Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 134 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Thread: Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

My daughter (a grown up) really likes daisies and I picked the daisy fabrics thinking that this quilt might be next year's Christmas present. She and hubby have just painted their bedroom a very pale blue.. almost white but just a hint of color. I think the blue fabrics are gentle enough to be restful.

Of course I haven't promised it to her... yet. But she does come by often and always wants to claim "dibs" on whatever I am working on! lol

hugs, Jupiter

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter
    I bought my fabric today. I think I got a good selection.
    The book says 8 half yard cuts would do it.... for 6" blocks.

I am going to make mine 12" blocks. I wrote to Penny about how to enlarge. The templates are easy, just blow them up to 200%. The measurements will take a little more figuring for seam allowances, but I think I have the right idea, so I will share my numbers along the way... as soon as I know they work.

Going from a 6" block to a 12" block is actually 4 times as much material. I bought 9 fabrics at 2 yards each. That is 3 lights, 3 mediums, 2 darks, and 1 stripe. If I have a lot left over, the backing can have it or my stash will grow!

I pre-washed all my fabric and the last load is in the dryer right now. I hope I can wait until January! lol

hugs, Jupiter
    Pretty! I see some fussy-cut daisies in your future! It is going to be really cool to see how different all of our blocks look!

For anyone that hasn't ordered the book yet a brilliant site called The Book Depository is offering at discount - they ship worldwide for FREE

Yay! I received my book today from Amazon. Now to go look at it and decide on my fabric.

The fun begins!

Count me in. Found the book today at Joann's at 40% off. Have read through tonight and it sounds very interesting and challenging. Will watch video tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    I like that it is something totally different for me. I have made blocks and I have appliqued. Never appliqued to make a block.

Welcome to all the new comers! I stopped counting, but we do have a large crew here. I am so glad you are all getting the book and liking what you are seeing. This will be a special place for sure when we all start posting photos every week. I'll bet we get a very large variety of looks just because everyone's fabric choices are different. I can hardly wait!

hugs, Jupiter

I love JoAnn's and their coupons. :D If any of you are not signed up for JoAnn mailings, you really should. They shower you with coupons every month. You can sign up both on the internet for online coupons, and in the store for regular mail out ads with coupons. ... just a suggestion, didn't mean to sound like a spokesman...lol

hugs, Jup

Quote Originally Posted by pjustice63
    Count me in. Found the book today at Joann's at 40% off. Have read through tonight and it sounds very interesting and challenging. Will watch video tomorrow.

There are some video tutes on youtube, search Penny Haren, and a website to download templates. http://www.landauercorp.com/aspx/general/Links.aspx
    It's amazing how simple she makes it look. Gonna be fun for sure.

So, in the book she says to practice making foundation blocks *before* you start cutting your fabric for the project - meaning that we should make our first foundation blocks from scraps from our stash. Is that what you all are planning to do, or are you going to plan out a few of your blocks and make foundation blocks that you will use in your project?

It seems wasteful to make foundation blocks we aren't going to use - the foundation blocks themselves don't seem all that complicated. But then again, it's not like I'm an expert quilter who couldn't use the practice!

What will you do?

Page 9 of 134 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 59 109 ... LastLast