy to be worrying about this at all! Thank you!

The light green provides nice contrast, but I think I miss the red.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142082[/ATTACH]

Because I love the idea of the red, I found a lighter spot of the fabric from which to make my foundation block.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142085[/ATTACH]

Not crazy about the orange middle - seems to clash with the amber outer pieces.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]144021[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-142077.jpe   attachment-142080.jpe   attachment-144016.jpe  
Old 03-11-2011, 06:52 PM

The green is growing on me - but I still like the idea of red. I made a collage of all my blocks just to see. What do you think?

Collage with sample green cathedral window.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]144487[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-144482.jpe  
Old 03-11-2011, 08:03 PM

Hi Lara,

I was all set to say I like the second red center. Warmth through out the block..... But when you grouped the green center with the other blocks in the grouping, the green carries the theme through nicely.

At this point I think you are probably "over-thinking" it. Either is better than the original (which was pretty good). Starting Sunday you'll have a new block to begin work on. lol Its all fun!

hugs, Jupiter
Old 03-11-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Obsessed
The green is growing on me - but I still like the idea of red. I made a collage of all my blocks just to see. What do you think?
All of your blocks are beautiful. I actually like your first block in question. I like the way the red seems to melt into the surrounding fabric, seems magical but I tend to like the unusual. I say go with your first choice.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Oh, I'm definitely overthinking it! :mrgreen: That's half the fun - obsessing over the minutiae! After staring at all the pictures for far too long, I think I'm going to make the green centered block and then sit on them until the end. We'll see whether my quilt needs more green or more red at the end and then I'll decide which one to use...
Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 PM

Just read your first question Lara and was about to say - wait and see what you may need when its all done - but I see you have said that yourself.

I think the green and the lighter red have more contrast than the first red, not so keen on the orange, but they are all lovely blocks.

I suppose overthinking it is part of being "Obsessed". :D :D
Old 03-11-2011, 09:03 PM

Lara, the extra blocks would make great throw pillows...

hugs, Jup
Old 03-12-2011, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter
Lara, the extra blocks would make great throw pillows...

hugs, Jup
I'll have only one small left over block - but - I could put it in one of the star settings from the PH book and have a nice sized pillow. That is a great idea! And it will give me a chance to try something that I wouldn't otherwise.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:13 AM

I like the second red (lighter) one. The green does tie in with your others, but I don't think it flows with the darker brown. The other blocks where you have green, have both dark and light shades so they blend. Just my opinion.....that said, ALL of your blocks look great! These blocks all together are going to make a very interesting quilt for everyone.

But you might want to wait and see, maybe you will want a spot of green at some point.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:35 AM

I like the second red also. But I really like the green too it just seems to open up the block, and it goes really well with the others. Either way they are beautiful.