Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along wk 45 Western Star & Village School House Photo Page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-quilt-along-wk-45-western-star-village-school-house-photo-page-t205902.html)

Anael 01-25-2015 11:25 AM

WOW.............I'm speechless ! ! ! ! ! Wonderful blocks W4Me ! ! The cross stitch centre block is outstanding ! !

works4me 01-25-2015 01:14 PM

QuiltE - Thank you for the encouragement and nudging . Yes, the pale sage Aida has a little bit of shimmer to it. It made stitching a bit more difficult but I think it was worth it. I chose the cross stitch pattern because it would bring the yellow/orange blocks into the quilt instead of them seeming to stand out. That and it was Poe and a Nevermore quote. How could I resist?

JanRN - Thank you. That cross stitch took a long time. :) I'm glad you've enjoyed the journey with me. I feel like I have not been alone even though I am the only one doing blocks at the moment.

Anael - Thank you. I'm happy that the centre turned out exactly how I planned/hoped. I didn't do the edging around the main stitching as on the pattern so I could have a centre exactly the same size as my blocks. So, of course, I had to test my sashing and cornerstones.

All the blocks are on my design wall in order. Well, in their current order. I've already changed a couple of blocks around. The yellow was screaming at me so I adjusted. Wonder how many more adjustments there will be. I think I'll finish the last two blocks before playing again as I'm sure those two blocks will make quite a difference.

QuiltingNinaSue 01-25-2015 02:02 PM

A very good finish, Work4me. Love the cross stitch that will be in the middle and your pumpkin star. Very unique quilt, love to see the whole thing when you finish.

mirabelle 01-25-2015 02:27 PM

Can't wait to see your finished quilt W4me, it is going to be stunning

oksewglad 01-25-2015 03:03 PM

When learning to create art one uses design elements (line, shape, color, texture, space) and art principles (rhthym, proportion, emphasis, balance) to create unity. The Poe cross stitch is your focal point that unifies all the points to create a beautiful piece of art. Anxious to see it all put together.

QuiltE 01-25-2015 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by works4me (Post 7063417)
QuiltE - Thank you for the encouragement and nudging . Yes, the pale sage Aida has a little bit of shimmer to it. It made stitching a bit more difficult but I think it was worth it. I chose the cross stitch pattern because it would bring the yellow/orange blocks into the quilt instead of them seeming to stand out. That and it was Poe and a Nevermore quote. How could I resist?.......

It's been all yours ... I had nothing to do with it. Remember? You kind of shocked me when you started as you had been quite adamant that it would never happen!! :) The shimmer will blend nicely with the sage. And all, will make for a very unique-Works4Me-touch to this wild pony! :)

OKSGlad ... what a good less on in colour and design theory. I've signed up for a one day colour theory course at an LQS in March. Wonder, how much of what you have just "taught" is will be part of that course? Bet only a small portion!

oksewglad 01-25-2015 11:39 PM

QE you will enjoy your color class.....there's so much to learn, but at the same time so much you already know. I really enjoyed helping 4-H'ers learn about the DE and AP when I was leader.

QuiltE 01-26-2015 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 7064077)
QE you will enjoy your color class.....there's so much to learn, but at the same time so much you already know. I really enjoyed helping 4-H'ers learn about the DE and AP when I was leader.

Thanks OKSGlad ... I am looking forward to it (not til March). I talked to the teacher, and liked the way she talked on the phone, so am hoping for a practical hands on course. I learn better that way, rather than lecture and reading notes! :) We are supposed to take FQs to work with that will be mixed and matched with others that come, as well as going into the store to find coordinates according to what we are taught. I just need to think of what sort of a project I want to build towards a workable combo. That just does not fit with my UFO mission!!!! :D

JeanieG 01-26-2015 11:07 AM

Hi everyone - so happy to hear from all our friends again in one place! I've missed you all together in one place so much!

Work4me - great job on finishing up all your blocks. I've enjoyed seeing them again! I can't wait to see them all together - I know it will be an amazing quilt!

works4me 01-26-2015 01:33 PM

Thanks QuiltingNinaSue: I plan to start on sashing in February. Uh, wait a minute, that's this weekend!

Thanks mirabelle. There certainly won't be another one like it. :) And I will have oodles of Halloween batiks left over for something else.

oksewglad - thanks. The cross stitch was going to be my label. I quickly realized it tied everything together so nicely, including the name of the quilt.

QuiltE - Once I saw the sage fabric and realized there might be some other Halloween batiks out there, I gave up saying never and dove in. And that is why the quilt is called Never Say Nevermore. :)