Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

janRN 12-26-2014 02:47 PM

Had a nice day after Christmas. Finally got to do some sewing--it's been over a week and I think I was having withdrawal symptoms LOL. Anne, I also got a paninni maker--used it today for ham sandwiches. Love it already. My son was here a few months ago and saw me looking at one on-line; I'm surprised he remembered and got it for me.

QNS, our New Year's Day dinner is always pork & sauerkraut with mashed potatoes. Supposed to bring good luck for the coming year. I also place some nickels & dimes outside on the porch on New Year's Eve--supposed to bring good fortune. I'm so blessed that I'm afraid to skip any of these rituals or superstitions. Do any of you have any superstitions related to New Year's? I love old folk tales and lore--love to read about how they originated.

Anne, very pretty tree! Ours is an artificial green that's starting to look like Charley Brown's tree. We usually take it down the Sunday after New Year's. Jeanie, 3 jackets? Hmm, maybe exchange them for something you do need. Sounds like you had a great day.

Honchey 12-26-2014 03:42 PM

My Mom always told me never do something you don't like to do on New Year's Day because you'll be doing it all year long...Never eat anything winged before eating something else first otherwise all your money will fly away for the year...We always had a pork dish to eat on New Year's Day...

My tree used to stay up for 2 weeks after Christmas when I was a lot younger but now that I'm older & wiser it comes down a day after New Year's Day..It is also an artificial tree.. very sparsely decorated.. the "kid's got bored & tired and left most of the decorations in the box...and that's where they stayed....

oksewglad 12-26-2014 08:18 PM

We enjoyed oyster stew and farm raised turkey today at N and N's. Had Christmas Day leftovers for supper tonight. Way too many sweets! DD likes to make the best candies. House will become quiet tomorrow and life returns to normal. Boys are finishing up a new version Monopoly game....no money..debit cards swiped and read with a handheld device. Colored plastic game pieces...a jet,Scotty dog, a race car and headphones. Gone are the thimble, cannon, iron, and cash.....
Tree went up Monday decorated by kids. I picked out red and white ornaments to be used. Like yours Honchey, they tuckered out, but I finished putting the ornaments on...it would have been a very bare tree otherwise. I usually leave it up a couple of weeks, too. I think what I'm going to do this year is eliminate some of the decorations that were not used before I put the tree away. I didn't use half the stuff I usually put out....Is this a sure sign of aging? I had several broken old glass ones over the year. Not sure why

Last night board games played by all ages..good time by all. Cat population declined by one as nephew's GF took a kitten back home for her roommate after cell phone messages and pictures sent!

NY tradition here..keep track of the weather the first 12 days of the year and that weather will correspond with the months of the year. I'm sewing and fixing steak for NY's day...thanks for the heads up.
Night all

QuiltingNinaSue 12-27-2014 06:55 PM

Ok, the old fashioned Monopoly game is available on Amazon.com. Progress and change is not always the right answer, at least to me. Could be I am just set in my old ways and reluctant/resistant to change. I do not have a smart phone...it might be smarter than me.nor Kindle. I do admire the Kindles, but they are a bit high in price.

I did get into my quilt room today and started working on Tennessee Waltz again. King size takes 200 four piece blocks for the corners for the 50 Fifty-four forty.blocks. Some were made too short, so I am re-measuring each pair before completing each four piece block. One stitch at a time, one day at a time, making some progress slowly. Have ten other projects to finish also. My Mo friend loved the I SPY quilt; her son-in-law wants a SF 40ers King size quilt made like that pattern. Even for $250 and supplies furnished, I will not attempt it. A different pattern, maybe.

Butterball turkeys were on sale yet, at $1.18 per pound, so I chose another one to roast today. Then I cut up all the meat and packed it into 12 jars to process and can. We both were so tired, we stored half of them in the car overnight and will finish the processing tomorrow. they will make very good noodles later in the winter.

JeanieG 12-27-2014 07:05 PM

I don't know how you accomplish all you do QNS! You just amaze me!

oksewglad 12-28-2014 10:16 AM

I survived...kids all back home safe and sound....and I slept over 12 hours last night...Mr OK checked in on me a little after 11:00 to see if I was still breathing! Guess I better get going and enjoy the sunshine. Have a good day.

Honchey 12-28-2014 02:31 PM

Hi Everyone, Not feeling too well today..me thinks it's the start of sinusitis...we bought some firewood and it's the strangest looking bunch of Hardwoods? I've ever seen..I've been sneezing ever since DH filled the wood box.. Just finished having dinner and the boys are playing in the other room so maybe I'll take out some of my sewing and play a bit...later guys H.

janRN 12-28-2014 02:52 PM

Very quiet day here in JanRnville--watched football yesterday (yay Penn State) and watched some this afternoon then will watch the Steelers tonight. This being retired is great LOL.

Got a little sewing done; I'm making a medallion throw with some of the 50 Fab blocks. Took forever to figure out the sizes, now I changed the center so all my other measurements need changed. This senior blonde's brain is over whelmed. I'll get out the graph paper again tomorrow and try a new setting (and yes, I have EQ7 and no, I don't know how to use it LOL).

JeanieG 12-28-2014 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey (Post 7024555)
Hi Everyone, Not feeling too well today..me thinks it's the start of sinusitis...we bought some firewood and it's the strangest looking bunch of Hardwoods? I've ever seen..I've been sneezing ever since DH filled the wood box.. Just finished having dinner and the boys are playing in the other room so maybe I'll take out some of my sewing and play a bit...later guys H.

My sinuses have been driving me nuts too. Think I am coming down with a cold - UGH! I just took some cold medicine and think I'll lay down for a nap! Very cold here today, just 59* and its 2:53 p.m. here. We have a basketball game tonight, our Community College team we follow is in a tournament at home. Because of when Christmas fell, they postponed it a couple of days, so we have basketball the next two nights as well. Yeah!

carriem 12-28-2014 03:46 PM

Hi All :) Sounds like everyone is keeping busy. Sorry to hear some are not feeling well.

I got some time to sew Friday with my 2 best friends and again yesterday with 1 of them....I now have 18 crazy quilt blocks done for DD's quilt (out of 48). I had to work at the hotel today. Lots of people checking out after being in town for the holiday. DH is home this week so more progress will be made on my new room...YAY!!! :)