Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter "Easy Street" thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/bonnie-hunter-easy-street-thread-t206174.html)

urgodschild2 12-10-2012 05:31 PM

Wow I hope this is what we will have to do. This is so pretty.

HouseDragon 12-11-2012 06:00 PM

Well, let's see ......

Our DD, SIL, and four Grandkiddies visited. Friends from Luxembourg visited. My computer crashed and burned and spent over 30 days at the computer doctor's. My Sweet Sapphire 875Q had to go in for its annual servicing. There was absolutely no grey in my stash and none that appealed to me in any of our three fabric shops: ordered three choices from Hancock's of Paducah. There were three black on whites in my stash: found more locally.

OTOH, there were kaboodles of the three colours in my huge stash of FQs. I'm washing the aquas & teals, the apple & acid greens, and the purples as I type. By colour and with two Colour Catchers in each batch. I'll post photos of my fabric choices later.

This will be my first Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt. There will be lots of catching up to do, but I love Bonnie's quilts and I'm determined to be caught up with all the clues by January 1st. :)

If not before!
:D

urgodschild2 12-11-2012 07:55 PM

I finished sewing Step 3 together. Yeah. I just have to trim and I have caught up. Yeah HOOOOOOOOO.

Xtgirl 12-11-2012 08:37 PM

Wow, I really stink at the flying geese. Anyone have any advice as to how to make them look good? My black and white triangles tend to be crooked. I sewed two of those and did one of step 3 which went together much easier than step 2...apparently I hate triangles and they hate me...don't tell anyone but I've never sewn triangles before:(

SheriR 12-11-2012 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished step three too!! And all my Friendship Boom blocks! It feels so good!!

JeanieG 12-11-2012 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Xtgirl (Post 5714609)
Wow, I really stink at the flying geese. Anyone have any advice as to how to make them look good? My black and white triangles tend to be crooked. I sewed two of those and did one of step 3 which went together much easier than step 2...apparently I hate triangles and they hate me...don't tell anyone but I've never sewn triangles before:(

Don't be so hard on yourself Xtgirl. If these are the first triangles you have sewn, that is probably the reason. Just go slow and line them up. By the time you finish, you will be a pro. They will get easier, I promise!!!

gardnergal970 12-12-2012 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Xtgirl (Post 5714609)

I've found they aren't easy also but they do get better. Bonnie's tip on pressing only the seam with the tip of the iron has really helped me and I run my finger down the seam to open it before I do that. No pulling on the triangles at any time and the geese behave better too. It's a learning curve that every quilter goes through, just don't throw in the towel. It's worth having that skill in your bag of quilting tricks.

gardnergal970 12-12-2012 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]381839[/ATTACH] Steps 1 - 3 completed. I'll be traveling this weekend without my sewing machine so will tackle step 4 next week after I get home.

candi 12-12-2012 01:54 PM

Very pretty garden gal and Sheri!

Xtgirl, Which method are you using to make your flying geese? I will tell you that I HATE flying geese..I actually nickname them flying vultures because I love geese lol. That being said, I used Bonnie's method for the first time and they went together so smoothly. Also, remember you are using the bias, so press very carefully, don't use steam and just use the tip of the iron. And finally, it does get easier. If this is your first time making triangles, you will only get better as you go along, don't get discouraged, just line up the points and sew slowly without tugging and stretching the triangles..by the time you finish this quilt, you will be ready to play with triangles:)

candi 12-12-2012 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo pf my progress. Steps 2 and 3 are all completed. And I decided to wait on step 1 until after reveal time to help with color selection since we are all done with grey.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]381853[/ATTACH]