Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

QuiltingNinaSue 02-09-2013 03:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Come one, come all!! Bring your belly stretcher with you 'cause I love to cook! Those not coming can view pictures of almost everything.

Now, QuiltE, about the Oatmeal Bread: [ATTACH=CONFIG]394187[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]394188[/ATTACH]Baked today. I 'did' my own thing with the recipe, but it is very easy to do.

Oatmeal Bread:
1 c. boiling water
1 c. old fashion oats
one package yeast ( I use the jar, put 2 teaspoons in)
1/3 c. warm water
Sweetener is your choice:1/4 c. honey or white/brown sugar which I used or artificial sweetener used in warm water to 'proof' the yeast.
1 Tablespoon butter (I used vegetable oil second time and liked it better)
1 teaspoon of salt
3 to 3 1/2c flour. ( I used spelt flour, better bread flour and oat flour)
2 eggs (original did not use this, but it creates better texture)
1/4 c potato flakes to retain moisture in the bread.

In a large bowl, add oats and boiling water and sit aside. In a two or four measuring cup, run 'warm' tap water not to exceed 110 degrees...its warm but not hot to the wrist, add the yeast and the sugar. the yeast needs sugar or beer to start working and bubbling up.

Into the flour bowl while the yeast is getting it a start, add the eggs, salt, and the 'proofed' yeast that has started to rise and beat together. Add flour until it is ready to turn out on the counter (or in your mixer with the hook to knead) knead bread for 5 to 8 minutes. Oil or spray the bowl, put the dough into it and into your oven with the light on...the light is enough heat to rise the dough in an hour to an hour and half. Work the dough again, knead and divide into loaf pans that has been oiled or sprayed. I cut the top in three places across the top, put back into the oven to raise for about 30 minutes. Put the one egg yolk and 1 teaspoon of water mixed together over the top of the loaf and scatter a few flakes of oatmeal on top. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until when you 'thump' it sounds solid. For smaller loaf , use less liquid, and less flour. QNS

GirlLivingForJesus 02-09-2013 05:08 PM

Anael if the antibiotics don't work for his bacterial infection talk to the doctors about using colloidal silver!! It is awesome at killing bacterial infections! I don't know if they'd give it to him since it is hollistic, and most regular medical doctors don't use stuff like that, but it was worth mentioning!!

I'll be praying for him!!

carriem 02-09-2013 05:51 PM

Anael--I am glad they figured out Bram's infection. Hope they see results quickly.

I thought you would all appreciate the picture. :)

QNS--the oatmeal bread looks yummy. Thanks for the offer to stay there. If the group plans to meet so time I am IN! :)

The retreat center near Ggal would be a great place for us to meet. It is connected to a nice LQS. I know there are a couple near the Des Moines, Iowa area too....never stayed there, but came across them when looking for places to hold our retreats.

dublb 02-09-2013 06:03 PM

GLFJ - Thanks for joinin' us in prayer. :) We'll keep sendin' prayers up for Anaels family & those babies, tagether.
Anael - We will all keep prayin' for you all!

I'd love ta join ya'll in a git tagether. I'm not sure though. I have determined that 3 retreats a year is my limit & I'm already committed ta 3. I'll have ta check my finances & the timin' will be critical in the decision.

QuiltingNinaSue 02-09-2013 06:48 PM

Hey, gals, this invitation here would include the gents and your own decision about the kids. We are right between Lake Rathburn (Centerville, Iowa) and 1000 hills park at Kirksville (Missouri) ...so there are chances of entertainment on the water and fishing and hiking, visiting quilt shops in the surrounding area. With chickens, ducks and guineas running about, kids could make themselves at home. Or make this your home base and explore the area. No charge on anything here for staying or meals. Everyone make themselves at home, we are very informal, just in case PC riders, you have not realized that yet!!

Anael, its still one hour, to one day at a time for the preemies and will be for at least two years; they are getting the best of care, have loving parents and grandparents and brother, so TLC is the big ticket for each of them and yourselves. Big hugs are coming you from the PC riders. They are so small and can seem like they are so seriously ill, and the next minute will be fine...can change in a tiny moment 'cause they are sooooo small. Keep hope going strong and tough. Never lose faith and hope.

mirabelle 02-09-2013 10:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Honchey so glad you made it safely home, I have been watching the reports of the storm on tv and it looks really bad.

Carriem what a tease you are, I bet you had a smile on your face when you took that photo,:D

QuiltE DD arrived safely although it was raining heavily as she was driving on the highway, rained again this morning but has since cleared up and she has driven home. We had a wonderful day together in the sewing room. Pics to prove it...

QNS that Oatmeal bread looks scrumptious, I can almost smell it:p

Anael you and those precious babies are in my thoughts always, hugs and prayers coming your way from all of us.

So here is what I got up to this weekend. Marathon sewing session, we didn't get to bed until after midnight last night.

Dinosaurs - finished

Out of the Darkness - another block finished

Machine Mat - finished ( this was a ufo) I really only had to make the rubbish bin for it and attach

DD's Card Tricks quilt - top finished. DD made the blocks, then decided she wanted to put it together a little differently, then got herself confused with all those sashing strips and setting triangles. The design wall came in real handy and we had the top all pieced and borders on in a day

Now the house is quiet again I might make a super large cup of coffee and read a magazine, quilting magazine of course..

JeanieG 02-09-2013 11:42 PM

You and DD have been very busy Mirabelle! I really love the Card Trick, that sashing is so great! Tell your daughter "Great Job". Dinosaurs are darling too! How fun you can get together and work on things!

dublb 02-10-2013 12:13 AM

Oh, Mirabelle! Those are such wonderful quilts. :thumbup: The 2 o' ya did have an awesome sewin' marathon. I bet it is wonderful ta git tagether & just sew.

janRN 02-10-2013 05:51 AM

QNS, thank you for the invitation although with my sense of direction I'd probably end up in Maine (altho MrJanRN got me a GPS for Christmas LOL). Love Oatmeal bread and yours looks yummy.

Mirab, what fun to have a DD that likes to sew. And all of your work is beautiful.

Bev, how's that new vehicle? I'm looking at new SUVs and can't make up my mind what I want. I have a Hyundai Santa Fe, love it but want something maybe one size smaller. Maybe not--I'll just keep looking until something says "buy me".

Anne, glad you & DH & DS made it home safely and still wed. My son was traveling with a lot of guys from Philadelphia and their flights were cancelled for Friday; how terrible to have to spend another day in Mexico, right?

QuiltingNinaSue 02-10-2013 06:27 AM

It is quite simple JanRN, you have QuiltE and Anne show up at your house and you all come in together having a wonderful FART trip to here and we continue it with all the others!!

Mirabelle, your pictures are wonderful of the block and quilts...your were very productive. Lovely results.