Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

dublb 04-17-2016 03:50 PM

Well, I was so exhausted last night that I slept 11 hours. I have done nothing today but sit in this chair & play computer games.
Sue you are so right! I am gonna have to turn her over to the Lord & leave her in his hands!
JuneBillie I am usually an insomniac myself. I usually don't go to sleep till somewhere between 12 & 2. DH goes to bed at 9 & wakes up somewhere between 2 & 4. So sometimes we are passing as I am going to bed, he is waking up. Boy was he shocked last night when I went to bed before him! LOL

JuneBillie 04-17-2016 05:45 PM

Honchey have a good trip with your sister. :)

Dublb yes me and hubby are sometimes two ships passing in the night. lol....

Sewbizgirl I love looking around on Pinterest.

QNS I can't keep up with how fast you are on the blocks. :p

Oksewglad that is a good idea on the keyboard.

sewbizgirl 04-17-2016 06:48 PM

I had a ball doing my two '30s blocks for next week... the two "Mrs." blocks. One of them should be called "Mrs. Nothin'ButYSeams", LOL. Challenging but soooo beautiful! I'm still fairly new to PP, and today I had an epiphany... If you put the pieces together in the prescribed order, the seams will nest properly! DUH. I had been putting them together as was convenient, colorwise, and seams weren't nesting. So I tried reading the pattern pieces and doing it her way, and voila! Everything nests.

I also figured out that I can go faster and make less mistakes if I color the pattern pieces with some markers. Makes it so much easier for me.

I found some of the old threads from the early weeks and have been enjoying them. There were so many more pictures back then. What happened to everybody?

Hope you ladies are all having a wonderful weekend.

Honchey 04-18-2016 04:39 AM

Sewbiz, this is the third pping quiltalong by the same author since August 2010...almost 6 years!!! We all have a good start and a lot of the gals that started petered out...This is a long commitment and to be honest I have "lost" a lot of my "interest" along the way so I make a few blocks and maybe I'll finish sometime down further in the year..
I post the new thread every Tuesday (sometimes late) that's the least I could do. We have several new ladies that joined in the middle of this journey and are making great blocks... As you can tell by our companion thread several of us have stayed together since 2010 , 12,770 pages long.
I use crayons to keep my sanity in doing these blocks and I try to figure out which way the seams lay before sewing. sometimes I'll change the pattern with EQ7 to make it easier.. We all try to help each other with the techniques we've learned along the way..most of us never pp'd before we started in 2010...
Have to get going, leaving in an hour. later, H.

JuneBillie 04-18-2016 12:10 PM

Sewbizgirl how do you figure yours out when the paper piecing block is not symmetrical? Going by the regular paper piecing patterns have those pieces on opposite sides or I think that is how it is. I seen after I got the pieces on my Mother finished that it wasn't symmetrical, and tried setting my printer to make a copy like it only in the mirror image. It printed out the mirror image, but even the words are that way too. lol... I do color my block diagram to better follow along, and I will even write the letters and numbers on each one of the big page block diagram. I make a dot in it every time I finish one. lol...

Our grass was just mowed, and I am so stuffed up. The pollen is horrible here.

sewbizgirl 04-18-2016 12:47 PM

Susan, I just follow the 1,2,3 steps on the pattern pieces, then put them together the way it says to. Probably anybody in this group can answer your question better than I can... So far, so good for me, but I feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants! LOL.

givio 04-18-2016 09:04 PM

There are lots of Youtubes and tutorials and blogs about paper piecing online. That's how I learned it. I recommend watching some videos or looking at pictures on tutorials. But QNS's tip about using the templates to cut out pieces slightly larger for using with the paper piecing pattern is one of the best tips I've found. I wasted tons of fabric while paper piecing before she mentioned that. I was happy to give her idea a try.

JeanieG 04-18-2016 09:55 PM

Yes Givio, I also use QNS's tip on using the templates to cut out the shapes for PP'ing. Here is the video I used to learn to PP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2gKMx9CCM

Pam P 04-19-2016 02:55 AM

That is a good tutorial JeanieG. I have used a different one but this one is good. I also use QNS's tip on using the templates to cut the fabric.

sewbizgirl 04-19-2016 05:10 AM

Ah... what a great idea. The templates already have the seam allowance in them.

Good morning everyone! I'm so excited today... my "birthday" trip begins. I'm leaving for Memphis today... will spend the night at daughter's house... and then tomorrow I'll drive on to Paducah. I've never been but always wanted to go to Quilt Week.

Crazy me, I'm bringing my 301 and fabrics so I can work on these blocks in the evenings if I want to.