Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

QuiltE 07-26-2013 05:19 AM

OJ Bars ... why not give it a try?

How be both of you do it ... and then we can have a taste-off in the RV!!!!!!!!!! :D

carriem 07-26-2013 05:21 AM

QNS--great idea to call nearby churches. Youth groups are often looking ways to volunteer in their community...of course the reward of pizza would probably be good incentive too. :)

Bev-not sure how far apart your two houses are, but you could have kids from a church close to your old house help load and then have a group near your new house unload. You could donate a portion of what you would have paid the movers to each group.

Off to mix up some oj bars, then get kids up to do some school. I started with two younger ones (11 and 13) this week. Oldest (15) goes back to school Aug 21st.

carriem 07-26-2013 07:38 AM

School is done (only doing about half of their subjects for a couple weeks) and so are the bars. I added more like 3/4c of the OJ since I knew it wasn't going to be as strong as 1/4c lemon juice. They turned out gooey and yummy, just still not as much flavor as I would have liked. Too bad I didn't have some of QNS's orange zest to throw in there. :) Oh well we all like them and I don't think they will last long.

Now to wash dishes and head to the clubhouse....

QuiltingNinaSue 07-26-2013 08:00 AM

Little corn starch in the OJ before blending it in might have helped....add corn starch to cold ingredients never hot to thicken things. I use it in making fresh pies, although others use tapioca instead.

Anael 07-26-2013 10:49 AM

I'm going to try tomorrow. Maybe lemon mixed with OJ and like QNS said, a bit corn starch.

carriem 07-26-2013 01:25 PM

Does the corn starch bring out the flavor of the OJ? Or just help to thicken?

QuiltE 07-26-2013 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by carriem (Post 6197855)
Does the corn starch bring out the flavor of the OJ? Or just help to thicken?

No it won't flavour it ... only thicken.

I had been thinking about this, this afternoon, and was thinking the flavour wouldn't be as potent as lemon juice would be.
Wonder? ... perhaps use frozen orange juice concentrate (before adding the required water). It'd be colourful, plus have a lot more flavour.

JeanieG 07-26-2013 02:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is some more eye candy for all of you! DD sent me this beautiful MB, which arrived today. She said it is from Quilter's Cache, and is called "Old Favorite". Also here is a photo of all five!

QuiltE - Yes I think the orange concentrate would work much better than just orange juice. Sounds yummy!

Anael - what gorgeous countryside you get to bike through. I am so scared to ride a bike in town, but in the country I'd go in a heartbeat!

deranged_damsel 07-26-2013 02:37 PM

YAY! Jeanie Im glad your new MB made it safely to its new home :D

CONGRATS on the new grandbaby :D :D :D the name made me smile! Hannah Jean was THE top most name on the list for our last child :D she ended up with a similar variation!

QuiltE 07-26-2013 03:02 PM

DDamsel and JeanieG ... oohlala! The more I see batiks like this, the more I am falling in lover with batiks! And to think DDamsel tried to tell use that she was running late on this!!! :D

Any more MBs??
(I think there are quite a few which have not arrived to their new homes.)

(sorry ... I didn't get to the PO today ... do you think it is there looking for me? Tmro for sure .......)