Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   1 November 2012 BOM block picture's. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/1-november-2012-bom-block-pictures-t204796.html)

mimiknoxtaylor 11-10-2012 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by walk-n-roll (Post 5648372)
I really like the front on view of your turkey on the left, could you please tell me where you found the pattern? I agree with the others about thread choice but I am also a fan of black.

The pattern is by Sindy Rodenmayer at
www.fatcatpatterns.com
I love her patterns & if you go to the home page at fatcatpatterns the turkey pattern is free this month. But I changed it to suit my needs. Her blocks work up at 16 1/2" so I had to reduce it to 70%. Then I didn't want to do each of the tail feathers individually so I redrew the tail as just 3 whole pieces. I think that's the only changes I made.

SulaBug 11-10-2012 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor (Post 5648509)
www.fatcatpatterns.com
I love her patterns & if you go to the home page at fatcatpatterns the turkey pattern is free this month. But I changed it to suit my needs. Her blocks work up at 16 1/2" so I had to reduce it to 70%. Then I didn't want to do each of the tail feathers individually so I redrew the tail as just 3 whole pieces. I think that's the only changes I made.

Mimi..............thank you for sharing the free pattern that you used, with all of us. It is a great one!!
:D :D :D :D

Jenniky 11-11-2012 06:08 AM

Mimiknoxtaylor - I love your turkeys beautiful fabrics. I agree with what Sula suggested for the threads and thank you for the link for the free turkey pattern. I've printed it out to try later. Im very intrigued by the way the feathers are done. :) :) :)

Jeanine 11-11-2012 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got mine done. It was interesting to do. The background is really a bright white. not sure what happened. Yes, the turkey ended up being a little tilted. Didn't want to tear out.

dd 11-11-2012 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanine (Post 5650253)
I got mine done. It was interesting to do. The background is really a bright white. not sure what happened. Yes, the turkey ended up being a little tilted. Didn't want to tear out.

Have ya ever watched a turkey walk? They waddle so he's going to be tilted to one side or the other. He's the cutest one I've seen yet. Love the turkey tracks.

TOOMANYUFO'S 11-11-2012 07:24 PM

Everyone's turkeys are looking great. I'm glad you are enjoying making it.

josykatz 11-11-2012 08:47 PM

Wow everyone's blocks look so fantastic. Thanks for the pattern I've never done an applique but I wish to try it. I guess I'll have to do a search for some advice unless someone knows a good tutorial.

mimiknoxtaylor 11-12-2012 02:55 AM

Jeanine, what a cute turkey! I love his multiple color feathers. Great appliqué too

mimiknoxtaylor 11-12-2012 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by josykatz (Post 5650925)
Wow everyone's blocks look so fantastic. Thanks for the pattern I've never done an applique but I wish to try it. I guess I'll have to do a search for some advice unless someone knows a good tutorial.

The quickest way is to use fusible ( make use to use the light that can be sewn through) then stitch around either with a blanket stitch or even straight stitch.
Hand appliqué takes longer but you get the raw edge hidden. There are some great tutorials here & you'll have to find which method you prefer.
Remember have fun & don't stress over it.
good luck

walk-n-roll 11-12-2012 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor (Post 5648509)
www.fatcatpatterns.com

Thank you so much for your chubby turkey pattern. It also introduced me to a new site. Appreciate your willingness to share