Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

kluedesigns 11-26-2009 10:02 AM

i've made a bunch, either for the swap or for quilt guild, and at first it takes a long time to make 1 block but after you get used to the process it goes much quicker.

now that i'm in a groove i can make a block in under 30 minutes - when i first started it took about an hour or more.

Tiffany 11-26-2009 02:53 PM

Well that isn't bad at all. I've had some blocks take upwards of 8 hours to make. An hour, or two hours a week to make two blocks sounds great to me!

sandpat 11-26-2009 04:14 PM

Tiff, you'll be able to whip them out. I made some for the swaps...they aren't that bad...of course, depending on the block :wink:

Brazen 11-26-2009 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by waquilter
I'm tentatively timidly dipping my pinkie in.

This is me too! I found out about Dear Jane several years ago and quickly found Bonnie's "Quiltville" website as she chronicled her way thru.

It took me two evenings to read thru this whole thread, and looking thru all of the files posted and links shared. Last night Klue shared an ebay seller she trusted and I didn't really think about it and I just ordered the two rulers! LOL

I'm fascinated with Civil War era history, most especially the quilts! :) I love the underground railroad and have THAT started, as well. I hate to not finish that first, because I started it a year ago. I OUGHT to finish it before January, but I just don't know if I'll have the time.

My husband is a combat medic in the Army and he is deploying to Afghanistan in the extremely near future. I already knew I'd be sewing a LOT during the year he's gone... but to think of doing this project, one that is slated to last 18 MONTHS! Craziness! LOL!

Anyway... I'm torn about which way to go, if I TRULY do join in... do I want the book or the software. I actually own EQ5... and never got a handle on using it. So I worry about something as intricate as the DJ quilt! I'd hate to spend $40 and not use it.

Lastly, to end my already too-long post, I would definitely want to use civil war repros and muslin for mine! I'm just worried about my lack of ability. I've made a lot of quilts, but they've all been regular, "normal", patterns. hehe No paper piecing, no applique, etc. Eeeeeek!

Butterflyspain 11-26-2009 11:55 PM

If you already own EQ5 then the DJ software which is stand alone will be a dodle to you. Its very easy to understand and very clever.

I hope you join us.

Elle

sewsewquilter 11-27-2009 04:31 AM

Brazen, I think you will like fine the DJ software easier then the EQ5. It's very user friendly. Plus you will have all of us who have the DJ software to help you. Most of the blocks aren't that hard. They are just small. With some of the blocks hand sewing might be the way to go. I'm not that great at paper piecing either but I bet I will be by the time I get done with the quilt. :-) I also have never appliqued. But Blue Chicken tute has me believing I can do it. :-) The three blocks I am making for the Blue, White and Gold DJ swap I am piecing as I am use to. They are coming out great. Two of the blocks have gone together really quick. The block with the curves in it is taking a little longer but is still easier then I thought it would.

sandpat 11-27-2009 05:19 AM

Brazen, you know you rang the "enablers...come help me" bell! Yes, yes, you should join and your should go with the software. One thing that I really like is that you can resize the blocks...I like the blocks so much that I have already used several in other (non DJ) quilts!

Also, with your husband deploying (I'm giving thanks to you both for your sacrifices..!) you will be looking for something special to do. This could be it, plus you'll have this great group of friends to keep you company..

Have I gone on long enough??? :lol:

Iluv2quilt 11-27-2009 07:37 AM

I don't know if I'll be able to afford the DJ software. There was someone online here that said she could get it for about $35. Does anyone remember who that was? I can't find where it was posted.

chewboo 11-27-2009 08:46 AM

you need to watch jo-anns fabris when they go on sale my sister got mine on line for my christmas present

Butterflyspain 11-27-2009 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Iluv2quilt
I don't know if I'll be able to afford the DJ software. There was someone online here that said she could get it for about $35. Does anyone remember who that was? I can't find where it was posted.

Try Jo-Annes, I got mine there, think it was around that price.

Elle