Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

Cre8tvlwyr 03-07-2013 12:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Nancy - they look great to me!! one of the ladies of our guild says done=perfect! so there you have it :)

hope your move and prep goes smoothly and that you can get back to Janey ....are there two of you making 3???

I finished two triangles last night - this week's LS1 and LS11 [wk of Jan13] First, I will show you something my Mom taught me[who I miss dearly and was an absolutely amazing woman and dressmaker] ....

LS1 was not being very cooperative when I tried to attach the top section to the bottom ...the fact the middle piece was missing made it rather wobbly. My Mom taught me to smoothen things out when you layer fabrics for whatever reason you are putting them together - slanted seams in clothing, etc [she wasnt a quilter] and then, when you are happy with the way it lays, baste with long stitches [longer than normal on machine, she usually did this by hand and used two threads in her needle]. Mark the start of each fabric if the edges are not in exactly the same spot. Ease the fabrics apart and carefully clip in between the two fabrics. This leaves a line of thread on both pieces of fabric exactly where you want the seam line to be. I took a few pictures so that you can see what I mean... a good tip for anything you may do requiring exactness that can be frustrating and produce reverse-sewing!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]400345[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]400346[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]400347[/ATTACH]

You will also notice I added 4 pieces to LS1 - on either side of the top two print pieces. To me it looked as though Jane had done this and it was left out of the pattern and both blogs.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]400348[/ATTACH]

And here is LS11 - I found the measurements to be so very straightforward - I cut 4 print 1 1/2" squares and 8 - 1 1/2"background squares for the two squares and for either side of the top square, bottom squares, and two print bars near the top [which 1 cut 1" wide x 1 1/2" tall] - I needed a little more height for that top bar and sides and more width for the background to the sides of the lower single print square. I appliqued the top melon and bottom curvy hill on top - no reverse applique even though it is clear that Jane did use reverse on the bottom piece. I thought it was easier than to reverse right up to the seamline. [I'm just glad to have two more tris under my belt!]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]400353[/ATTACH]
Hope it's all understandable!
Gus

...still have that BRC to tackle - things keep taking longer than expected and life gets in the way as well!! Your BRC looks awesome, Cindy!! I know what you mean about being nervous to get the size right.... I added a couple inches all the way around and traced part of the outline of the piece from the book directly on the fabric wth fabric marker

CindyA 03-07-2013 04:14 PM

Gus, did you trim the kite to size? Or are you leaving that until you are assembling it? I think I understand your tips and especially love the one your mom taught you (using two threads).

QuiltnnNan, all of your blocks are terrific!! Sorry about the move, but I'm sure you'll be glad when it's over. At least you'll get away from those neighbors and hopefully get settled in quickly afterwards and be quilting regularly. We'll miss seeing your blocks, thoughts with you.

memereof8 03-07-2013 06:18 PM

Bring your camera if you go to Bennington, VT to see the Dear Jane quilt. The people in the building let us take pictures. This was a couple of years ago. Have to look for my pictures.

Cre8tvlwyr 03-07-2013 07:15 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Thanks memereof8 [memere = grandma in french?].... my daughter used to call our son mey-mew [his name is William] she was of course very young!!

Cindy - havent finished the corner...procrastinating? actually I leave hand sewing to the evening and will be tackling it shortly - after washing dishes and maybe finding a quick square or tri to at least begin by machine... YAY!!!! here is BR13.... with some construction pics.... another method of course - no PP here and it was extremely quick!!

cut two strips of background and one of print slightly wider than 1 1/8" by 9" long and sew the background to either side of the print. make a small template of section of the diamonds to determine the angle you need to cut four sections of three. Make your first cut and each successive cut a slightly generous 1 1/8" apart [refer to my pics].

match the corners of the print and join the sections with 1/4" seams. uggggg - I lost pics and more writing...I've been hitting the shift key while hitting caps I think....something and a whole section disappears - totally my fault!]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]400418[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]400419[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]400420[/ATTACH]you will see I only show 3 sections but I cut my strips only 7" long - that's why I tell you 9"]

Next cut a piece of print 6 1/2 x 2 5/8" - press [DO NOT IRON!] the diamond section and trim 1/4" from the points on both sides. Look at the picture and add the base print section to one end.

Next, I drew a very basic tracing of the outline of the bottom sections of the book pattern so that I knew how much the sides needed to be trimmed.
Make a template of both top triangle sections of print and cut the pieces adding 1/4" seams all the way around. Attach the larger triangle to the top of your bottom section - making sure you match the center point of your base with the center of the middle background triangle, add 1 1/2" x 7 1/2" strip of background to each side. Straighten the base using the top seam of the print section as a guide. Using a ruler that extends at least as far down as that straight 'top seam line,' trim across 1/4" above the point of the triangle. Add 1" wide strip to each side of the small triangle and add to the very top in the same manner described.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]400424[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]400422[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]400423[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]400425[/ATTACH]

plugging along..... really really want to finish!
Gus

sewNso 03-08-2013 03:57 AM

everyone's blocks are just beautiful. still have that one kite to do. i worked on a couple other quilts yesterday. can't neglect them. was giving 'jane2' a good kick for a while, but needed a break. WITH ONE KITE TO GO. can you believe it. and then the little 3 yr old grdsn needed his granny yest. but the world is good.

Cre8tvlwyr 03-10-2013 11:09 AM

Getting ready to do a little more sewing today... got BRC - first kite done! I will show the pic a little later.
I had finished J1 [2095] and J2 [2008] a few weeks ago. J1 was straight applique and J2 I made slightly differently than the other blogs - measured carefully and cut. You can refer to the post numbers in parentheses if you want to see what I did. I looked at J5, the other block for this week - it is so very similar to A10 -remember?? J5 has no melon in the center square - and the 'arrows' are longer and have a pointier 'base' attached to the center square. A10's arrow bases are very slightly curved, almost flat. J5's arrow bases actually look like points - no curve.

If you do use one of the blogs to make yours, I will suggest not bothering to make those little 'flaps' of background like thatquilt, but simply sew background around the center. The other way is the way it will look finished, but you will need to applique the arrows to the top anyway, so it is an extra step.

Gus
[thought I should write something, since no-one has commented since sewNso did couple days ago :) .... so awesome about your near completion of Jane #2!!!! WOW!]

sewNso 03-10-2013 05:24 PM

yes, been doing other things. still have the one kite to go. cut up a lot of 4.5 in squares yest and today. picked up a quilt from the LA. will prob do the binding on that. still haven't started my FWQ. playing catch up with this and that.

Cre8tvlwyr 03-10-2013 07:32 PM

ok sewNso.... not quite understanding... you cut 4.5" squares?? I thought you were done with DJ with the exception of one kite - are you putting them elsewhere?

procrastinating here.... I did do other necessary things.. like laundry :( bills :( :(
finished F2 and gonna catch up with TR 13 now .... and maybe this week's J5 - I just dont know what fabric I want to use....
Gus

sewNso 03-11-2013 04:50 AM

i cut lots of 4.5 inch blocks for another quilt. i usually have 3 or 4 i am working on. in fact 2 queens will be made out of the 4.5 inch blocks. --2 more of paint me judy's mystry train ride.
then i have enough friendship stars made to make a quilt.
and i have enough houses from a BOM cllub a couple years ago. thx to sulabug
etc, etc. like everyone else. But jane2 grabbed me about a yr ago, and i worked on her real hard.
and the BOM stars quilt from a couple yrs ago, just came back from the LA and needs a binding.
i am retired, so have the time to do whatever i want. soooooo quilting and grdkds is what i do as well as gardening, and canning. and i do the lawn. so try to do lots of sewing in the winter, then during the summer i will work on hand quilting jane2.
what are you other ladies doing besides your jane?

Cre8tvlwyr 03-11-2013 09:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
sewNso - that is a very loaded question!! :shock:
as for sewing.... I have a queen size girls quilt that needs to be quilted for a dear friend's daughter who will be three at the end of the month. It started out as a twin, having to add to it took a bit of time when she was moved into a real big bed!! I have a McKenna Ryan -"Forest Hollow" that I am needle turning, All Around the Town - Sue Garman BOM that I m just now starting ....well have 7 of them done & may put that in Guild show in Sept. The 2009 quiltshow.com quilt needs to be quilted... a real important quilt for my very dear daughter - who has been waiting oh so patiently! I have to still get going on it - designing a quilt with her birds on it. Affairs of the Heart, which I started here before Jane has half the blocks done - 6" blocks [my avatar is one of them]. Then there's taking care of a DGS or two once-twice a week which is a joy! going to docs all too often for DD, thinking about writing a book about the legal and technical aspects of the health care system - sort of a self-help guide. I am an atty - but passed bar right when my DD got sick, my Mom had major heart attack and ended up is skilled nursing and my DS and wife had first of three DGS - so never practiced. Gardening is something I really really need to start as the yard is a mess now and DH works all the time and really doesnt have the time to tackle it all....

well now back to Jane progress.. [maybe this is doable before guild show??? I hope - averaging one a day for the last three weeks! YAY]

Where to begin... [you got me a little off track :) ] First here is a picture of this week's three on the fabric I decided to used for sashing. It looks a little darker than it is. I put three other blocks below it to give a better idea. I am thinking of making the sashing 3/4" finished rather than 1/2" ... still time to decide.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]401160[/ATTACH]
J1 & 2 were done earlier, J5 is almost finished - you can see the pins. I will show you a little of my approach as it is slightly different, but I found very easy! I cut a 2" print square for the center and surrounded it with a 1" cut background strip all the way around - sides then top/bottom. I made a template of the four background pieces and cut them as if those four print 'arrows' were not there. I attached them by machine only to the center 1- 1 1/4" of the sides and I stitched together only the last 1/2" - 3/4" of the diagonals/miters. I made a template of the arrows and as I had said in an earlier post - I decided that Jane made these pointy, not curved. I transferred the pattern with fabric marker both to the print arrows and the background - carefully holding the miter in place. I needle-turned the point on the border strip up to the corner of the center square, tucked the arrow under flat, on a flat surface - I pinned the pieces in place and then continued to needle-turn the arrows in reverse-applique fashion.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]401161[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]401162[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]401163[/ATTACH]