Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

dublb 09-04-2015 10:00 AM

I love seeing everyone's quilts again.
Guess what DH dragged outta the garage? Well it was a sack w/a child's vest pattern & some fabric that is blue w/eagles & mountains on it. I bought it at least 27 years ago. Maybe 29. My DD is 32 & #1DSon is 30. The plans for the vests were for them. Yes it has been prewashed & put w/my PC project!

JeanieG 09-04-2015 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Givio and Rosy - here is a copy of my Pony Club Quilt. I thought I had it on the computer, but could not find it, so I pulled it out a took a photo. All of these blocks have horses in them. The blocks I did without the horses still needs to be sandwiched and quilted. ( I have quite a few in this category).

oksewglad 09-04-2015 12:03 PM

Don't you like Jeanie's border of fussy cut horses? Thanks for resharing, Jeanie.

JeanieG 09-04-2015 12:28 PM

Thanks ok, forgot I even did that horse border until I took it out of the linen closet! :D

Rosyhf 09-04-2015 01:57 PM

It's beautiful Jeanie and I love the border. Do you plan to do the quilting yourself or farm it out. I couldn't stand to have my tops just laying there so about 15 years ago I bought a longarm Gammill so I could quilt my quilts and did some for customers to pay it off...all paid for now lol....I love my longarm..

JeanieG 09-04-2015 02:17 PM

Rosy - I quilted it myself, it is finished. I don't care for a massively quilted quilt, so did QITD for this one. I quilted horse shoes in each of the border blocks, and a few other places that needed something. I tend to cut the batting in thirds, and quilt the center, sewing the battings together (or use iron on interfacing), then quilt another third, etc. I have a Brother 1500S straight stitch machine that does a great job.

givio 09-04-2015 07:42 PM

Bev, it sounds like you could sew little vests for your son and daughter's children (if they have some)! :-)
Jeanie, your border is adorable! I've got some tops completed in thirds, waiting to do that method like you mention. I'm trying it for the first time on a quilt-- it's in process now-- the middle is almost done. Well, I did the middle section in June, and....

dublb 09-04-2015 07:58 PM

Yes Givo I have 4 DGKids. :) I now have nooooooo interest in sewing clothing. LOL All I want to do is quilt. Alright, I did make a doll dress today 'cause I am just so tired of seeing that doll naked. I have a ton of boy toys in the play room & 1 naked doll. I guess that is ok to mostly have boy toys as I only have 1 DGD. I think this doll was my DD's at some point. Anyway I made a dress for the doll & I sewed it in place so the kids can't take it off. :D
What made me so happy about the fabric was the eagles. I can fussy cut those. They are just perfect for my patriotic PC! Between you, Rosie, & this fabric I am getting a bit excited about my PC again!

JeanieG 09-04-2015 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by givio (Post 7307003)
Bev, it sounds like you could sew little vests for your son and daughter's children (if they have some)! :-)
Jeanie, your border is adorable! I've got some tops completed in thirds, waiting to do that method like you mention. I'm trying it for the first time on a quilt-- it's in process now-- the middle is almost done. Well, I did the middle section in June, and....

I complete the whole top, layer the top, backing and batting. I them fold back the top, and cut only the batting into thirds. I baste the center section and quilt it, then reattach one side of the batting, baste and quilt the side, etc. This makes it easier to quilt on my DSM. A person on one of our FWS Quilt threads explained how to do this. I use to have the whole thing basted, and really struggled trying to get it quilted.

givio 09-05-2015 07:20 AM

Jeanie, the method I'm using is just the opposite. I'm leaving the batting whole, while the top and back are in three pieces. I pinned the middle. I rolled/folded the batting out of the way and it was a little awkward to quilt the middle section. I think this is mostly because I have only a small table to support it. I'm using a domestic Elna. But it was not heavy and there wasn't the usual tugging and struggling. Then I sewed the seams for the right side top and back, pinned the layers, and started quilting that (intending to repeat for the other side). You might like to leave your top and back in three pieces as well as your batting. There isn't any problem seaming the top if your top pattern is such that you can make it in three strips.

Bev, I've made some 18" girl doll clothes this year. A handy size, as there are lots of American Girl doll (same size) ideas online. I got her from Goodwill and she had only a dress. I thought she needed panties before I gave to my granddaughter, so I made panties, 2 teeshirt/shorts outfits, a blouse/long pants outfit, and a felt purse. You could at least make a jacket or coat, so they could have something to take off. :-) But yeah, then when I visited later, the doll was naked every time. Plastic-- can't sew the panties in place. lol

I got my PC book from Amazon today! Fast delivery! I chose one that said it was a signed copy by the author, and lo and behold! it came from Laurie Hird herself! Now I've got her address. I'd tell you it so you could write her a little friendly and thankful note, but since this post is public to the world, I won't write it. :-p

I was planning on sewing this morning, but now I think I'm going to read. :-p