Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 29 Minnesota & Maud's Album Quilt Photo Page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-quilt-along-wk-29-minnesota-mauds-album-quilt-photo-page-t195663.html)

oksewglad 09-16-2012 12:42 PM

I am not a big follower of "designers" either Jeanie, and only buy what I really like. But after a while I got to noticing certain fabrics I liked and lo and behold they were by a certain designers. Designers seem to have "signature" tendencies when they produce fabrics.

carriem 09-16-2012 01:15 PM

I am not a big "follower" of just one designer either. Like OK I just sometimes tend to like stuff made by the same person. The lady who pointed out the non-KT fabrics didn't really care...since she sews the quilts for the designer she *knows* whats what. :)

dublb 09-17-2012 10:32 PM

Carrie what a wonderful block. Your friend was so funny w/her comment. LOL I'm still laughin'.

QuiltE 10-14-2012 06:57 AM

And more thought provoking discussions since I was last by this way.

It takes me back to thinking ... the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Yes, we have an easier life in some ways ... though with all the modern conveniences we have added on extra work to be done and the press of doing it sometimes takes away the easier life ... and the desire to return to the simpler life. Simpler? all the hard work, physical toil, meagre subsistence ..... and then we look at today. More of the same, just different!

I was smiling at the blue jean discussion .... Raised on the farm, we never had jeans ... we wore our old clothes and just kept moving them down levels from Sunday best, then not, then to school, then only around home, then to the barn etc. Dad had denim overalls, but never us!

I bought my first pair pf biue jeans after I started working, when the 70s style was with the buttons for the fly front. My Mom was appalled that I had spent good money on them and that I was wearing them away from home!!! For school, it was always dresses, and in my final year of high school, the school finally allowed slacks to school, but they had to be dressed up pant suits! And now ... guess what, I just realized recently I haven;t had a pair of blue jeans in over eight years! Coloured denims and black cottons, but no blue jean denims in my closet at all! :) How times change ... and change! :)

Dad always wore a suit when he left the farm! He'd have his Sunday best one for "good", but then when a new suit was bought the old became the one he'd wear to town. In the summer, with a sports shirt open at the neck.

Mom always wore dresses for years, then gradually started wearing pants around home and away, as she felt it was appropriate. Definitely, NEVER pants to church, weddings or funerals!

I'm so happy for all of you to have families now ... close and extended.
ENJOY them all you can ... and yup, Grands, look the other way and let the kids to the rearing, and you do your job of spoiling the Grands!! :)

grannyQ 10-26-2012 01:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This has really been interesting to read, like a lot of you, our kids had chore to do. I didn't work away from home then, but I did a lot of the field work, while my DH worked in town. At that time we did a lot of cultivating corn and beans and I did the just a lot of everything on the farm. The boys and I would bale hay because it was always ready to bale late in the afternoon after DH went to work. Also had a lot of sheep to raise and some cattle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]372560[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]372563[/ATTACH]

I'm glad that I made the Maude block, one of my grandmothers name.

gardnergal970 10-26-2012 01:07 PM

Oh grannyQ, it's so good to see your blocks and hear from you. Sounds like you were the cog that kept all of the wheels of the farm going. Did you have a large flock of sheep? We're your kids in 4-H? I love your blocks.

oksewglad 10-26-2012 02:22 PM

Oh so nice to see your lovely blue blocks!

dublb 10-29-2012 08:43 AM

...And another fabulous blue block from granny Q.
...And anotherm
attempt ta git ya ta join the bonus block swap. :)

QuiltE 10-31-2012 07:24 AM

*singing the blues*
And do I see some pink has crept into the mix?
(or just the way the photo made it look?)

QuiltE 02-07-2013 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pair to add to my collection ... now 52!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]393826[/ATTACH]