Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

goldendog55 02-12-2012 04:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finished 2 stars this week. I am alternating black and white backgrounds to form a checkerboard.

tomilu 02-13-2012 06:12 AM

[QUOTE=Mad Mimm;4969285]Okay so pulling up the rear, otherwise known as "Better Late Than Never" I reveal my Arizona block: QUOTE]

Love the orange pop in your block. Great going!!

Tomorrow is the start of our guild spring retreat. Hopefully, I can get caught up and perhaps even ahead on my stars.
Winter is here with snow and a blowing wind; not a nice day to be outside.

Mad Mimm 02-13-2012 06:55 AM

Thanks Tomilu, I like the way that orange came out too, they remind me of little candle flames.

I have a general question for you ladies...how do you photograph your blocks (in what kind of light and what settings on your camera?) We are playing with how we photograph mine and I have experimented with Ottlite, natural daylight, flash settings on the camera. Still trying to figure out how to get the best, most true color for a photo. So far, Ottlite is the best. I noticed my hubby keeps cropping my blocks so they look so perfect at the edges - they are not perfect, just FYI!

Judy your blocks are lovely - that last one really has some zip - great choice on colors for that second one!

whitepine 02-13-2012 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 4969301)
oh my goodness- you know what? i am seriously thinking i need to start at the beginning again with a whole new color palate----i love the red & whites! but then i love the 30's ones- and the batik ones----oh my goodness- i could spend the rest of my life making these stars in the colors all of you have come up with !!! guess i had better just stick with what i'm doing----but then again.....oh my goodness!

I have had those same thoughts. :) It is so much fun seeing what other people are coming up with.

whitepine 02-13-2012 07:33 AM

RE: camera settings. I don't have an ott light, natural daylight makes my pale yellows and creams look white, flash seems to distort colors even more. What I have ended up with....on my kitchen floor with the white balance set one notch toward the dark. But I'm still experimenting too and wonder what others are doing.

paintmejudy 02-13-2012 10:19 AM

thank you both for your comments and encouragement, I appreciate it. Just have to keep going forward! Can always change out the few green stars that I have already made.

Originally Posted by whitepine (Post 4968916)
Paintmejudy, I love your green background color and I agree with Pokerdiva that in the end it will really come together. I am sticking with one background too, but I had thought about two different backgrounds and alternating them, checkerboard style.

MonaLisa, love your Connecticut colors and what neat background fabrics.

Moonwork, great fussy cutting on Colorado. You're setting the bar awfully high. :thumbup:

Ckcowl, definitely starry night. Beautiful.

Janey, :)

wvhill22 02-13-2012 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my Connecticut!

tomilu 02-13-2012 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by wvhill22 (Post 4971772)
Here is my Connecticut!

Pretty block!!!

Janet My 02-13-2012 04:42 PM

WOW... these blocks are amazing. Great Job Everyone. I really can't say I like one more than another. They are all BEAUTIFUL! OK, back to the machine to crank out another one.

Mad Mimm 02-13-2012 04:53 PM

Thanks Whitepine! I am going to keep fiddling because the colors look so much more vibrant in real life (could also be my monitor settings I guess).

KGreene your block was also very pretty - that purple-y color sings against the other colors you chose. CK I am liking what you did with Connecticut too. I can't wait to catch up to y'all! :D