Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-block-party-january-2012-a-t162737.html)

thimblegeek 12-29-2011 02:39 PM

These are all really good tips, but I go one step further. After pressing the block flat, I spray lightly with starch, leave the DJ ruler on the block, then place a heavy weight on the ruler for a few minutes. They don't dare be anything BUT flat after that!

Veronica 12-29-2011 04:07 PM

3 per week sounds good, I'm in.

CindyA 12-30-2011 05:48 AM

2nd block

1 Attachment(s)
My second block. I just realized I should start labeling the block itself because this block looks a lot like A-6! This one is B-13 Four Corner Press.

CindyA 12-30-2011 05:55 AM

3rd Block

1 Attachment(s)
A-1 Pinwheel Gone Awry. This DID go awry for me. :) This is my second attempt. I think I left my book at work and can't get it until next week. (I took it in to show a co-worker.) At least I HOPE I left it at work. Anyway, that's why I'm doing the blocks out of order. I'm doing the ones I can look at and draft without having the book in my hands. So my first attempt at this block I forgot to add the seam allowances so the block came out a full inch smaller than it should. What was I thinking, these pieces are small enough as it is!

This isn't perfect, you can see that the points will be cut off on at least one of those corner blocks when I add the sashing. Maybe not, but I'd rather cut of a point than have the seam come apart later on.

Well, I got three done within a week but am getting nervous that once I'm back at work I'll quickly fall behind. We shall see . . .

Fraew 12-30-2011 06:19 AM

Nice work CindyA...submitting your homework super early and all...making the rest of us look bad! ;)

I'm so excited, I can barely stand it. I would love to see what colors everyone has chosen to use. Maybe snap a pic of your stashes and post? I am planning pinks, chocolates and creams. Pic to follow.

jacquie 12-30-2011 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
lol...cindy! looks like we're starting together!!
i made one (a1) before christmas and 'qayg', then made 2 more this morning... (a6 & b13)

sandpat 12-30-2011 06:42 AM

Great looking blocks ya'll

jacquie 12-30-2011 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i managed to stay in my sewing room for another hour, and completed one of the first 'pp' blocks on our list too...
here's 'b4'...
quite a nice one to do! i enjoyed it!!

Cre8tvlwyr 12-30-2011 09:17 AM

someone made a suggestion a while back to cut the edge pieces larger so that you are always sure you end up with a large enough block. The problem with this is - to cut only the edge sides longer because the triangle pieces still need to line up properly with adjoining block pieces. It is possible to cut backgrounds for applique blocks larger and then cut down, but pieced blocks become a little tricky [I dont want to confuse anyone... just thought of this when looking at points going to edges]

One suggestion I have when cutting and sewing especially pieces that will become points. To come up with a 1/4" seam allowance, I always lay down the 1/4" mark on my ruler a smidge past the sewing line [so I barely see it] and then make the cut with my rotary cutter. This gives me an extra few threads when I sew so that I am positive I have a full 1/4" allowance.

SuzieQ - I could swear you were on my list!! there are other Suzies but I know I have seen you a few times... I added you, Veronica, and thimblegeek :)

Gus

urgodschild2 12-30-2011 10:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
ok here is my A6 and A8 blocks. I also have done most of the first row. I am using up all my kitty cat fabric. It actually is fun and whimsical.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]298861[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]298865[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]298866[/ATTACH]