Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

GV09 02-03-2012 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 4938929)
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> GV09, I think that the best way to find out if EQ is available as a download is to go to their website http://www.electricquilt.com/ and ask them. I suspect that there is not a downloadable version. A large user manual comes with the software. I have to say, though, that I rarely use it... the EQ software Help usually tells me all I need to know. Thanks for the link to the silk thread site... the silk is so much better on these tiny pieces :)

ND... your blocks are perfect! glad that you found a way to get them done :)

Hi, Nancy!
Thank you very much!
I wil sen the company an email with my query.
Exactly, I figured that would come with a manual box, but my ignorance of the language … I do not think they use a lot! Hahaha!!!
Someday I hope everything is written in Spanish!
A big hug!

GV09 02-03-2012 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR (Post 4939127)
GV09 I just love reading your posts. You brighten my day with your sweetness. Well everyone here is so kind. <3

Hi, SheriR!
Thank's! You make me get very red! And let my heart very warm and big smile in my face!
A big big hug!

NDQuilts 02-03-2012 05:41 PM

Thanks for the complements on the blocks. I am using freezer paper templates for the majority of the blocks. For the curved ones like the drunkards path, I will use Press and Seal because it is so flexible. I love the tip to use glue. Ill need to get some to add to my sewing kit.

GV09 02-03-2012 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by gls234 (Post 4939575)
I'm trying my best to keep up to date. I have three weeks completed but having a real hard time with B10. I've looked on dearjane.com for tips and also on thatquilt.com. Neither suggestions are helping me. Paper piecing the tiny pieces in the center is a nightmare. Cutting them to size would be even worse.
Any help will be appreciated

Sorry I can not help! Today I cut the pieces of paper and try to sew the weekend that block.
I think we'd better make other blocks and leave that for a few days. It's what works for me when something does not come out!
I hope we can find a solution at all!
A hug!

GV09 02-03-2012 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 4939922)
I have never done a drunkard's path block. So the That Quilt method helped me. However, I didn't like all the pins... got in my way. Where she removed the freezer paper, I left it on. Then pinned just the ends, squaring them with the sides of the inside piece. With the freezer paper still on, this curved the top piece stiffly sticking up. I then used a bead of Elmer's glue along the bottom seam allowance. With the freezer paper on, if you try to pull the two pieces flat as if they are already sewn, that lines the seam up just right. This is how it looks when glued.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]308645[/ATTACH]
This is how it turned out
[ATTACH=CONFIG]308646[/ATTACH]

Hi, Nancy!
I just bought a book called "Piec-lique: Curves the New Way" by Sharon Schamber (sold here: http://www.americanquilter.com/books...il.php?id=6681)
I did not read everything, but in photos she just explained this way of linking the curved pieces.
I just put the book together with my blocks and secure future will prove it!
Thank you very much!
A big hug!

Fraew 02-03-2012 07:43 PM

@QuiltnNan: nice block. I am avoiding pieced curves like the plague and opted to piece a 4 square background and appliqué the circle. Pics on Sunday. Happy quilting!

bpowers64 02-03-2012 09:29 PM

I am just totally confused as how to do this B1 block. I know nothing about freezer paper or how to applique. I need help.

Cre8tvlwyr 02-03-2012 10:57 PM

I have found that the most critical part of sewing any circle or curve that has to fit together is to cut precisely. If the seam allowance on the convex and concave curves match, then your drunkards path or circle will fit perfectly. Virginia Walton sews circles into 'holes' without pinning! or with very few pins. The circle is cut exactly 1/4" wider than the seamline and the piece of fabric with the hole is cut precisely 1/4" smaller than the seamline. When it is clipped it cant be sewn exactly right. It sounds real simple, but it really does work - when I've messed up I can usually find the mistake is in the cutting.

TymeToShine 02-04-2012 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by bpowers64 (Post 4940730)
I am just totally confused as how to do this B1 block. I know nothing about freezer paper or how to applique. I need help.

bpowers, have you checked out the reverse applique instructions on That Quilt? I, like you had never used freezer paper, had never done reverse applique (much less even regular applique!) before and while the instructions looked very hard to me...once I started following them picture by picture it went very well , I enjoyed it , and it even turned out nicely!

bpowers64 02-04-2012 07:50 AM

Thank you, very much. I'll give it a try. I fully intend to do this quilt and learn as much from all of you as I can. This is such an encouraging bunch of people.