Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

Jeanine 03-02-2012 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chay (Post 5024761)
I have a question about re-drafting blocks. I don't have EQ on my computer. Are there any other programs that allow you to draw a block and print out the paper piecing templates? I've looked for tutorials online but have come up blank so far. I want to re-draft A1 and saw how others did it on previous pages in this thread but, as I say, I don't have EQ.

Hi Chay. I don't have EQ either. I used to draw the size I want on a paper, then draw a grid. I'd draw the same grid, for instance, both in quarters (usually more, but this gives the idea). I've gone electronic and now use a copier with the custom size option. I change the size until I get the one I want. I then know what to set it at for all future blocks.
Hope this helps,
Jeanine

jillaine 03-02-2012 05:58 PM

I am GREEN with envy at how beautiful all your blocks are.
I'm also envious because I've become quite busy with my day job and haven't had much time to do any quilting.

DottyD 03-03-2012 04:42 AM

Hi all,
My DH has kindly updated my design wall for me and I have added my latest blocks. I have prepped B12 and B8 to hand sew when we go on our holiday - so therefore not done yet. So I am nearly up to date. I have been doing my Christmas Baby Jane since 2007, and have quite a few blocks done. These are the easier ones and so following this "party" is making me do the ones I missed out --- it is the push I needed !!!!
My design wall was initially by Sharon Mastbrook and for some reason it has been removed from the net. Hopefully will try and find out another way to do it.
Hope to get at least onr tri today.Regards from a sunny England, UK
DottyD.
http://www.dotsbjwall.talktalk.net/

http://www.dotsbjwall.talktalk.net/

QuiltnNan 03-03-2012 05:34 AM

Dottyb, you are really making progress. Your blocks are wonderful. [Envious here that you have the design wall :)]

Cre8tvlwyr 03-03-2012 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK -a day early???? I thought I would go ahead and post A11 which is one of our blocks for next week. I had previously posted A7 and A9 on post #606. I elected to go ahead and make the "Y-seams" in A11 and followed the layout given in thatquilt.com. I used the sizes on the outer single pieces to precut my fabrics, but I didn't 'sew in' the paper. I wish I had traced the book pattern onto crayola paper because the copy paper I used when printing out foundation pattern from the DJ software was just too stiff. I know there is still some paper left in the seams :( I readjusted the foundation layout so that it matched the thatquilt layout.

A word of warning for those deciding on the Y-seams. when you sew the three small inner corner squares together take care to stop at the quarter inch seam so that it is easier to maneuver your larger square and match up fabric edges without getting smaller pieces caught. If you look really closely at the picture, you will see two of the corners are slightly wonky where the large square meets the small one.

If you want to avoid the Y-seam for this block - which is totally doable - follow the instructions laid out by me and Nancy & Katybob starting on post #523.

I't really funny the things you notice "after" you post something.... I will be making that upper left corner better by hand. It is actually not stitched down yet. After 'unsewing' a few times because I was catching a fold of the large square fabric, I decided to stitch it down by hand - but forgot to do so. As I looked at the block I didn't notice it, but the camera sure picked it up!!

I also intended to have all those little black things go the same direction :( Well, I guess since I was at least consistent with the corners and with the whole center section I will leave it alone?

spartan quilter 03-03-2012 07:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, it is only 3 hours from being Sunday, and since I just got the pictures onto the computer, I figure that I had better post them, before I forget how. I am so enjoying all the beautiful blocks that are being shown, and so far, I have been able to keep up, but am afraid that I may slip behind, because I am doing QAYG, and by hand, which is time consuming for me, because I have NEVER hand quilted before. But, I am having fun with it, and can already see improvements on my stitches. I love that I can finally do some hand sewing and watch a little TV at the same time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]317133[/ATTACH]
I didn't have a single plaid in my house, so I went with stripes, and really like the look of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]317134[/ATTACH]
This is not the best, but it looks close, so am happy with it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]317135[/ATTACH]
This one really has a wonky look to it, but I decided that wonky is good. And I figure once they all come together, there will be competition for wonky, and I want all of them to have a fighting chance. lol

Fraew 03-03-2012 09:06 PM

@ Spartan: I like your colors and yes LOL at your wonky comment. This is really the best group ever! :)

I haven't started the blocks yet either. I have been consumed with UFO fever.

QuiltnNan 03-04-2012 03:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is all I have so far. I've been spending a lot of time this week learning paper piecing. So here are the pp'd ones including the one where I got the colors wrong.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]317159[/ATTACH]

katybob 03-04-2012 09:16 AM

DJ Blocks - Week 8

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my Week 8 blocks. I didn't notice til I took the picture that my original A-11 doesn't have a border. Apparently I used the variation that was on the CD. I like the new one better.

SpartanQuilter, this will be my first handstitching, too. Your's is beautiful and I love your bright colors. I'm waiting til I can put a few blocks together before I start so I can stitch some of the sashing, batting, and back at the same time.

QuiltnNan, you're already a pro at paperpiecing. Have you caught the pp bug?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]317189[/ATTACH]

Cre8tvlwyr 03-04-2012 09:27 AM

Nancy - your paper piecing is perfect!! ...what time did you go to sleep this morning?? a 3:47am post - blocks are awesome!
yours too - Spartan - I really like the looks of the stripe. I'm hoping to start QAYG sometime soon. It would being 'done' come a lot sooner :) You will not 'slip behind because you will always be ahead!! looking at your A9, I would add a strip of light to the top so you don't lose the points - pinch them in just a little bit [the left corner point at the seamline and the top middle point] it looks like you have enough seam at the bottom so you can adjust it by taking more from the bottom when you put it all together. I shift things around a bit myself too.

There's a real pretty sheen on the stitches - what kind of thread are you using??