Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

janey39quilts 01-14-2012 02:08 PM

Im using tracing paper cut down to copy paper size. It will go through the printer if I have a lot of paper loaded. When it gets low, the tracing paper will not go through. It works so much better for me than copy paper, which is thicker and harder to remove.

rwquilts 01-14-2012 04:48 PM

I use what I have on hand...I've used regular cheap copy paper, the newsprint pad paper, official paper piece paper and tracing paper. They all work, although the tracing paper came apart at the seams even before I was ready for it to. LOL!

Janet My 01-14-2012 06:14 PM

Thanks for you input about the paper. I used regular foundation papers... $14.99 a package. As I said.. it worked beautifully the 1st set of blocks... some problems with the 2nd set, but the 3rd was the killer. Must have wasted 7 sheets of that paper till I got 4 pages that were the same. I had to print them one at a time. (Caution when you do this... my book never moved in the printer but each time I copied... 3 of them came out different.. so be sure to check them all against each other. )

I do have Carol Doak's foundation paper.... maybe I'll open that package for the next block. If that jams up, I'm going to use regular copy paper. I have a ton of that... I bring scrap pages home from work by the box full.

I have to laugh... "With computers we will be a paperless society." Yeah Right... I think we use more paper now than we ever did. I have to print reports every day.... Each report spits out 6 pages of useless information sheets. These are the pages I bring home and use to print out bill receipts on. So.. looks like I'll be using that for my paper piecing from now on if the Carol Doak paper jams up in my printer too.

tomilu 01-14-2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by PokerDiva (Post 4873510)
Everyone ready for tomorrows reveal? Color, color, color, yes I too think that is the hardest part but no ripping for me because of color. I am living with whatever it turns out to be. Everyone's blocks are just wonderful.

I'm ready to see all the beautiful blocks. I still have to take a pic of mine. Haven't even looked at fabrics for Arkansas yet. Managed to get a top ready for the longarm while at Quilts of Valor meeting today. It's one of those jelly roll quilts. Goes together well.

TOOMANYUFO'S 01-14-2012 08:57 PM

About how long is it taking to paper piece each block. I don't paper piece often and I am very slow at it. I have worked 4 to 5 hrs before trying to complete blocks. I watched Carol D. CDROM and it helped me a little. I've had the book for a couple of years, but seem to hate pp. I may try 1 block and see how it goes.

iwillquilt 01-15-2012 04:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It is early Sunday morning in Mid-Missouri. Here is my Arizona block.

wvhill22 01-15-2012 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by TOOMANYUFO'S (Post 4875595)
About how long is it taking to paper piece each block. I don't paper piece often and I am very slow at it. I have worked 4 to 5 hrs before trying to complete blocks. I watched Carol D. CDROM and it helped me a little. I've had the book for a couple of years, but seem to hate pp. I may try 1 block and see how it goes.

You can put one together in an afternoon...The part I don't like is picking out the fabric..It takes me forever and sometimes I just have to leave and come back to it..Mine is going to be VERY scrappy..Once I finally decide on something it's smooth sailing from there.

wvhill22 01-15-2012 04:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Arizona..could of had a little more contrast.

iwillquilt 01-15-2012 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by TOOMANYUFO'S (Post 4875595)

It is time consuming. But not hard. I am new to it and I am also slow. But speed is not important to me at this point. It is fun and the blocks come out so perfect and neat. I am having a blast with this.

tomilu 01-15-2012 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by iwillquilt (Post 4875865)
It is early Sunday morning in Mid-Missouri. Here is my Arizona block.

Very nice!!!! Don't you love that bit of yellow!