Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/affairs-heart-cyber-sew-2011-a-t95413.html)

Lacelady 02-11-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky
My goal is to do it all by hand. I've wanted to learn needle turn for a long time.

Well, now is the time to have a go, as long as you can make sense of the pics. I wouldn't mind betting there are some videos on Youtube too, though I haven't looked.

I think you may find it awkward to start with, but once you have done a few leaves (melons) then a heart won't seem so difficult.

sandpat 02-11-2011 04:50 PM

Thanks loads Lesley! How on earth did you manage to take the pics with only 1 hand?? Great job on them...they are almost all in focus :thumbup: I need to make notes as I go with my questions because by the time I get to the end...I've forgotten the question :oops:...oh...I know...so you don't do any basting of the piece prior to doing the needle turn or do you Elmers glue it in place?

Linda...your colors sound luscious! Elle, I'm so happy you found some goodies...sorry the thread didn't look right though. Ducks...denim....now that just sounds like FUN!

Ducky 02-11-2011 07:12 PM

Patti, you really think the denim look would be okay? Doesn't seem hokey? Seems I have always waddled to a different drummer, and I wanted something different than the black. There are some light weight denim-looking fabrics, and I thought it would be a neat juxtaposition: the elegance of that applique and the casualness of the denim. I'm going to practice with the needle turn method from Lesley's pictures.

wilhelmina 02-11-2011 07:20 PM

Ducky, I think denim would be fun! There are certainly alot of denim quilts around that are from all sorts of patterns that are wonderful. :D I vote you go for it! It will be darling with all the hearts and the red will be a natural with the demin!

QuiltswithConvicts 02-11-2011 07:46 PM

Lesley, Thank you so much for the tute!!! I tried needleturn - once. Went right back to my freezer paper, but still prefer the machine for applique. I felt like I had 2 left hands and both were worthless!

When I actually get something going, I'll put up my method for machine applique.

I am still trying to get my plate cleared so I can devote all my efforts to AOTH. I have a workshop to give in Texas weekend after next and another one here on the 3rd Saturday in March. Both are paper pieced techniques. The Texas one is the same one I did here in September. The March one is on the Log Cabin. Since I can't do anything simply, we are going to do an off-center (or uneven) log cabin. These ladies have been quilting for years so they need some stimulation to work outside their comfort zones. It's like for the paper piecing workshop, I could have done a nice sweet, easy little block, but I did a Mariner's Compass & they all did GREAT!!! Just needed someone prodding them along and being right there to answer their questions!

The Booze quilt is finished & the quilt for our neighbor is getting quilted, gradually. I hope to finish it this weekend. Pics will follow. Once the workshop materials are all set, I can then concentrate on AOTH. Oh, my new lightbox didn't arrive today, either. So much for a birthday present.

DH is taking me for Chinese for lunch tomorrow & then I'm going to the LQS. Need to get the stuff for the log cabin workshop. I have a room full of fabric & still need to get fabric for this project! Saw a loverly color combo last night at quilt club that I'm thinking needs to be for the log cabin - a light goldy beige, plums & a very pretty avacado green color. Will look for that.

luvmortherest 02-11-2011 08:06 PM

wonderful tutes

SewExtremeSeams 02-11-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
...Both are paper pieced techniques. ....The March one is on the Log Cabin. Since

I can't do anything simply, we are going to do an off-center (or uneven) log cabin.

First of all, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHY!!!

Your post got my attention: paper piecing, log cabins... two favorite things I love... and, I just recently saw my first off-center log cabin and thought... mmm, I could use more of my scrap strips for that plus it would really free me up.

Just this morning I printed out 9-3" pineapple blocks to make a doll quilt for this board's February Doll Quilt Swap. Course, I am going to try to put my own spin on it. Makes me wonder if I will want to do that for the AOTH quilt... I think you said thinking outside the box: I live there!!! lol, lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lacelady 02-11-2011 11:38 PM

Here's wishing you a very Happy Birthday Kathy. I'm sorry your light box didn't arrive in time, but at least its on its way.

I am so pleased some of you think my pics will help you try a needleturn version of AOTH. Re basting, I did bast all my snowflakes in my avatar, (which took almost as long as needleturning them), but I wouldn't with the small pieces in AOTH.

I use a pin (put in from the back to stop your thread from catching on it). I have on occasion used two or three drops of Elmers school glue to baste instead of a pin, but it really is only two or thee drops, because I still feel strongly that everything should be trimmed away from the back as much as possible.

I think it was the second block I made that would have had 7 layers of fabric on it in the middle if I hadn't trimmed from the back. Can you imagine how stiff that would be if you had used fusible to stick all the layers, without just using it just round the edges?

Butterflyspain 02-12-2011 12:30 AM

Hi there Lesley, First of all so sorry I mjumped in when you were posting, I honestly thought you had stopped, didīt expect such a long and amazing tute. Thanks for that, I have long wondered how to get such perfect points. going to try that out

Kathy hope you have your light box very soon. I was looking at a foldable table one you can take around to your classes which has a drop down piece for your machine and also you can have a light box in it. Worked out at around 249$ PLUS p&p AT 49$, it would be ideal for the house as I could fold it down when not in use (which I have to admit is nearly never, but there are times when I have visitors.)

Got to go ladies, hair appointment today.
Elle

Lacelady 02-12-2011 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Hi there Lesley, First of all so sorry I mjumped in when you were posting, I honestly thought you had stopped, didīt expect such a long and amazing tute. Thanks for that, I have long wondered how to get such perfect points. going to try that out

Kathy hope you have your light box very soon. I was looking at a foldable table one you can take around to your classes which has a drop down piece for your machine and also you can have a light box in it. Worked out at around 249$ PLUS p&p AT 49$, it would be ideal for the house as I could fold it down when not in use (which I have to admit is nearly never, but there are times when I have visitors.)

Got to go ladies, hair appointment today.
Elle

No problem Elle, some of them took forever to load last night. Was it the SewEzi table you were looking at, because I have one and it's great. It's lightweight, comes with a cary bag, but has two wheels on it so that it can be pulled along, but it's really sturdy with a machine in it (no jumping around), and I now have three different plexiglass surrounds for different machines to go in it.